Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 00:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where is everyone applying?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 10:58
1. Columbia
2. Wharton
3. Chicago
4. Stern
5. Yale
6. Cornell
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 11:15
Applied to R1 INSEAD. That's it.

I might apply to IMD if INSEAD dings.

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 11:29
Harvard, Stanford, Wharton in R1. If I get dinged by Wharton in Dec, I may apply to Kellogg and/or MIT. The recs are already in there, but I would choose Wharton ahead of them.

Had an interview at Harvard, Wharton interview scheduled, nothing yet from Stanford.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 11:35
cpetro29 wrote:
Harvard, Stanford, Wharton in R1. If I get dinged by Wharton in Dec, I may apply to Kellogg and/or MIT. The recs are already in there, but I would choose Wharton ahead of them.

Had an interview at Harvard, Wharton interview scheduled, nothing yet from Stanford.

Can you share your Harvard interview experience or is that confidential?

tapan22 to GMAT " Resistence is futile, you will be cracked"

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 11:39
Necromonger, Venky... I guess you haven't heard from INSEAD either..
Do you think they'll send interview invitations out right on the 24th??
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 11:46
Sure, I posted it on my blog. Here it is, and let me know if you have questions:

The Harvard campus is gorgeous. All these tightly clustered buildings solely for the business school. The campus is across the river from Harvard Square and the other Harvard schools, across the street from the football stadium, in less desireable Allston. The buildings are primarily red brick with the names engraved above the doorways. The Dillon House - where the Admissions Office is located - looks slightly different. It looks more like a 19th century house.

I got to the HBS campus 45 minutes before my interview and drove into the parking lot. It would be just as easy to park on the street between the stadium and the campus and walk or, better yet, take a taxi. I got to the Dillon House about 30 minutes before my interview. There were two other gentlemen waiting (and one woman, although, she turned out to be the girlfriend/spouse/significant other of a male interviewee). I got a pretty red folder with my name on it, a pass to get lunch at Spangler and to go to the gym, a letter, and the name of my interviewer. I also got a fantastic Harvard Business School pen (clearly the highlight).

After a nice little wait in the waiting area, my interviewer came to get me. The interviewer was a member of the admissions committee and started with logistics: thanks for coming, this will be 30 minutes, you will hear from us January 17th. Then the questions started. They were really specific. It was obvious that my application had been read - even studied - as had my resume. The interviewer wanted to know about my decisions. How I decided to go with my first job, about my job experiences, current position and roles, switching jobs, the job market when I left school (it was crappy), etc. I was asked about my leadership experiences (the ones that were mentioned in my essays) and how that directed my life. My work experience in college and how i ended up getting a relatively high-level role in college. About my athletic experience in college. Why I wanted an MBA, what I wanted to do after, how I could do that if those types of jobs aren't recruited for on campus, etc. It was casual, but the questions were pointed. There was not even reference to my application - it was almost like it had been studied. The details seemed to come easily to the interviewer. While we were talking, the interviewer took copious notes.

I left feeling like I did ok, but not fantastic. I tend to be a bit more passionate/exciteable, but I was more subdued. I blame it on the fact that I was in a car accident the day before (I'm fine, my car is not), but I really think that maybe the interviewer just brought out that side in me. The conversation was clearly directed and not directed by me.

I didn't do any preparing for the interview and I'm not sure that I would have done that differently. If I have any advice for people, it would be to re-read your essays. For me, it's my story, I know it cold. So I didn't feel like I needed to prepare. Maybe a better, more prepared answer to the why MBA and what I want to do after, since for me, that could vary somewhat - my 'dream jobs' all have similarities, though.

Wharton is in about 2 weeks and I'm going to campus again.

Feel free to ask me questions if I wasn't thorough enough. I feel like I couldn't give too many detailed question examples since they were so specific to me and my story.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 12:15
Thanks a bunch cpetro29
That is good information. I wish you luck. Hope you get into your dream school.

P.S. I hope it is Stanford since Rhyme and I are not applying there :-D

tapan22 to GMAT " Resistence is futile, you will be cracked"

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 13:06
1. Wharton
2. chicago
3. HBS

No solid plan for R2 yet. Still trying to figure that one out.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 18:43
I applied part time if anyone cares

1. NYU- Accepted
2. Kellogg - Accepted
3. GSB- Accepted (I accepted the offer at GSB)

so if anyone ends up there part time or full time let me know :)

A.P.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 20:15
AshikaP wrote:

1. NYU- Accepted
2. Kellogg - Accepted

AshikaP, when are you moving to Chicago?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 22:26
HBS
Kellogg
Wharton
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2006, 07:16
Wharton
MIT
INSEAD
OXFORD
CAMBRIDGE

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2006, 07:32
MIT Sloan
CMU Tepper
Purdue Krannert
Ohio Fisher
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2006, 09:13
rhyme wrote:
AshikaP wrote:

1. NYU- Accepted
2. Kellogg - Accepted

Actually i'm moving this march!!! extremely soon... going to come apartment hunting early february... rhyme u think thats enough time... do u have any suggestions for places to find a good place and websites besides craigslist i could use... i'm looking for a two bedroom and a friend of mine is going to attend as well.

A.P.

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2006, 09:34
A little late in the game but here goes..

R1
Stanford
Wharton
HBS
MIT
Berkeley
NYU

R2 (Possibly)
Chicago

R3 (Out of Desperation)
INSEAD
Georgetown
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2006, 11:39
SaturnRing,

I remember from other posts that you have interviews to S and W. What about your other first round choices? Also, how would you rank them in terms of your personal preference?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2006, 12:04
lhmcjen wrote:
SaturnRing,

I remember from other posts that you have interviews to S and W. What about your other first round choices? Also, how would you rank them in terms of your personal preference?

Without a doubt, Stanford is my #1 choice. I'm currently enrolled in the Stanford project management program (part-time). Also, I live 5 miles from Stanford. I love the location and the people. It fits my short-term goals (General Management) and long-term goals (Entrepreneurship) really well.

HBS and Wharton come in next because I'm not sure if the east coast is right for me.

I haven't received notification from my other schools yet. MIT and Berkeley have just started sending out invites. As for NYU, I submitted only two days ago.

My preference list:

1) Stanford
2) HBS
3) Wharton
4) MIT
5) Berkeley
6) NYU
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2006, 21:19
Extreme stretch (dream): Haas EWMBA

Stretch: Duke Cross Continent EMBA

Fighting Chance: XYZ, BU, Georgetown

Somewhat Safe: T-bird, Monterey
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2006, 21:49
AshikaP wrote:
rhyme wrote:
AshikaP wrote:

1. NYU- Accepted
2. Kellogg - Accepted

Actually i'm moving this march!!! extremely soon... going to come apartment hunting early february... rhyme u think thats enough time... do u have any suggestions for places to find a good place and websites besides craigslist i could use... i'm looking for a two bedroom and a friend of mine is going to attend as well.

Highly dependent on budget and what you like. If you'd like when you come in Feb, I can drive you and your friend around and show you a few different parts of town. Two bedroom prices can vary substantially depending on where you are. I know a LOT of gsb kids stay the regents park ( http://www.regentsparkchicago.com/ ) - its apparently nearly all GSB folk. It's near campus and they offer a free shuttle to the GSB - but then again, this is the full time campus - I guess you'd be going to the campus downtown. A two bedroom near that campus (say within 10-15 minutes walking distance) would run you about $2500 to $3500 a month. Far far less if you don't mind having to commute to campus. PM me a budget, tolerance for commute, and what kind of things you like (quiet and serene vs more hip and trendy vs more of a collegesque bar scene) and I can try and point you to some areas.

The usual suspects in terms of options exist - check chicagotribune.com classifieds, craigslist, apartments.com, rent.com, etc.

You should look at apartments.com just for the map - its a great way to figure out what the heck "gold coast" and "lakeview" (and etc) means if you don't know their relative positions.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2006, 09:47
rhyme wrote:
AshikaP wrote:
rhyme wrote:
AshikaP wrote:

1. NYU- Accepted
2. Kellogg - Accepted

Highly dependent on budget and what you like. If you'd like when you come in Feb, I can drive you and your friend around and show you a few different parts of town. Two bedroom prices can vary substantially depending on where you are. I know a LOT of gsb kids stay the regents park ( http://www.regentsparkchicago.com/ ) - its apparently nearly all GSB folk. It's near campus and they offer a free shuttle to the GSB - but then again, this is the full time campus - I guess you'd be going to the campus downtown. A two bedroom near that campus (say within 10-15 minutes walking distance) would run you about $2500 to $3500 a month. Far far less if you don't mind having to commute to campus. PM me a budget, tolerance for commute, and what kind of things you like (quiet and serene vs more hip and trendy vs more of a collegesque bar scene) and I can try and point you to some areas.

The usual suspects in terms of options exist - check chicagotribune.com classifieds, craigslist, apartments.com, rent.com, etc.

You should look at apartments.com just for the map - its a great way to figure out what the heck "gold coast" and "lakeview" (and etc) means if you don't know their relative positions.

You're awesome!!!! i will let ya know when we're in town for school :) and will follow up with u on budget and stuff :)

A.P.

[#permalink] 01 Dec 2006, 09:47