Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 01:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Whenever anyone tells me that a public official is corrupt,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 192 [2] , given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Whenever anyone tells me that a public official is corrupt, [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 21:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

50% (02:34) correct 50% (01:33) wrong based on 257 sessions
Whenever anyone tells me that a public official is corrupt, I immediately evaluate whether it is more likely that this person would either lie or be lied to, or that the corruption he describes actually exists. I weigh the self-serving or slanderous motivations that person may have against the evidence that the public official is corrupt. If the evidence outweighs the possibility of slander, then I further investigate the charge.

If the author does not further investigate a corruption charge, he assumes that:

A. people sometimes lie for self-serving reasons
B. corruption never happens among public officials
C. the evidence of corruption outweighs the possibility of slander
D. investigations into the corruption of public officials are usually fruitless
E. it is certain that the public official has been slandered
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Corrupt Public Officials [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 00:50
Given:
Person Claims official is corrupt -> Possibility is it being a lie or the listener is lied to or the official is really corrupt.
Order of investigation: Claim of official being corrupt -> Weigh possibility of self serving motivation or slander on the part of the claimer -> If not slander then further investigate

A. people sometimes lie for self-serving reasons - The person claiming the official to be corrupt has lied for self serving reasons - Correct
B. corruption never happens among public officials - Too strong a statement to make and cannot be generalized to all public officials - Incorrect
C. the evidence of corruption outweighs the possibility of slander - If the possiblity of slander is outweighed, it does not automatically mean that evidence of corruption is strong - Incorrect
D. investigations into the corruption of public officials are usually fruitless - Outcome cannot be determined based on assumption - Incorrect
E. it is certain that the public official has been slandered - If futher investigation is not done it means the offical has been slandered. Given in the passage - Incorrect
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 100

Re: Online GATE Coaching [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 03:17
dronacharya wrote:
Founded by Alumni of Indian Institute of Science and Indian Institute of Technology, we offer comprehensive & rigorous Training for the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering and various Government and Public Sector Unit Jobs.Dronies is one of the institutions that provide one with online e-learning program through GATE online coaching. Online Classroom teaching includes thorough coverage of entire syllabus as per Examination notification. In GATE online we conduct several test of map performance and feedback. Online lectures are helpful to gain good knowledge.

Please stop spamming. You have made the same identical post in seven different threads. These threads are meant for meaningful discussions pertaining to the GMAT and not for advertising your firms' services.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 12

Re: Corrupt Public Officials [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 04:56
sidhu09 wrote:
Given:
Person Claims official is corrupt -> Possibility is it being a lie or the listener is lied to or the official is really corrupt.
Order of investigation: Claim of official being corrupt -> Weigh possibility of self serving motivation or slander on the part of the claimer -> If not slander then further investigate

A. people sometimes lie for self-serving reasons - The person claiming the official to be corrupt has lied for self serving reasons - Correct
B. corruption never happens among public officials - Too strong a statement to make and cannot be generalized to all public officials - Incorrect
C. the evidence of corruption outweighs the possibility of slander - If the possiblity of slander is outweighed, it does not automatically mean that evidence of corruption is strong - Incorrect
D. investigations into the corruption of public officials are usually fruitless - Outcome cannot be determined based on assumption - Incorrect
E. it is certain that the public official has been slandered - If futher investigation is not done it means the offical has been slandered. Given in the passage - Incorrect

I was confused between A and E. I dont understand why E is wrong.
I mean it clearly states that if there is no slander, then only further investigations are carried out.
macjas, can you please explain?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 100

Re: Corrupt Public Officials [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 05:16
This post received
KUDOS
mehulsayani wrote:
I mean it clearly states that if there is no slander, then only further investigations are carried out.

I have to admit that this CR went way over my head :)
Here's the official explanation:

A: his argument presents a dichotomy. When someone claims that a public official is corrupt, the author evaluates whether that claim is true based on evidence or that the person making the claim is lying. The claim is investigated if the evidence of corruption outweighs the possibility of slander. (Conversely, the claim is not investigated if the possibility of slander outweighs the evidence of corruption.) This is a bit of a trick question because in either case, the author assumes that people sometimes lie for self-serving reasons, response (A).

B: Another assumption made is that public officials are sometimes corrupt, so we can eliminate (B).

C and D: C) would be true only in cases when the author further investigates the corruption charge. There is no evidence in the passage for (D).

E: (E) is incorrect. By not investigating further, the author isn’t assuming that slander has certainly occurred; he has determined only that the evidence of slander outweighs the evidence of corruption.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 563 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Corrupt Public Officials [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 09:47
Expert's post
macjas wrote:
mehulsayani wrote:

I have to admit that this CR went way over my head :)
Here's the official explanation:

A: his argument presents a dichotomy. When someone claims that a public official is corrupt, the author evaluates whether that claim is true based on evidence or that the person making the claim is lying. The claim is investigated if the evidence of corruption outweighs the possibility of slander. (Conversely, the claim is not investigated if the possibility of slander outweighs the evidence of corruption.) This is a bit of a trick question because in either case, the author assumes that people sometimes lie for self-serving reasons, response (A).

B: Another assumption made is that public officials are sometimes corrupt, so we can eliminate (B).

C and D: C) would be true only in cases when the author further investigates the corruption charge. There is no evidence in the passage for (D).

E: (E) is incorrect. By not investigating further, the author isn’t assuming that slander has certainly occurred; he has determined only that the evidence of slander outweighs the evidence of corruption.

Nice explanation mcjas. Even though I understood the stimulus, still I chose E. Got my mistake. Nice question as well.
This only tells me that its still a long way to go to destroy the gmat.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Whenever anyone tells me that a public official is corrupt, [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 19:10
+1 A

I have a more direct way to find the answer in this question:

When the author says: "I weigh the self-serving or slanderous motivations that person may have".

It's clear that he is assuming that sometimes people lie for self-serving reasons.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 20

Re: Whenever anyone tells me that a public official is corrupt, [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 13:09
This post received
KUDOS
macjas wrote:
Whenever anyone tells me that a public official is corrupt, I immediately evaluate whether it is more likely that this person would either lie or be lied to, or that the corruption he describes actually exists. I weigh the self-serving or slanderous motivations that person may have against the evidence that the public official is corrupt. If the evidence outweighs the possibility of slander, then I further investigate the charge.

If the author does not further investigate a corruption charge, he assumes that:

A. people sometimes lie for self-serving reasons
B. corruption never happens among public officials
C. the evidence of corruption outweighs the possibility of slander
D. investigations into the corruption of public officials are usually fruitless
E. it is certain that the public official has been slandered

Good Questions. Here's how I approached this question. When I read the stimulus and the question, my first thought was that the author assumes the claimer to have a self-serving reason to defame the public official. He then proves his own assumption wrong by investigating the claimer. Once he is satisfied that the claimer is correct (evidence outweighs the possibility of slander), he investigates the public official. Choice A fit this line of though (pre-thinking) aptly and thus I chose A.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 610 [0], given: 5

Re: Whenever anyone tells me that a public official is corrupt, [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 19:54
Expert's post
(A) is basically exploring the possibility that the "slanderous motivations outweigh the evidence"

So ppl accuse a public official- either there is evidence and public official is really corrupt. OR accuser is self-serving..doing it to slander the public official.

Posted from my mobile device Image

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 18

Re: Whenever anyone tells me that a public official is corrupt, [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2013, 07:15
Tough one. The stimulus was brilliantly framed to make it difficult to understand. OE is pretty clear. Thanks. :-D

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

Re: Whenever anyone tells me that a public official is corrupt,   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2013, 07:15