Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When Will You Retire?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

When Do You Think You Will Retire?

• 0% [0]
  • 0% [0]
  • 3% [1]
  • 22% [7]
  • 25% [8]
  • 48% [15]
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
When Will You Retire? [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 08:05
So assuming we all get into b-school, and we do well, and from there we get into our desired industries, when do you think (let's be realistic here, not overly optimistic) you will be able to retire?

Is everyone's goal pretty much to retire as soon as possible?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 08:13
Your realize that many people work well into their 60s and sometimes 70s, right?
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 08:15
Retiring too early could backfire as well. Word is that we humans are living longer and need the mental stimulation in out twilight years to ward off alzheimers disease. As long as I can do what I like and get remunerated for it, I'm going to keep on truckin'. Alan Greenspan kept the helm of the Fed Board up into his 80s and I'd bet my bottom dollar that Branson and Gates have no intentions of throwing in the towel any day soon.

To accurately answer your poll, I'd need another couple options.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 08:54
Just realized I totally screwed up the options the last one should be 55-60, not 51-60.

I realize many people work in their 60's and 70's, I just assumed that people wouldn't pick those options.

GMATT73, I agree, I would still like to be doing "something" when I get into my 50's and 60's, whether it's some sort of business venture where I can work 20 hours a week, or if it's doing some sort of charity thing. But I guess what I meant with my question was, at what point do you think you will have enough money that you won't need to worry about being constantly employed. For instance maybe when someone is 55 they can "retire" and travel the world for a couple years, and then maybe settle down in Santa Monica running a little surf shop or something to have a little income to supplement savings.

I'm assuming most of us are headed for the rat-race, so I'm looking forward to the day I can step out of that, and trying to make that as soon as possible. I think I can do that in my mid to late 40's if I invest wisely and manage to do okay in consulting.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 10:38
never.

I'll die working.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 10:55
I'd say as soon as I can save a few million bucks and have a couple of houses and cars paid for, then I'm out!

i'd spend the rest of my days travelling, open a resturant/lounge, maybe have a small office to manage my investments, or hire someone to do it...
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 17:18
Fluffydot,

That's what I'm talkin' about, good plan.

Necromonger - That's what I see when I look in the mirror these days.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 17:26
johnny, i'm tellin' ya, we're twins.

I will probably have enough socked away by the time i'm 50, assuming i don't end up supporting all three of my parents and that my mba adventures don't completely wipe out the assets i've accrued.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 17:53
Wouldn't that be nice? To retire while you're still mobile and able to enjoy life? What's the saying, "You should be rich when you're young and poor when you're old." Something like that. I mean when I'm 50 am I even going to want to travel as much? Right now a vacation can be adventure, relaxation, culture, and nightlife. When you're 50 I imagine you're down to culture and relaxation.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 18:06
As soon as I've made enough money for the money to take my place (at working, that is), I'll quit. I'm hoping I'll reach that point around 45-50, and probably dedicate my time to teaching.

I'd hate to work for someone until I'm forced to retire. After a certain point it gets kinda nasty (young boys disrepecting you and the whole package).
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2007, 01:50
lepium wrote:
As soon as I've made enough money for the money to take my place (at working, that is), I'll quit. I'm hoping I'll reach that point around 45-50, and probably dedicate my time to teaching.

I'd hate to work for someone until I'm forced to retire. After a certain point it gets kinda nasty (young boys disrepecting you and the whole package).

same here
  [#permalink] 12 Feb 2007, 01:50