Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 03:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Whenever Ned is outdoors and the sun is shining, Ned wears

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Whenever Ned is outdoors and the sun is shining, Ned wears [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2004, 13:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (02:46) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Whenever Ned is outdoors and the sun is shining, Ned wears his sunglasses. Whenever Ned is outdoors and the sun is not shining, Ned carries his sunglasses in his pocket. Sometimes the sun is shining when Ned is not outdoors.

If the statements above are true and Ned is not wearing his sunglasses, which of the following statements must also be true?

A) Ned is carrying his sunglasses in his pocket.
B) Ned is not outdoors.
C) Ned is not outdoors and the sun is not shining.
D) Ned is not outdoors and/or the sun is not shining.
E) Ned is outdoors and/or the sun is not shining.

Pls explain the methodology you use to solve questions like these. I'm getting confused with all the answer choices and have a hard time discerning which answer choice has to be true.

Also let me know if you can solve this question in less than 2 minutes.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - how do you solve questions like this. [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2004, 16:10
2.5 mins

The arg doesnt mention what happens to the SG when he is indoors. I assume that when he is indoors he doesnt use the SG.

outdoor + sun = wear SG
outdoor + no sun= pocket SG
indoor + sun/no sun = no SG

Hence if he is not wearing SG he must be either having it in the pocket or must not be wearing it at all as he is indoors
This is best explained by D

Ned is not outdoors or the sun is not shining - means if he is outdoors he must be having it in his pocket
Ned is not outdoors and the sun is not shining
He is indoors and not using SG

Is D correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2004, 16:55
gmataquaguy:
Iam certain this is not a GMAT type question. Nobody I know, who has taken GMAT, has encountered this type of problem. Neither have i seen any such question in standard practice material. There is no harm in solving such stuff..but given the wide range of stuff we already need to cover, not to speak of practicing speed and focus, it might not be very beneficial to spend time on such questions. Having seen lot of CR questions in gmat+, along with OG CR questions,.. I would say that doing all those questions and understanding the ETS mindset behind them... should be sufficient.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2004, 07:29
(D) is the answer, as he would not wear sunglasses only under two circumstances:

1) Sun is not shining
2) He is indoor

So the and/or would be perfect. But i doubt it's GMAT, as and/or is really not recommended for use in standard english, so i guess the testers wouldn't want to use and/or as well.
  [#permalink] 25 Jul 2004, 07:29