Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 09:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting the imposition of an alien tax on immigrant workers, after 1897 the United Mine Workers made a determined effort to enlist Italians and Slavs in its ranks.
(A) Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting
(B) Where once the union acquiesced to it English-speaking members’ prejudice for the support of
(C) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of
(D) While once the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members’ prejudice in supporting
(E) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in its supporting of

Ugh.. this question sucked!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 09:22
I believe it is A.
Here the question relates to tense error. The first part needs to be in past perfect as second one is in simple past as there is time sequence relation.
The option E also have past perfect but its ending with
"in its supporting of " is unidiomatic.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: SC - where once/ while once.. [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 09:48
beckee529 wrote:
Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting the imposition of an alien tax on immigrant workers, after 1897 the United Mine Workers made a determined effort to enlist Italians and Slavs in its ranks.
(A) Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting
(B) Where once the union acquiesced to it English-speaking members’ prejudice for the support of
(C) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of
(D) While once the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members’ prejudice in supporting
(E) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in its supporting of

Where has been used in the sense of stating a position of the Union once upon a time -

The use of past perfect clears the chronology of events. I guess it's A.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 10:55
I pick C.
While seems to present a contrast.
Also C has the correct tense.
Please comment.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 11:06
I had picked C for the answer but the answer given is A. I got this question from the SC 1000 #925
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 11:12
Can anyone explain why Ais correct and C is wrong.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

[#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 13:30
excelgmat wrote:
Can anyone explain why A is correct and C is wrong.

C,D and E use while which IMO is wrong because while is used to imply simultaneous happening of two events. Here, that is not the case.

A/B?
(B) says: Where once the union acquiesced to it English-speaking...... is wrong grammar.

By POE, A is the answer. It also uses the correct tense 'had' to imply that one event occurred before the other.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - where once/ while once.. [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 17:06
beckee529 wrote:

Initially would go for C, but I am in doubt now..

Since usage of both "where" and "while once" is correct, and past perfect is right verb tense to use here, let`s look at

"in support of X" vs "by supporting X",

acquiesced to= agreed to

A) "the union agreed to prejudices by supporting the imposition" OR
C) "the union agreed to prejudices in support of the imposition"

C does not sound right, we do not agree (or acquiesced) in support, we can agree (or acquiesced) in contract...

In A "by supporting the imposition.." is a neat subordinate clause.

C would be correct if the verb was other than "acquiesced to" f.e: "to manifest"

"While once the union had manifested the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of the imposition..."

so I think I agree with the OA...
Director
Director

Re: SC - where once/ while once.. [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 17:58
IrinaOK wrote:
beckee529 wrote:

Since usage of both "where" and "while once" is correct, and past perfect is right verb tense to use here, let`s look at

acquiesced to= agreed to

C does not sound right, we do not agree (or acquiesced) in support, we can agree (or acquiesced) in contract...

C would be correct if the verb was other than "acquiesced to" f.e: "to manifest"

"While once the union had manifested the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of the imposition..."

Can anyone provide more information about the usage of 'while once' and 'where'? When do we use 'while' and 'where'? Can we use one instead of the other without changing the meaning? SC gurus, please clarify.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - where once/ while once.. [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 18:34
eyunni wrote:
IrinaOK wrote:
beckee529 wrote:

Since usage of both "where once" and "while once" is correct, and past perfect is right verb tense to use here, let`s look at

acquiesced to= agreed to

Can anyone provide more information about the usage of 'while once' and 'where'? When do we use 'while' and 'where'? Can we use one instead of the other without changing the meaning? SC gurus, please clarify.

I apologize I meant to say that usage of both "where once" and "while once" is correct.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 15:24

In (A), do we really need 'had'? Doesn't 'after' imply that the second event was after the first?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - where once/ while once.. [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 05:09
beckee529 wrote:

As far as I know "where" is only used to refer to locations.
Therefore my take is C.
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

where/while [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 06:10
Answer A

B: union acquiesced to it english-speaking is awkward
C: Question is how union had acquiesced.....answer is by supporting and not in support of
D: to its is wrong... similar to B
E: in its supporting of is awkard
where/while   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2007, 06:10