Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where should I apply

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 164
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Where should I apply [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2007, 13:22
640 gmat. 2.7 gpa from MSU in Economics due to mitigating factors that I have medical letters about. Alternate transcript of 2 A's in Accounting and Stats at local university. 24 year old white boy with tons of volunteer work and extra curricular activities. Work Experience is weird. 1 year of real estate for commercial real estate. 1 year of Poker player in Vegas(not sure if I should mention it) probably not :-D Internship in sports radio and as a law clerk. My essays are tight and looking to start in new field of Finance or Accoutning
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

Re: Where should I apply [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2007, 22:30
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
1 year of Poker player in Vegas(not sure if I should mention it) probably not :-D


While I can't pretend I'll be providing sound advice (I'll leave up to Paul /others in the field), I'd say that your Poker player background could be spun into a differentiating factor. Heck, if I were an adcom I would love to read essays from a professional poker player in between the zillions of applications from consultants / I-bankers / Indian ITers.

On a more serious note: if you are only 24 and want to go into accounting or finance, why not go for a MS in such fields. Get the degree, get the right work experience, re-take the GMAT and then apply to top 10 MBAs by around 29.

Hope it helps. L.

PS: Just in case anyone wants to take offence where there isn't, I'm not proposing that there's anything wrong with being a consultant / I-banker / Indian ITer. All I'm saying is that such a profile makes up a significant portion of all apps, so adcoms would probably read a lot of essays from such group of applicants.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 1675
Location: San Diego, California
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Where should I apply [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2007, 19:54
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
640 gmat. 2.7 gpa from MSU in Economics due to mitigating factors that I have medical letters about. Alternate transcript of 2 A's in Accounting and Stats at local university. 24 year old white boy with tons of volunteer work and extra curricular activities. Work Experience is weird. 1 year of real estate for commercial real estate. 1 year of Poker player in Vegas(not sure if I should mention it) probably not :-D Internship in sports radio and as a law clerk. My essays are tight and looking to start in new field of Finance or Accoutning


Not sure what you're asking?
_________________

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 164
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Where should I apply [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2007, 08:21
pbodine wrote:
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
640 gmat. 2.7 gpa from MSU in Economics due to mitigating factors that I have medical letters about. Alternate transcript of 2 A's in Accounting and Stats at local university. 24 year old white boy with tons of volunteer work and extra curricular activities. Work Experience is weird. 1 year of real estate for commercial real estate. 1 year of Poker player in Vegas(not sure if I should mention it) probably not :-D Internship in sports radio and as a law clerk. My essays are tight and looking to start in new field of Finance or Accoutning


Not sure what you're asking?


Re: Where should I apply. Is this Sammy Sosa?
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 1675
Location: San Diego, California
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Where should I apply [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 10:36
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
pbodine wrote:
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
640 gmat. 2.7 gpa from MSU in Economics due to mitigating factors that I have medical letters about. Alternate transcript of 2 A's in Accounting and Stats at local university. 24 year old white boy with tons of volunteer work and extra curricular activities. Work Experience is weird. 1 year of real estate for commercial real estate. 1 year of Poker player in Vegas(not sure if I should mention it) probably not :-D Internship in sports radio and as a law clerk. My essays are tight and looking to start in new field of Finance or Accoutning


Not sure what you're asking?


Re: Where should I apply. Is this Sammy Sosa?


I'd be happy to suggest some places for you to apply but would prefer to do it on a consultant-client basis. You can reach me at pbodine@accepted.com. I don't understand the Sammy Sosa remark.
_________________

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
where should I apply? wbsgn12 0 08 Jul 2012, 16:05
Experts publish their posts in the topic Where should I apply? MrMagoo 2 07 Oct 2010, 15:02
Where should I apply MrMagoo 1 06 Oct 2010, 09:34
Where should I apply? MBA 2007 1 24 Sep 2006, 15:29
Where should I apply? MBA 2007 3 24 Sep 2006, 15:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Where should I apply

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.