Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2004, 17:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting the imposition of an alien tax on immigrant workers, after 1897 the United Mine Workers made a determined effort to enlist Italians and Slavs in its ranks.
(A) Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting
(B) Where once the union acquiesced to it English-speaking members’ prejudice for the support of
(C) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of
(D) While once the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members’ prejudice in supporting
(E) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in its supporting of
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2004, 18:56
A. Don't ask me why. :oops:

510 on my first GMAT. 610 on second GMAT.!
The struggle continues.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2004, 21:01
C.

"While once" sounds good - both giving a time sense. AB out.
has is needed since the other verb is pst (made). D out.
'Support of' sounds better.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2004, 21:11
One more vote for 'C'

'Where' cannot be used to indicate something as against other. had it been 'Where as' choice 'A' would have been correct.
This rules out A and B.

Out of C,D,and E, D is again ruled out because of missing 'had'

In choice 'E' the usage ".....in its supporting of.." is incorrect.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2004, 11:59
This one is testing time. Since the later part has time I think "while" is perfect here.

C.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 170 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2004, 20:34
This post received
KUDOS
C, D and E use "while" which denotes an event happening at the same time as another. This is not the case since "after 1897" implies that there are two distinct events happening at different times
B) does change the meaning of the sentence by saying that the "imposition of an alien tax" was the reason why the union acknowledged the prejudice of its english-speaking members. This does not make sense to me. Moreover, this may be a typo, "it" should have been "its" members

"where once" means something that used to be done in a certain way in the past is now done differently as conveyed by the second half of the sentence
"while" denotes either a contrast or simultaneity in two events
"once", combined with "while", means a transition from a past state to a new one

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: challenge SC 9 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2004, 09:28
jxx wrote:
Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting the imposition of an alien tax on immigrant workers, after 1897 the United Mine Workers made a determined effort to enlist Italians and Slavs in its ranks.
(A) Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting
(B) Where once the union acquiesced to it English-speaking members’ prejudice for the support of
(C) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of
(D) While once the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members’ prejudice in supporting
(E) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in its supporting of

C. I always have come across where to be used only for location based references. So, I will go with C....if I am wrong then I will have to buy Paul's argument.

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Yoda

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 170 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2004, 09:40
This post received
KUDOS
In addition to what I previously explained:
From Webster online dictionary: "where" can mean a "case, situation, or respect in which"
Ex: outstanding where endurance is called for--> he is outstanding with respect to endurance
Ex: has reached the size where traffic is a problem
In the above two examples, there is no location involved. Yet, the two uses of "where" refer to what follows it.

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2004, 14:19
I am guessing it is A since there is a time comparison. What is the OA?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2004, 21:12
Paul wrote:
In addition to what I previously explained:
From Webster online dictionary: "where" can mean a "case, situation, or respect in which"
Ex: outstanding where endurance is called for--> he is outstanding with respect to endurance
In the above two examples, there is no location involved. Yet, the two uses of "where" refer to what follows it.
I guess implicit locations may have been referred here.

==> considering multiple virtual zones where in some places strength is called for, some places endurance is called for, in some places management is called for - this guy is good in the place where endurance is called for.

==> in a graph of population growth, the indicator has reached the size (place) where traffic is a majr problem.

Not sure, but I could see some reference here:
While once it was a religious system that oppressed, and religious systems may still do so, now huge and complicated systems of economics, communications and ideologies collude to stifle the individual and communal integrity of human beings and the natural world. (http://www.learnatest.com/download/1576854000.pdf)

Last edited by hardworker_indian on 03 Oct 2004, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2004, 00:47
and i thought it was an E :(. what's the OA

Franky
http://franky4gmat.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2004, 08:55
OA is B
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2004, 12:17
It seems that the pb between A & B was tense.

I am quite puzzled as past prefect sounds better than simple past here ... Any opinion ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2004, 13:10
jxx wrote:
OA is B

It could be B only if the typo "its English speaking members" is corrected

Best Regards,

Paul

[#permalink] 03 Oct 2004, 13:10