Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 18:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Whenever a major political scandal erupts before an election

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Whenever a major political scandal erupts before an election [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 17:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Whenever a major political scandal erupts before an election and voters blame the scandal on all parties about equally, virtually all incumbents, from whatever party, seeking reelection are returned to office. However, when voters blame such a scandal on only one party, incumbents from that party are likely to be defeated by challengers from other parties. The proportion of incumbents who seek reelection is high and remarkably constant from election to election.

If the voters' reactions are guided by a principle, which one of the following principles would best account for the contrast in reactions described above?

(A) Whenever one incumbent is responsible for one major political scandal and another incumbent is responsible for another, the consequences for the two incumbents should be the same.

(B) When a major political scandal is blamed on incumbents from all parties, that judgment is more accurate than any judgment that incumbents from only on party are to blame.

(C) Incumbents who are rightly blamed for a major political scandal should not seek reelection, but if they do, they should not be returned to office.

(D) Major political scandals can practically always be blamed on incumbents, but whether those incumbents should be voted out of office depends on who their challengers are.

(E) When major political scandals are less the responsibility of individual incumbents than of the parties to which they belong, whatever party was responsible must be penalized when possible.

please explain your answers
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 18:33
well..this sure was tough for me, I choose D. I will explain if I'm right.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 18:37
if I had 2 min for this on the exam, I would go with C, I think it's tough

(A) we don't care about the consequences... we don't know what they are... OUT OF SCOPE

(B) we don't know whether the judgment is accurate, we know nothing about it from the argument itself OUT OF SCOPE

(E) again... cheezy.. penalty? where does the argument talk about it? OUT OF SCOPE

now to me the war is b/w C and D, but before we look into those remember this quote from the argument:
However, when voters blame such a scandal on only one party, incumbents from that party are likely to be defeated by challengers from other parties.

based on this I chose C... it shows contrast that the question is asking for
honestly I didn't even try to understand D as it took me a while just to digest the argument and C looked like IT to me, especially regarding contrast... so POE and this quote lead to my answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Political party [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 19:25
skandhadarshan wrote:
Whenever a major political scandal erupts before an election and voters blame the scandal on all parties about equally, virtually all incumbents, from whatever party, seeking reelection are returned to office. However, when voters blame such a scandal on only one party, incumbents from that party are likely to be defeated by challengers from other parties. The proportion of incumbents who seek reelection is high and remarkably constant from election to election.

If the voters' reactions are guided by a principle, which one of the following principles would best account for the contrast in reactions described above?

(A) Whenever one incumbent is responsible for one major political scandal and another incumbent is responsible for another, the consequences for the two incumbents should be the same.

(B) When a major political scandal is blamed on incumbents from all parties, that judgment is more accurate than any judgment that incumbents from only on party are to blame.

(C) Incumbents who are rightly blamed for a major political scandal should not seek reelection, but if they do, they should not be returned to office.

(D) Major political scandals can practically always be blamed on incumbents, but whether those incumbents should be voted out of office depends on who their challengers are.

(E) When major political scandals are less the responsibility of individual incumbents than of the parties to which they belong, whatever party was responsible must be penalized when possible.

please explain your answers

It is about penalizing the incumbants.

If
others =! guilty , do not elect incumbant
else
elect incumbant

EndIf

D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 19:45
C can't be right. The incumbents are not blamed for the scandal, it's the parties that are blamed.

D for me.

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 19:48
Nobody picked E????

Let me explain:
E says that if candidate is not responsible and party is responsible then party should be penalized.

If E is true then
1. When all parties are blamed: All parties are penalized and there should not be any effect.
2. When only one party is plamed: That party is penalized and will not be re-elected.

All other choices talks mostly about incumbents rather than political parties. But the passage is talking about blames on political parties.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 19:54
D.

Major political scandals can practically always be blamed on incumbents, but whether those incumbents should be voted out of office depends on who their challengers are.

If the challengers are also responsible for the scandal, then voters are left with no option.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 22:33
Will go with E here.

Was torn between D and E.

But the problem with D IMO is that it talks only about incumbents and not about parties.

E should be right as explained by Dahiya
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2006, 01:54
I went with C. Very tricky one. OA please!!

Hema

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2006, 09:58
The OA is E.
Great job dahiya.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2006, 11:12
ps_dahiya wrote:
Nobody picked E????

Let me explain:
E says that if candidate is not responsible and party is responsible then party should be penalized.

If E is true then
1. When all parties are blamed: All parties are penalized and there should not be any effect.
2. When only one party is plamed: That party is penalized and will not be re-elected.

All other choices talks mostly about incumbents rather than political parties. But the passage is talking about blames on political parties.

Stroke of genius! I got D :cry:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2006, 16:08
Dahiya I understand your reasoning, but I find the reasoning for D also valid could you explain why we prefer E over D ?
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2006, 06:56
prude_sb wrote:
Dahiya I understand your reasoning, but I find the reasoning for D also valid could you explain why we prefer E over D ?

All other choices, except E, talk mostly about incumbents rather than political parties. But the passage is talking about blames on political parties.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2006, 14:44
cool thank you
  [#permalink] 27 Aug 2006, 14:44