Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where should I apply for an MBA? Not sure on safety + reach

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Where should I apply for an MBA? Not sure on safety + reach [#permalink] New post 14 May 2014, 11:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Amerasia,

I'm looking to get a sense of where I should apply for my MBA. I'm an entrepreneur looking to go back to school to specialize in a few areas that I think will help me expand my skill set and improve my team (management, strategy, marketing).

GPA: 3.8 (top Canadian university, finished first in graduating class for my degree - finance/econ)
GMAT: 750

Work Experience:

1 year as investment banking analyst @ NY elite boutique (was top bucket prior to quitting to do startup A)
1 year co-founder / COO of a startup that does $5M in revenue and is big in the social impact space (startup A)
2 years as co-founder/ CEO of a startup that has $10M in revenues, where I raised a >$1M venture capital financed seed round (startup B) at an 8 figure valuation and struck a joint venture deal with two other large companies
1 year as co-founder and VP Corp Dev of a startup that went public at a $30M valuation, raised $6M financing round and acquired startup B which was consolidated (startup C). Im the one that took it public + raised the cash + acquired startup B+ am working on a couple pretty sweet other deals, like a JV with Canada's largest grocery chain

Startup A is in the retail/fashion space and Startup B/C is in the genetics+personalized technology+lifestyle medicine spaces

Extracurriculars:

-Board of Directors of a pretty solid/large Canadian nonprofit aimed at helping younger kids become entrepreneurs
-founder of a nonprofit that raised $100K to help inner city kids get training as entrepreneurs
-founder of program which helps put students in touch with entrepreneurs
-ton of shit during university (president of clubs, etc.)

Id be grateful if you could point me in the right direction of what schools are reasonable to go for. Ill need help putting my application together because I dont have a ton of spare time.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Where should I apply for an MBA? Not sure on safety + reach [#permalink] New post 14 May 2014, 21:22
Expert's post
Hey WWilson51,

Thanks for reaching out to me. I just wanted to let you know that I read through your post and will respond shortly. Didn't want to leave you hangin'.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

WWilson51 wrote:
Hi Amerasia,

I'm looking to get a sense of where I should apply for my MBA. I'm an entrepreneur looking to go back to school to specialize in a few areas that I think will help me expand my skill set and improve my team (management, strategy, marketing).

GPA: 3.8 (top Canadian university, finished first in graduating class for my degree - finance/econ)

Work Experience:

1 year as investment banking analyst @ NY elite boutique (was top bucket prior to quitting to do startup A)
1 year co-founder / COO of a startup that does $5M in revenue and is big in the social impact space (startup A)
2 years as co-founder/ CEO of a startup that has $10M in revenues, where I raised a >$1M venture capital financed seed round (startup B) at an 8 figure valuation and struck a joint venture deal with two other large companies
1 year as co-founder and VP Corp Dev of a startup that went public at a $30M valuation, raised $6M financing round and acquired startup B which was consolidated (startup C). Im the one that took it public + raised the cash + acquired startup B+ am working on a couple pretty sweet other deals, like a JV with Canada's largest grocery chain

Startup A is in the retail/fashion space and Startup B/C is in the genetics+personalized technology+lifestyle medicine spaces

Extracurriculars:

-Board of Directors of a pretty solid/large Canadian nonprofit aimed at helping younger kids become entrepreneurs
-founder of a nonprofit that raised $100K to help inner city kids get training as entrepreneurs

Id be grateful if you could point me in the right direction of what schools are reasonable to go for. Ill need help putting my application together because I dont have a ton of spare time.

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Where should I apply for an MBA? Not sure on safety + reach [#permalink] New post 15 May 2014, 00:09
Expert's post
Hey WWilson51,

I'm back with a proper response. Provided that you can put together cohesive/coherent essays, you are a lock for a top 5 program. It's really as simple as that.
Personally, I think that the worst you are going to do is Wharton. You really have to gun for Stanford and HBS because you're definitely type of candidate they are looking for because your leadership experience, as well as commitment to community is off the hook. Looking at it from another angle, and gauging your chances at these programs - of the last 5 clients I have helped get into either HBS or GSB - you would be sitting in the top 2 or 3 spot (out of the 5 accepted applicants). Now this is based on the prelim data that I have from your post. As I dig into your candidacy deeper, you may very well take the top spot.

Stanford is going to be the harder school for you to get into (at face value - that is, based on the acceptance numbers at GSB). However, to me it seems as if you are a better fit at GSB than at HBS. The key to whether or not you convince Stanford that you are the right fit for them is going to hinge on how well you nail the "What Matters Most" essay. You misfire on that one - no matter how good your profile may be - and your way behind the 8-ball. The success of your goals essay is going to hinge on your ability to align your aspirations (in the goals essay) with the values you lay out in essay 1, as well as a greater focus on the longer-term aspects of your goals. You need to focus on the longer-term aspects of your goals because Stanford wants to know they are not giving out an MBA to someone who is a career "cold fish" (going forward). Put another way, you have to also align your goals essay with Stanford's motto - "Change lives. Change organizations. Change the world."

As an aside, the following is a good primer article on how a Stanford grad views the program - https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/news/bmag/ ... icame.html. If you want a few more pointers on how to handle applying to GSB download our Stanford school guide here - http://www.amerasiaconsulting.com/stanf ... -download/

Now HBS' essay - What else would you like us to know as we consider your candidacy? - is an exercise in managing ambiguity (as well as telling your story.) We blogged a post on June 3 (http://www.amerasiaconsulting.com/blog/ ... pplication) that broke down much of this and addressed some of the common theories, such as 1) increasing applications, 2) HBS is trying to mitigate the importance of admissions consultants, 3) this is an embodiment of Dee Leopold’s “we have interviews, so let’s lean on those more” philosophy. The truth is though, that it doesn’t really matter. We know that there is an essay on the front end and one more after you do the interview – these writing assignments certainly have a point. So what is the objective?
The objective, to our way of thinking, is to measure whether MBA candidates can stare down ambiguity and be confident in taking a specific approach. For more pointers on approaching your HBS app, download our HBS guide - http://www.amerasiaconsulting.com/mba-s ... 2012/10/25. FYI - both the Stanford and HBS guides are complimentary/free.

If you can laser in on a “take” (as they say) and then execute it cleanly and proficiently, you will be miles ahead of the competition. Of course, that's what we can help you with. I encourage you to email Adam Hoff and I at mba@amerasiaconsulting.com. Please reference this thread and that you would like to speak to me (based on my recommendation.) I know we can help you tell your story and what you bring to the table at HBS or Stanford.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

WWilson51 wrote:
Hi Amerasia,

Work Experience:

Extracurriculars:

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton