Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 13:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

when to take gmat this year,please help!!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

when to take gmat this year,please help!!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2011, 19:23
sir, i am a student planning to appear for my gmat in jan 2012 . i am expecting a score of 720 in gmat. when will i be able to apply for my mba without job experience.should i take my exam earlier than january. if so when and why? please let me know ..
sir, i m serving as president of a social welfare organisation which our seniors at college started.. so i think that can serve as advantage. its a registered org.so is it goin to help me ? how long does it take to prepare the appplication?
as far as my academics are concerned,, i have 88%in my matriculation, 88%in my intermediate
and 8.0 in my graduation[bachelor in pharmacy]
i am expecting 720 to 730 in gmat..

just one more month for exam...

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: when to take gmat this year,please help!!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2011, 17:28
This post received
KUDOS
This is actually a much harder question to answer than at first glance. The quick answer is "study for 4-6 months at least and take it." But you have circumstances which raise further questions:

1) You seem like quite the "topper" as Desis would say. So yeah: if you want to go to IIM or IBS or something, then yeah, you're on your way without much job experience. Go further afield to Europe and the US, and with very few exceptions they want work experience. (Or parents who can contribute gazillions to their endowments. Or something you did that saved the world. Or all of the above. Then again, if that's the case, you probably wouldn't even be on this BB or wanting to go to B-School.)

2) The social welfare bit is great. Be sure to keep up that service element. It will help you get in if it's truly meaningful and (more importantly) you get a kicka$$ rec letter out of it.

3) Bachelor of Pharmacy and MBA? Hmmm, what's your story then?? I'm not asking you to post it actually - that's your business and none of anyone else's (unless you want to talk about it). But an adcom *will* ask about the relevancy. Make sure your intentions make sense and fit into the profile your target schools want to cultivate in their student bodies. Unless it's IIM - then just focus on CAT.

I'm sure other readers can come up with even more questions to ask. Bottom line: you need to do your homework first. You need to think about this before committing to anything and make sure it makes sense.

There are a sh-- *ton* of posts on this forum for you to look through covering the multitude of questions that might arise from this type of post. As I'm not really sure where to begin, I'm not sure where you need to go first (ie, studying tips? study plan? books? schools? geez, I'm kinda flustered).

All the best in your plans!

mohan514 wrote:
sir, i am a student planning to appear for my gmat in jan 2012 . i am expecting a score of 720 in gmat. when will i be able to apply for my mba without job experience.should i take my exam earlier than january. if so when and why? please let me know ..
sir, i m serving as president of a social welfare organisation which our seniors at college started.. so i think that can serve as advantage. its a registered org.so is it goin to help me ? how long does it take to prepare the appplication?
as far as my academics are concerned,, i have 88%in my matriculation, 88%in my intermediate

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: when to take gmat this year,please help!!!! [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 02:12
Expert's post
mohan514 wrote:

The top MBA programs in Europe and the US expect at least 2 years of full-time work experience. The exceptions would be HBS's 2+2 program in which college seniors apply and then - if accepted - work for 2 years before joining the class. The Indian School of Business just started a similar program called the Young Leaders Programme.
There's no reason to take the GMAT before you are ready for the test. The score is valid for 5 years from your test day.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog