Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 18:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When to withdraw from waitlists?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

When to withdraw from waitlists? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 08:39
I have accepted an offer at one school and intend to go there, and I am currently on the waitlist at 4 other schools.
At what point should I withdraw from the waitlists at the other schools, if it even matters? After all, I am not taking another applicant's spot by remaining on the waitlist, and I am a little curious to see if I eventually get admitted to one of these other schools. (By the way all the schools in question are top 20 according to USN rankings. Two are ranked lower than the school I chose, and two are ranked higher. To maintain confidentiality, I prefer not to reveal the schools' names.)
Current Student
Schools: Texas '12
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: When to withdraw from waitlists? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 09:50
You should withdraw from any waitlist you wouldn’t attend over the school you’re already admitted to. Your right that you are not currently taking any ones spot but if you get admitted then later decline it makes some one else wait that much longer. Read some of the postings here. There are a lot of people stuck in limbo and as someone who spent some time on a waitlist it isn’t fun. Hours can seem like eternities as you frantically refresh your application status online. I also discovered that it will help you move on with your plans to attend X school and solidify things such as housing. Just my 0.02.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: When to withdraw from waitlists? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 10:09
sdg wrote:
There are a lot of people stuck in limbo and as someone who spent some time on a waitlist it isn’t fun. Hours can seem like eternities as you frantically refresh your application status online.

I am well aware of the hardships of being on the waitlist. I have been on one waitlist since January, and on two since March, and only got my first admits in May- so I've had my share of nerve wrecking wait. But you are making a good point about making someone else wait even longer. I guess it is also better to withdraw from a waitlist before they kick me out- at least I'll have some dignity left.
Re: When to withdraw from waitlists?   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2010, 10:09