Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 05:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2004, 11:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting the imposition of an alien tax on immigrant workers, after 1897 the United Mine Workers made a determined effort to enlist Italians and Slavs in its ranks.

(A) Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting
(B) Where once the union acquiesced to it English-speaking members’ prejudice for the support of
(C) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of
(D) While once the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members’ prejudice in supporting
(E) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in its supporting of
Manager
Manager

Re: SC139 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2004, 12:21
boksana wrote:
Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting the imposition of an alien tax on immigrant workers, after 1897 the United Mine Workers made a determined effort to enlist Italians and Slavs in its ranks.

(A) Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting

(B) Where once the union acquiesced to it English-speaking members’ prejudice for the support of

(C) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of

(D) While once the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members’ prejudice in supporting

(E) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in its supporting of

Tough choice between C & D, at least for me.

A& B are out - I believe that the sentence contrasts two things, therefore, we should use 'while', not 'when'.

E - out because of how awkward 'in its supporting of' sounds

I think that because the first action [the support of tax on immigrant workers] happened earlier, we should use Past Perfect. If I'm right, then C is the best answer.

Also, is the situation with D 'in supporting' - correctly called a dangling modifier?

Searching for an answer...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2004, 19:48
it comes down to either C or A.

a states that the union had accomplished whatever by supporting the imposition of tax. in other words, supporting the imposition of tax is what made it possible to accoplish whatever.

C changes the meaning of the sentence by stating that the union had accomplished whatever in support of imposition of tax.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC139 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2004, 20:09
boksana wrote:

The answer should be C. Acquiesced should be followe by "in". So, A & B are out. Between C & D, prejudices of its mekmbers is better than members' prejudice. So D is out. E is awkward.

Mayur

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: SC139 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2004, 20:47
boksana wrote:

is it A?
union agreed to the prejudices "by doing what?" -- by supporting the imposition of the law.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2004, 08:42
In GMAT, While is used as "at the same time". So, C,D, and E are out.

Of A and B, A is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2004, 09:10
hmmmm Intresting though...

my guess is E though it may ''seem '' awkward it best describes the sentence to ''throw'' a perfect meaning if not a more clearer one!

A and B are out as the non-underlined area goes ''after 1897'' which means comparision of different times so the use of ''where'' is awkward

also the ''its'' is not so awkward I belive for ''its = the union' and it rightly desribes it so ... ( I could well be wrong )

hope that helps! yes C was my second fav but ''in support of'' sounds real awkward...

the whole worldmakes way for the man who knows wer he's going... good luck

SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2004, 00:25
NWU_Grad wrote:
In GMAT, While is used as "at the same time". So, C,D, and E are out.

Of A and B, A is the correct answer.

WHERE means geographic location and so is not applicable to a period of time. We should use WHILE. Since we have a date in the past (1897) and a past tense verb after that (MADE), we should employ a past perfect tense verb (HAD ACQUIESCED) to describe an event before the date. Out of all the options, E offers both aspects.

Vote for E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2004, 07:19
The answer is A :wink:
  [#permalink] 21 Jun 2004, 07:19