Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 17:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When to take the test? And how to improve my preparation ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

When to take the test? And how to improve my preparation ? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 10:27
Hi everyone I'm new in the forum and this is my first post, I found the forum yesterday while searching for some info about the Gmat, and i must admit that it's a real pity to not have found it until now. I'm Italian and I study economy here in Italy to get my first degree. Last September I decided to take the Gmat with the target of a +650 score in September 2013 ,so in March I started to prepare, the first thing i did was to take the GMAT prep and i got 570. I found it very hard, so I began with a little English and Math revision and then I bought the GMAT review from the official website of MBA, expecting to find some tips to prepare, but I found only a good source of practice, I've divided it in groups of questions to simulate the GMAT test, and so in the last months I've been doing a little of practicing (very few, only some hours a week).
Today (after a month without practicing) I've taken the second practice test from the GMAT prep and i scored 690 (q47 v38 IR 5). I must admit that I didn't perceived an improvement of this kind and I know that i can't trust a lot on the simulation, but do you think that I could try the real test at the end of August and get a result of 650+?
Now I got more free time so I could study for the test 2 or 3 hours a day, but I must admit that I don't really know how to "study" for the GMAT, in these months I've been only practicing, can you suggest me a more "strategic approach" to the thing, maybe following another book (Manhattan could be good?), I think that my weakest points are the problem solving (especially geometric problems) and the sentence correction. I must also admit that looking to some of the free questions in the quantitative area of the forum, I found the pretty harder than the one from the GMAT review or the GMAT prep.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When to take the test? And how to improve my preparation ? [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 11:03
This post received
KUDOS
There are two options I can suggest to you based on the little experience I have.

Option 1) Self Study
Self Study strategy can be different for different people. For example here's what I have been doing for past few days, preparing mainly for SC:
Day 1 :
Theory: Complete Chapter 1, 2 (Meaning) from MGMAT SC Guide
Practice for the relevant theory :
Meaning based questions 13th Edition: 10, 14, 20, 21, 25, 31, 39, 49, 58, 94, 96,135.
Meaning based questions Verbal Review: 3, 18, 22, 36, 54, 72

Day 2 :
Theory : Complete Chapter 3 (Subject-Verb Agreement) from MGMAT SC Guide
Practice for the relevant theory :
Subject-Verb Agreement Questions 13th Edition: 3, 6, 7, 16, 30, 45, 61, 67, 70, 81, 88, 103, 129, 133, 140, D41, D43
Subject-Verb Agreement Questions Verbal Review: 10, 11, 14, 20, 34, 35, 65, 101

and so on...

I am targeting SC first because I believe it will help me to comprehend CR arguments better. And improving CR will consequently improve RC. This is just my assumption. I don't know what works for others.
I make the plans and self assignment such as above in advance for the next day.
Right now I am at chapter 9th and my overall accuracy is exactly 89.27% in SC. How am i so sure about the accuracy?
I have maintained an error log of each and every OG SC problem I have solved. Its like the most common thing that experts recommend.
I solve each and every OG problem under timed condition. Initially I used to allot 1 min 30 sec for every SC question, but now I have started restricting it to 1 min 15 sec. And it includes the time spent for some petty things such as turning the pages, locating the problem number etc.

Option 2) Prep Course
You can choose from loads of prep courses that suit your need. Try to research properly about them before spending money. One of the options is to scan through reviews here:
http://gmatclub.com/reviews/?fl=menu
Also make full use of the ones that offer free trial. What's there to lose?

If you have some time, try to browse the forums as long as you can. There are loads of success stories here. I have subscribed to gmatclub newsletter and I get links to new success stories every now and then. They inspire you, and give you lots of options.
Good Luck preparing. :)

It ain't about how hard you hit.
It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward.
That's how winning is done!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: When to take the test? And how to improve my preparation ? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 13:02
Thanks, I think that it could be a good approach for me, I've managed to improve the RC, but the SC is a problem for me I often get the right answer only with an intelligent guessing. But how about the MGMAT? Did you find it good for the theory?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When to take the test? And how to improve my preparation ? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 20:26
I liked MGMAT SC Guide very much. You also get access to 6 online MGMAT CATs with it, one of the bests out there. It is specifically designed for gmat, so don't expect it to be like a any other high school grammar book that will teach you parts of speech etc.
Why don't you try its sample pages at Amazon.
Here you go : http://www.amazon.com/Sentence-Correction-Strategy-Edition-Manhattan/dp/1935707671

It ain't about how hard you hit.
It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward.
That's how winning is done!

Re: When to take the test? And how to improve my preparation ?   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2013, 20:26