Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where do I even begin to start? Best approach to studying?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Where do I even begin to start? Best approach to studying? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2008, 18:39
Ok so I am BRAND new to all this, I have done some research on my own and luckily I found this great forum which I know will be a tremendous asset to me in the months to come. I was all set to sign up for the 9-week Kaplan course until I started reading all these reviews about how bad the course and material are. I haven't taken a practice CAT yet but I know I will probably do very average to begin with. However, I am willing to put in the time and work to get the best score I possible.

While I am willing to pay for a course such as the aforementioned Kaplan course, I want the best preparation possible and it seems like there are better alternatives. I have read through many of the stickied threads and all the info out there is extremely overwhelming. I'd really appreciate it if you gave me your opinion as to how a novice such as myself can begin my trek to a great GMAT score. Thank you in advance!

Edit: I'd also love to know what are the best online courses out there.

Last edited by TrillTalk on 13 Jul 2008, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Where do I even begin to start? Best approach to studying? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2008, 19:06
It all depends on how much time you have and where you're currently at. If you have a lot of time and you've got a long way to go, then figure out which subject areas need help and work most on those. For example, I knew I was going to stink at geometry and I needed to brush up on probability. Before even using GMAT materials, I found elementary sites that allowed me to get better at these. I think it's good to spend some time without CATs, then as time goes on and you have the basics, work on CATs to improve your concentration and timing. I think everyone will tell you that Official Guide materials are a must. Princeton Review is probably good when you're starting out. Manhattan GMAT will push your quant skills. Lastly, after I'd run out of material, I started to use the questions on this website in addition to repeating timed tests for practice. We'll see how it works for me...

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Where do I even begin to start? Best approach to studying? [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 16:44
Um, check out the sticky thread that's at the top of the forum...
Re: Where do I even begin to start? Best approach to studying?   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2008, 16:44