Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [5]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [2]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: When to take diagnostic test? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mayurjoshi wrote:
I started studying for GMAT today with Official Review 13th edition. I have also ordered MGMAT books. The official review book has a diagnostic test in chapter 3. Should I take the test right away or wait until I review all the question types in Quant and Verbal?

Thanks!!

Take the diagnostic right away.
If you score well, you can stick to OG questions and get a couple of specific subject books later if need be.
If you score well in some sections and not so in others, get the specific subject books of those sections in which you did not score well and go through them before trying out the OG questions.
If you do not score well, get the entire package of books of a test prep company, go through it thoroughly and work on the OG questions later.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Sanya15,

Could you study for another week or so, and then take the practice exam?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sanya15 wrote:
Yes, I m doing that. Thanks TTP for your response.

Posted from my mobile device

Awesome. Once you take the practice exam, feel free to report back.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Vercules wrote:
mayurjoshi wrote:
I started studying for GMAT today with Official Review 13th edition. I have also ordered MGMAT books. The official review book has a diagnostic test in chapter 3. Should I take the test right away or wait until I review all the question types in Quant and Verbal?

Thanks!!

Hi Mayur,

I agree with Karishma on taking a diagnostic test. I would suggest that before taking the OG diagnostic test first, you take the first GMATPrep test and determine your Zero level score. Vercules

Thanks Vercules, for the suggestions. Would it not be a waste of GMAT Prep test (we got only 2 original from GMAC) to use it so early in the preparation? When I take the diagnostic test should I focus on gettings the answers correct and not worry much about total time for each section but record the time taken to answer each question?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
mayurjoshi wrote:
Thanks Vercules, for the suggestions. Would it not be a waste of GMAT Prep test (we got only 2 original from GMAC) to use it so early in the preparation? When I take the diagnostic test should I focus on gettings the answers correct and not worry much about total time for each section but record the time taken to answer each question?

Yes, in my opinion, you should not take the GMAT prep test just yet. Take it after one complete round of prep material. You will know the question types well and you will get good guidance on your strengths and weaknesses from the test taken at that time.
And yes, the diagnostic can be pretty much un-timed but don't sit on a question for 10 mins. No time-recording needed. You are trying to figure out how conceptually strong you are and nothing else.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Vercules wrote:
I do not disagree with you completely. GMATPrep is without any doubt one of the most important resources. Both of the ways to kick start the preparation would be good, still I would prefer taking the GMATPrep test first and no, it will not be a waste of resource. The reason is that for GMAT everyone one has his/ her goals in mind. For most of us it 20 - 30 points higher than the average score for the B-School. Again for many of us it comes out to be around 700. Philosophically, to go somewhere you must be aware of where you are at present. I think the same way for GMAT, if you want to score 720 then it will be good to know where are you at present. Are you starting at 550 or 600 or 700. We should not neglect the fact that we are dealing with a computer adaptive test, and it takes some time to get used to this way of test taking. Why not taste the real thing initially.

Moreover, GMATPrep is a lot more than just 2 computer adaptive tests. Each GMAT prep test does not contain only 41 Quant and 37 verbal questions, it contains a lot more questions of varying difficulty levels. I did each test at least 5 times, just to make sure that I see all the questions present in the tests. Though the scores will be inflated after second attempt; I never scored 750 even in the third attempt of GMATPrep test. Anyway you will have to spend considerable amount of time on these tests, so taking one initially would not be such a waste of an important resource.

I'll share my experience. In my three months of focused study, I took the first GMATPrep initially and scored 590 and set an intermediate goal of 650 then thoroughly studied the study material that I have. Mid way of my prep I took other tests (MGMAT) and crossed the 650 barrier and set another target of 710. In the last two weeks I did only I did only GMATPrep tests and other official questions. In fact, last week I did only GMATPrep tests and I was amazed to see different questions that I got incorrect every time I took the test. For the repeat tests also it took me 5 hours to analyze and study the questions that I got incorrect. Tow days before my actual test, on fourth repeat of GMATPrep test, I scored 730 and in the actual one 750.

Mayur, in the end these are just opinions, its your call after all. You should choose a plan or strategy in which you feel most comfortable. Either way, if you are consistent and focused in your preparation you will achieve your target score.

FYI
I and Bunuel have done thorough testing and analysis of GMATPrep software, it would give you more insights about the algorithm. Check them out

gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenario-ir-147106.html#p1181172

All the best,

Vercules

I absolutely agree with what you said. In fact, a few months back, I wrote a post on why it is important to take a GMAT prep test as soon as you can.:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2012/08 ... prep-test/

For discussion sake, here is my concern in this particular case:

The original poster, mayurjoshi's question was this: Should I take the test right away or wait until I review all the question types in Quant and Verbal?
My inference from this is that he is not aware of the various question formats in GMAT. In that case, I feel it discourages students to take a full GMAT simulation. As an example, let me tell you about some students I get in my class. We suggest people to take a full length diagnostic before starting the class so that they know exactly where they are. It helps them and us establish appropriate plans for their goals and expectations. Most of them are anyway aware of GMAT question formats. Now, a few students are not aware of the question formats (what DS/CR questions are, for example). They come to the class feeling spent, discouraged and disillusioned because 'they couldn't even understand half the questions'. After one DS/CR class, you can feel the difference in their outlook. They are bright and rearing to go since finally 'they get what DS/CR is all about (and not very hard at all)'. Hence, I advise my students who are new to GMAT to take the first GMAT prep test after one round of prep material so that investing 4 hrs and tons of effort is worthwhile. What is the point of losing it mid-way if you don't know what half the questions are asking. The pattern of the questions is not intuitive to everyone. The diagnostic, on the other hand, is meant to be for people who have thought about GMAT for the very first time. It is quite simple, yet effective.

Anyway, those are my opinions from my experience. They would be different for different people.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Hi Veritas Karishma,
I m also in the same dilemma about when to take the GMAT diagnostic test?
I do not remember formulae,concepts or any methodologies when it comes to Geometry and advanced maths, I just familiarised myself with what does DS and PS question means.
In Verbal- I do not know how to make sense of CR questions, though ok with RC and SC can be a guess work based on my logic.

P.S. I tried taking a 10min quiz on alegbra with 5questions and I fared badly on speed. Same was with RC.

Do you think I should still write the GMAT diagnostic test now or complete 1 round of my entire study material and then only write the diagnostic test.

Please let me know your thoughts.
#veritas #diagnoticTest

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sanya15,

Approximately 2 weeks ago, we discussed this exact issue (here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/e-gmat-vs-to ... 22211.html) and we agreed that having you study for 1-2 weeks before taking your first CAT/mock would be a reasonable idea. Have you done any studying during that time?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes, I m doing that. Thanks TTP for your response.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Please understand this forum gives the freedom of re asking anything to anyone. I was not satisfied with your response earlier.

Also maybe you can stop following my questions :)

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Sanya15,

Approximately 2 weeks ago, we discussed this exact issue (here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/e-gmat-vs-to ... 22211.html) and we agreed that having you study for 1-2 weeks before taking your first CAT/mock would be a reasonable idea. Have you done any studying during that time?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

GMAT Club Bot