Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Whenever it is rainy, Janet goes to the mall. Therefore, it

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Whenever it is rainy, Janet goes to the mall. Therefore, it [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2003, 12:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:46) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 13 sessions
Whenever it is rainy, Janet goes to the mall. Therefore, it must be rainy, because Janet just left for the mall.

Which of the following exhibits a parallel pattern of reasoning as the argument above?

(A) Everyone who is crazy about U2 went to the concert. Since Stacy did not go to the concert, she must not be crazy about U2.
(B) Joe's Vinyl shop shows profit whenever the local stadium hires extra workers.Because the stadium has recently hired extra workers, Joe's Vinyl shop will show profit.
(C) Cookies To Go has always endured an annual loss whenever the S&P 500 falls more than 15% in the preceding quarter. The company had an annual loss this year. Therefore, the S&P must have fallen more than 15% in the preceding quarter.
(D)Whenever they eat too much candy, little children become hyper and very hard to control. Since little Cameron is behaving very well, she must not have eaten too much candy.
(E) Every Thanksgiving, JC Penny gives away 20% discount coupons. I just got JC Penny discount coupons in the mall. Therefore, it must be Thanksgiving.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2003, 12:24
E is also my guess. Follows the same faulty reasoning.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2003, 00:27
I chose E, but the correct choice according to the test is (C).
Can anyone clarify why (C) is correct and not (E) ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2003, 00:52
About E,

there is a possibility that JC Penny can offer a huge variety of discount coupons (e.g. 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%).

Maybe you've just got a 10% coupon

So E is not EXACTLY parallel with presented reasoning
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2003, 01:53
IMO the key criteria here (and probably in other similar questions) is whether two actions analyzed are related to each other (showing clear cause-effect sequence) or not. In argument itself and in choice C this connection is faulty, in E it really exists. Choice B (which I initially chose) is pretty close to the pattern I suggest, but it doesn't sound parallel in the second part of the sentense.
I'm sure Akamai would explain this better, since imo reasoning in this argument is a subject of all those patterns: if A then B, B if and only if A... and such.. 8-)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2003, 07:25
I also chose E using Akamai's basics. M not sure whether thay have been applied corrdctly here. Akamai need to shed some light on this.
GMAT Instructor
Schools: Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2003, 22:58
The stimulus is exactly of the form:
if P then Q. (if rain then mall)
Q. (mall)
Conclusion (faulty): P (rain)

(C) follows this exactly pattern.

(E) looks like C, but the fact that you got a Penney's coupon at the mall is not the same as saying "Penney's gave you a 20% coupon" as you could have gotten the coupon from anyone and it could be very old or for a different discount. Hence, of the two, C matches much better and is the best answer.

Best,

AkamaiBrah
Former Senior Instructor, Manhattan GMAT and VeritasPrep
Vice President, Midtown NYC Investment Bank, Structured Finance IT
MFE, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, Class of 2005
MBA, Anderson School of Management, UCLA, Class of 1993

SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2003, 00:40
got C not seeing the discussion

The original pattern: If R, then M; If M, then R. (BTW, a faulty conclusion)
C employs the very same.

Formal logic rules!!!

Once you understood it in if/then conditions, such questions are easy to crack.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Whenever it is rainy, Janet goes to the mall. Therefore, it [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 09:51
A does the best job, so that is my pick.

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 14

Re: Whenever it is rainy, Janet goes to the mall. Therefore, it [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 19:10
my answer is B

style of question is if X, Y. Y happenned, X should have happenned. B is the only choice which has such a logic

Quote:
Whenever it is rainy, Janet goes to the mall. Therefore, it must be rainy, because Janet just left for the mall.

Which of the following exhibits a parallel pattern of reasoning as the argument above?

(A) Everyone who is crazy about U2 went to the concert. Since Stacy did not go to the concert, she must not be crazy about U2.
(B) Joe's Vinyl shop shows profit whenever the local stadium hires extra workers.Because the stadium has recently hired extra workers, Joe's Vinyl shop will show profit.
(C) Cookies To Go has always endured an annual loss whenever the S&P 500 falls more than 15% in the preceding quarter. The company had an annual loss this year. Therefore, the S&P must have fallen more than 15% in the preceding quarter.
(D)Whenever they eat too much candy, little children become hyper and very hard to control. Since little Cameron is behaving very well, she must not have eaten too much candy.
(E) Every Thanksgiving, JC Penny gives away 20% discount coupons. I just got JC Penny discount coupons in the mall. Therefore, it must be Thanksgiving.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.71

Re: Whenever it is rainy, Janet goes to the mall. Therefore, it [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 13:04
I would go with C.

It matches the patteren in the argument..all other do not.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Whenever it is rainy, Janet goes to the mall. Therefore, it [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 13:14
My answer is C.
Just follow the logic: Whenever A than B. Therefore, it must be A, because it's B.

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Whenever it is rainy, Janet goes to the mall. Therefore, it [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 13:39
Togh choice between B and E. I choose E

Quote:

Given : Whenever A happens -> B happens. So A must be happening because B is also happenning

>> All A's do B. Since Stacy did not do B, she is not A. - Wrong

>> Whenever A happens -> B happens. Since B has happened, A will happen too.

>> Whenever A happens -> B happens. A happened, so B must have happenend.

>> Whenever A happens -> B happens. Since B is not happenening, A must have not happened

(E) Every Thanksgiving, JC Penny gives away 20% discount coupons. I just got JC Penny discount coupons in the mall. Therefore, it must be Thanksgiving
>> Whenever A happens -> B happens. B is happenening so A must also be happenening
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard, NYU Stern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Whenever it is rainy, Janet goes to the mall. Therefore, it [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 18:15
i go with E but just because it says 20% ....not sure if it rules out the answer choice
Re: Whenever it is rainy, Janet goes to the mall. Therefore, it   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2012, 18:15