Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 11:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When to take the GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

When to take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 12:33
I'm currently an undergraduate student in my Junior year and I'm beginning the early(very early) steps of preparing for MBA school applications. Is it best to take the GMAT now when the material is fresh in my mind or wait until a couple years closer to my applicatons?

Thank you,

Greg
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When to take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
The GMAT score will last 5 years from the day you take the test. You should figure out when you want to apply to MBA programs at the latest, or earliest, and plan accordingly.

Studying for GMAT is not like studying for say, economics because when you actually do well in economics class you are going know most of the stuff for a very long time, if not for life. GMAT has many different concepts that you will not see ever again for the rest of your life. Therefore, you definitely do not want to spend time studying and then take the test months later. You will forget a lot of things and your maximum score would suffer.

I think it all breaks down on when you want to apply to schools. Keep in mind that if you get crazy hours when you start working it could be very challenging for you to study.

Hope it helps.

Set your aims high, carpe diem

Intern
Intern

Re: When to take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 14:10
Thank you! I appreciate the advice. Ironically enough, I am an Economics major.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 17:14
This post received
KUDOS
Are you planning to apply to programs such as the HBS 2+2 or the Yale silver scholars? Then, yes, you can start thinking about preparing for your GMAT when you think you have some time from coursework.

If not, then I would say its too early. You may better spend your time now worrying about grades. You can always prepare and retake GMAT if need be, there won't be another opportunity to improve your ungrad grades.

Hope this helps. cheers
Intern
Intern

Re: When to take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 14:56
With those programs in particular, are they looking for primarily a strong GPA and strong GMAT score? Is there something else they look for? Also, is it the Upper-Division GPA or overall? Thank you!
Re: When to take the GMAT?   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2011, 14:56