Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 11:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

23% (01:50) correct 76% (00:55) wrong based on 17 sessions
Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting the imposition of an alien tax on immigrant workers, after 1897 the United Mine Workers made a determined effort to enlist Italians and Slavs in its ranks.

(A) Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting
(B) Where once the union acquiesced to it English-speaking members’ prejudice for the support of
(C) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of
(D) While once the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members’ prejudice in supporting
(E) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in its supporting of

Can some one explain the OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Check this link

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/invite.do?in=NzYxOTkxJSMlRzF0NGJKQnllT1kzVmRmbTVBb2tLZ1Q4RA==

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/pages/rupeemail/images/joinImage.gif

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sentence correction difficult and different [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 15:05
+1 C

"Where" doesn't make sense.
Be careful of 1000 SC, I heard that the answer key has mistakes.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sentence correction difficult and different [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 18:14
I don't think C makes sense ...
"While" implies something that is happening simultaneously and to imply this meaning here in this context is nonsense.....
sometimes "while" is used to show contrast but I don't see any contrast here.
IMO I see nothing wrong with A

Nanquam Fractum

Verbal Expert
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 238

Kudos [?]: 1167 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Sentence correction difficult and different [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 19:36
Expert's post
Reading the ext, we can surmise that
1. The union succumbed to the pressure of the English speaking members.
2. The English speaking members wanted no alien workers to enter and so they pressured the union to impose a tax on alien immigrants other than English-speaking
3. Still, after 1897, the United Mine workers wanted to enlist alien workers such as the Italians and the Slavs
You can see that there does exist a contrast in the context. 'While' does indicate this element in this topic IMO.

That said, choice C which uses the appropriate past perfect tense to describe an earlier phenomenon of the two events and which uses the forthright expression ‘in support of’ rather than the wordy in ‘its supporting of’ is a clear winner.

The use of ‘where’ in the place of ‘while’ is acceptable, I suppose, if some one is writing poetry, in which one can get away with anything under a poetic license
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 20

Re: Sentence correction difficult and different [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 20:18
This post received
KUDOS
I have a doubt here abt the past perfect tense used in C.

the word 'after 1987' clearly shows what took place before it. so we know 'the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members’ prejudice ' happened before.
why do we need a past perfect tense here then?
Someone please clarify.

The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

If my post made you think, KUDO it. Its easy :D

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 88 [3] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sentence correction difficult and different [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 21:44
This post received
KUDOS
According to me, construction of the word support is the crucial factor in this sentence. Option B, D, and E have awkward constructions: for the support of, in supporting, and in its supporting of respectively.

Therefore, we can shortlist A and C.

Now, closer scrutiny of option C reveals that ‘the prejudices were regarding to the imposition of the align taxes ( acquiesced to the prejudices in support of)’… whereas the sentence suggests that support to the impositions of taxes is the action taken by the union, hence, “acquiesced to the prejudice by supporting taxes” is the correct expression.

Moreover, if we reverse the first part of the sentence, before the comma, then Option C becomes “In support of imposition of taxes, the union had acquiesced to the prejudices”. This construction becomes awkward. It should be – to support/by supporting the imposition of taxes, the union agreed to the prejudices. We have one of the correct expressions in “A”.

Also, "while" is normally used to show the contrast, which is not there in the sentence. I have no idea about whether, “where” is correct or not but “while” is definitely wrong here.

On the basis all above mentioned information, The answer should be “A”

Check this link

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/invite.do?in=NzYxOTkxJSMlRzF0NGJKQnllT1kzVmRmbTVBb2tLZ1Q4RA==

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/pages/rupeemail/images/joinImage.gif

Verbal Expert
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 238

Kudos [?]: 1167 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Sentence correction difficult and different [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 00:13
Expert's post
Yes. Although the use of ‘by supporting’ is more forthright as far as usage is concerned, all that good work is lost by the inappropriate use of ‘where’. To break a classical rule that where is used to refer to a place, is weird; In that case, why do we need that rule at all or when will we ever use that rule? Rules are evolved to be followed and not to be broken at will.

According to the dictionary, ‘Whereas’ is the correct synonym for ‘while’. The contrast of one accepting something and another going against it is more than explicit in the text. To say that a contrast does not exist is not acceptable. A is a mismatch solely because of this lacuna.

Still my kudos are there for those who chose to dissect this issue threadbare, though
I may beg to differ with their opinions.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Sentence correction difficult and different [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 06:52
So we are sticking with C?

Is that right? Despite some convincing reasons for going A, I will stick with C simply because the author is trying to show contrasts and where is not the correct means for doing so.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sentence correction difficult and different [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2011, 09:49
where is inappropriate but poetic license or whatever was discussed, C does not make sense . between a and c, a has to be the winner

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Re: Sentence correction difficult and different   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2011, 09:49