Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where I stand. Test date is June 1st. Suggestions?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Where I stand. Test date is June 1st. Suggestions? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2009, 12:27
Scored a Q40/V38 today on GMATprep. I have a wealth of prep material (OG10/11, Kaplan 800, MGMAT SC/Number Properties and GMAT Challenges) and want to set forth a study strategy for the last four weeks of preparation before test day on June 1st.

Verbal: Consistently scoring between 36 and 40 (MGMAT CATs). These tests seem more difficult than the GMAT prep test I took earlier today. What should I make of those scores? (i.e. Will I most likely hit a low-mid 40 on the actual exam?) I am confident that I can reach my target V score (mid 40) within the next few weeks by tweaking my CR. On a given MGMAT CAT, I will have 3-4 SC errors and the rest will be equally divided between CR and RC.

Quant: Today's score of 40 on the GMAT prep was definitely a confidence booster (I typically was scoring mid 30's).
The following subjects need work:
1) Probability and Statistics
2) Combinations/Permutations
3) Work/Mixture word problems
4) Overlapping sets

I'm quite comfortable with number properties, geometry and arithmetic. Should I focus my time on MGMAT CAT's and GMAT Challenges for the next four weeks? I've depleted my OG10/11 (although I can always revisit my mistakes). Any thoughts on my current score (how representative it is) and my target score of 700+ (perhaps even 80/80 split)?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: Marshall '11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: Where I stand. Test date is June 1st. Suggestions? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2009, 12:40
I'd say focus on your math instead of verbal in your prep. From your description, it sounds like your verbal score is consistent whereas your latest score in math on the Powerprep was much higher than the mid-30 score you typically get.
I'd work on subject 3 and 4, the word/mixture and overlapping sets first. Those types of problems are more likely to appear on med. levels as well as more difficult levels. Probability and Combination are typically considered high difficulty level and don't occur in the GMAT with as high a frequency as the other two problem types. I didn't even encounter a single probability or combination type question when I first took the GMAT and I got a 680 score.
Granted, if you're shooting for a 700+, you need to know the prob./combination problems. But more likely than not, you'll have to solve the mixture/overlapping sets problems correctly first in order to get a prob./combination problem.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Re: Where I stand. Test date is June 1st. Suggestions? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2009, 12:51
Thanks!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2294

Kudos [?]: 9038 [0], given: 3677

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Where I stand. Test date is June 1st. Suggestions? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2009, 13:55
Expert's post
See this post about what not to do.
half-way-through-need-some-advice-78099.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Where I stand. Test date is June 1st. Suggestions?   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2009, 13:55