Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1490 [113]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [35]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 884 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English [#permalink]
Bookmarks
IMO A

Where is better than while, I think, because while describes a continuous action, but here in the context, this is an momentary action

Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting the imposition of an alien tax on immigrant workers, after 1897 the United Mine Workers made a determined effort to enlist Italians and Slavs in its ranks.
(A) Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting -->best. Where is correct. past perfect tense also appropriate describes an action happened before another action in the past. The original meaning is: The union supported the imposition of tax ... to acquiesce to the prejudices of its ...
(B) Where once the union acquiesced to it English-speaking members’ prejudice for the support of --> past simple is not good enough. Besides, this choice means that the union agrees to the prejudice that it will support the imposition of tax ... --> distorting original meaning
(C) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of -->while is flawed, same distorted meaning as B
(D) While once the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members’ prejudice in supporting -->same errors as C's. Past tense is also flawed
(E) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in its supporting of -->same errors as C's. Besides, in its supporting of is more wordy

Originally posted by Minheequang on 18 May 2009, 03:54.
Last edited by Minheequang on 18 May 2009, 04:12, edited 2 times in total.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
hi,
i feel the usage of where is not wrong here....
and what stands out in favour of A is the usage of 'by supporting'...
ask a ques' how had the union acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members?'
and the ans would be 'the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting[/u] the imposition of an alien tax on immigrant workers' and not in supporting...
only A follows it
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Reading the ext, we can surmise that
1. The union succumbed to the pressure of the English speaking members.
2. The English speaking members wanted no alien workers to enter and so they pressured the union to impose a tax on alien immigrants other than English-speaking
3. Still, after 1897, the United Mine workers wanted to enlist alien workers such as the Italians and the Slavs
You can see that there does exist a contrast in the context. 'While' does indicate this element in this topic IMO.

That said, choice C which uses the appropriate past perfect tense to describe an earlier phenomenon of the two events and which uses the forthright expression ‘in support of’ rather than the wordy in ‘its supporting of’ is a clear winner.

The use of ‘where’ in the place of ‘while’ is acceptable, I suppose, if some one is writing poetry, in which one can get away with anything under a poetic license
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
I have a doubt here abt the past perfect tense used in C.

the word 'after 1987' clearly shows what took place before it. so we know 'the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members’ prejudice ' happened before.
why do we need a past perfect tense here then?
Someone please clarify.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
According to me, construction of the word support is the crucial factor in this sentence. Option B, D, and E have awkward constructions: for the support of, in supporting, and in its supporting of respectively.

Therefore, we can shortlist A and C.

Now, closer scrutiny of option C reveals that ‘the prejudices were regarding to the imposition of the align taxes ( acquiesced to the prejudices in support of)’… whereas the sentence suggests that support to the impositions of taxes is the action taken by the union, hence, “acquiesced to the prejudice by supporting taxes” is the correct expression.

Moreover, if we reverse the first part of the sentence, before the comma, then Option C becomes “In support of imposition of taxes, the union had acquiesced to the prejudices”. This construction becomes awkward. It should be – to support/by supporting the imposition of taxes, the union agreed to the prejudices. We have one of the correct expressions in “A”.

Also, "while" is normally used to show the contrast, which is not there in the sentence. I have no idea about whether, “where” is correct or not but “while” is definitely wrong here.

On the basis all above mentioned information, The answer should be “A”
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yes. Although the use of ‘by supporting’ is more forthright as far as usage is concerned, all that good work is lost by the inappropriate use of ‘where’. To break a classical rule that where is used to refer to a place, is weird; In that case, why do we need that rule at all or when will we ever use that rule? Rules are evolved to be followed and not to be broken at will.

According to the dictionary, ‘Whereas’ is the correct synonym for ‘while’. The contrast of one accepting something and another going against it is more than explicit in the text. To say that a contrast does not exist is not acceptable. A is a mismatch solely because of this lacuna.

Still my kudos are there for those who chose to dissect this issue threadbare, though
I may beg to differ with their opinions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
'Where' in this case refers to a 'place in time' i.e. 'Whereas in the past the union had...'-would be the longer construction of this sentence. That's the reason where can be used in this sentence and is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi All,

could someone please explain the use of where in the beginning of sentence compared to while and why is that wrong here?

I thought of C

Thanks,

Ravi
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Runner2 wrote:
raviram80 wrote:
Hi All,

could someone please explain the use of where in the beginning of sentence compared to while and why is that wrong here?

I thought of C

Thanks,

Ravi

same question, please explain

(C) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of bold part is the problem..try to read in the context of the whole sentence and compare with option A.You should get better clarity...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Hi Experts,
Can someone explain this sentence please? Usage of "Where" in this case doesnt seem to be consistent with explanation in most of the books.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM