Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 11:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where do I stand in Quant?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Jones '15 (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Where do I stand in Quant? [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 16:26
Guys,
I am new to this forum. I have been studyin for the GMAT for a few weeks now. I was going through OG12 and got around 10 out of 230 wrong in the PS but i got 40 wrong out of 174 in the DS.
Just wondering where I stand and if anyone has any advice on what I could do to improve my score, I would greatly appreciate any help. Do i need to work on PS or does this score represent a good enough score and I should concentrate more on SC, DS and CR ?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Where do I stand in Quant? [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 18:29
Expert's post
The "score" depends a great deal on the difficulty level of the questions. Were the incorrectly answered DS questions, for example, clustered at the end or spread out evenly? The best way to find out where you stand is the GMATPrep.

I would say that you're in okay shape for now, but you need to work on DS. Also, try to pinpoint what's wrong with DS. Is it the general nature of the DS question itself, or is it due to a weakness in, say, number properties? Review your error log to see whether there are any patterns.

How are you doing on verbal?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Where do I stand in Quant? [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 20:58
thanks for the reply. A higher percentage of those answers were after 100. I was checking the answers and I can see that in a lot of those answers I am kind of jumping the gun and saying that they neither A nor B are not sufficient.
I gave a gmat prep test right now and have completed the math and to try and be better at DS i was giving it more time which ultimately resulted in me randomly clicking the last 5. I guess I have a lot of work ahead. Just not sure how to work on it from here.

As for the Verbal, I had 28Wrong out of the 140 in SC and 15 wrong out of 95 in CR. I am not going to spend too much time on the RC other than OG12 and verbal reviews and will do it once towards the end.

Any suggestions on how I should move forward from here?
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 316 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Where do I stand in Quant? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 00:29
priyank24 wrote:
thanks for the reply. A higher percentage of those answers were after 100. I was checking the answers and I can see that in a lot of those answers I am kind of jumping the gun and saying that they neither A nor B are not sufficient.
I gave a gmat prep test right now and have completed the math and to try and be better at DS i was giving it more time which ultimately resulted in me randomly clicking the last 5. I guess I have a lot of work ahead. Just not sure how to work on it from here.

As for the Verbal, I had 28Wrong out of the 140 in SC and 15 wrong out of 95 in CR. I am not going to spend too much time on the RC other than OG12 and verbal reviews and will do it once towards the end.

Any suggestions on how I should move forward from here?

Have you seen the flow chart in OG 12 for solving DS problems. You need to internalize that process.
You need to pick topic master it and move to another while keep revising the first. See the link below for details.

http://www.urch.com/forums/just-finishe ... post152529

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 481 [1] , given: 432

Re: Where do I stand in Quant? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 15:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
priyank24 wrote:
I can see that in a lot of those answers I am kind of jumping the gun and saying that they neither A nor B are not sufficient.

You're falling for traps. These were tricky for me too. In my opinion, the GMATClub tests are the best DS preparation available. Those DS questions are frustrating and very tricky, but they (painfully) teach you what to look out for.

priyank24 wrote:
I gave a gmat prep test right now and have completed the math and to try and be better at DS i was giving it more time which ultimately resulted in me randomly clicking the last 5.

Just to clarify, but did you not take the full exam in one sitting? As for timing, that will improve overtime. Just time yourself for each practice question. If you take longer than two minutes, mark it as incorrect (but finish it!).

priyank24 wrote:

Is there a reason why you are placing less emphasis on RC? Hopefully, it's because you perform well on it. If not, be careful. It's important not to assume anything about the GMAT. Be active about your studies.

An 80 percent on SC is decent, but you can probably improve. Make sure to reread any SC guidebooks and fully review every SC explanation - even for the ones that you answer correctly. An 84 percent for CR is, again, decent. As for SC, review OG explanations and make sure to read a guidebook on CR if you haven't done so already. The main concern for this section is that the verbal questions found in the OG are easier than the ones that you will see on the test.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Where do I stand in Quant? [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 20:08
AbhiJ... thanks for the response. that link was pretty awesome... Didnt know of people gettin 790 and 800 :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Where do I stand in Quant? [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 20:14
bmillan01.. Thanks for the response. I am going to try and access the free tests on the 28th. hopefully I get enough time to work on them considering I'm going to be with my family.
I had done a lot of RCs for GRE before and feel its the hardest section to improve on drastically. I want to crack SC and am working on the CR bible which should also help me on my RC in the long run.

Any suggestions on IR?

thanks,
Priyank
Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 432