Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where and how to get started? Spoon-feed me!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Where and how to get started? Spoon-feed me! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 10:53
First of, my very brief background. Graduated summa cum laude with an undergrad Poli-Sci degree and econ+ba minors at a respectable, but not ivy school (also not in the US, although I am now based in Britain and am aiming for a London job).

Okay, so I have been reading about business consulting for a while. It is even declared in the Vault guide early on that non-consultants will usually never fully
understand how real-life business consulting works, nonetheless, I think it would be a feasible start for my career. I am very much on board with the usually
mentioned pillars e.g. responsibility, diligence, collegiality, meritocracy etc. This is definitely how I want to get started at least for half a decade or so, until I figure out exactly what industry I'm utterly passionate about.

I have already put out applications and invested quite some time in resume and cover letter fine-tuning. Hope I will be invited to a potential consultancy interview until the end of the year (e.g. LEK, Oliver Wyman, Arthur D. Little etc.).

Unfortunately, I have no interviewing skills to speak of so far and obviously the case interview will be the foundation of anything I'll need to do.

I've been researching it and doing math problems so far (particularly for the Wyman online-test). In terms of the case interview, however, I am stunted. I've been reading the vault guide and while I understand the concepts I should know I find it hard to internalize them and put them into practice without a study buddy. Similarly, I've read through some of Victor Cheng's stuff but the website in the end seems very muddled to me. It also seems that the frameworks suggested differ from guide to guide.

Finally, to get some streamlined guide I ended up ordering Marc Cosentino's Case in Point now, by popular recommendation. I hope that will allow me to make the link from frameworks to actually doing, since the book provides samples. I don't know if I'm creative enough apart from the frameworks to make recommendations though, without a business background. So how should I start. (if the book is the best start that'd be great, maybe I just need someone to say it.)
Where and how to get started? Spoon-feed me!   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2013, 10:53