Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where should I apply? (with case studies)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 341 [6] , given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Where should I apply? (with case studies) [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 09:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Where Should You Apply?

You’ve decided that you are going to apply to b-school. Now you need to ask yourself the next critical question: WHERE? Where should you spend your next few years? Which city? Which country? And last but not least, WHICH PROGRAM?

Accepted.com has designed a handy infographic, the Accepted Positioning System, that will help you answer the important questions in a way that will lead you to your ideal MBA program. Here I’ll highlight some of the questions that you’ll encounter during your journey. The answers you provide will guide you on the most effective route to your goal:

1. What is your post-MBA goal?

a. What job function do you see yourself doing?
    b. Which industry do you want to work in?
    c. Where (which country/city/environment) do you want to live?

2. Which schools support your goals?

a. Are the companies you would like to work for recruiting for the functions/industries you would like to pursue at your target school?
    b. Do your target schools offer clubs and extra-curricular activities in your desired field (and if not, is it possible for you to start your own club)?
    c. Does the school’s curriculum offer a major, concentration, or adequate coverage for your particular interests and goals?
    d. Are there professors who have done or are currently doing research in your area of interest or in a field where you want to acquire expertise?

3. What are your qualifications?

a. Are you academically competitive? (Take a look at your GMAT/GRE score, transcript, additional courses, etc.)
    b. Do you have impressive work experience, qualitatively and quantitatively?
    c. Do your community service activities show additional skills and character traits (like initiative, leadership, responsibility, and teamwork)?

4. Choose your 4-8 schools to apply to

The schools that support your goals and at which you are competitive are the ones you should apply to. If there are lots of schools in that category, you’re in luck! Apply to the ones that simply appeal to you most for whatever reasons. If no school meets those two criteria, then you either need to improve your qualifications or adjust your goal.

These questions are clear, but how do the answers guide you? Here are a few prototypical applicants so you can see at least on a superficial level how I would use this information.

Joe

1) Wants to go into Management Consulting at elite strat consulting firm
    2) Schools to consider: HBS, Stanford, Kellogg, Tuck, Darden, Chicago, Wharton, MIT, Columbia, Haas, NYU Stern, Ross
    3) Qualifications
      a. 740 GMAT
      b. 3.7 GPA from Princeton. Majored in econ and graduated in 2009.
      c. Interned for boutique consulting firm in college.
      d. Captain of tennis team at Princeton.
      e. President of fraternity.
      f. Joined army and served as an officer in combat. Should be discharged this June.
    4) Where should he apply? HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, and Tuck. Will apply to Darden, Haas, and Ross R2 if not accepted anywhere R1.

Jane

1. Wants to go into marketing with focus on digital marketing and then maybe start her own company. Prefers to live in South Eastern US.
    2. Schools to consider: Kellogg, Cornell, Haas, Duke, UNC, Ross, UCLA, Emory, UT, MIT, CMU Tepper
    3. Qualifications
      a. 680 GMAT with 65% on Quant. Highest score after 3 attempts. Taking MBAMath and several quant classes at local college to boost math skills, counteract low quant score, and prepare for quant demands of b-school.
      b. 3.4 GPA from public ivy. Majored in econ and history. Graduated in 2007
      c. Works as law firm manager in 20-lawyer office. Has been in charge of publicity and social media for firm which has seen tremendous growth from that channel. Started as a clerk after college and worked her way up.
      d. Married has one child. Husband can work from anywhere.
      e. Active in church and alumni association. Runs 5 and 10K races. In college was officer in sorority.
      f. Wants to apply R1 for 2014.
    4. Where should she apply? Duke, UNC, Darden and Kellogg for R1. Kellogg is a stretch, but she really likes its strength in marketing and collegial culture. Will include as a stretch. Will apply to UT and Emory round 2 if not accepted anywhere R1.

Ajay

1. Has high tech product ideas and wants to start own business, if not immediately after MBA, then within five years after MBA. Attracted to design thinking.
    2. Schools to consider: MIT, Haas, Stanford, CMU Tepper, UT Austin, UCLA, USC Marshall, Duke, Ross, Cornell Johnson, UNC, Babson, Rotman
    3. Qualifications
      a. 700 GMAT (51 quant; struggles with verbal). Took previously and had 660 and 680. Doesn’t want to retake again.
      b. Has 7.2/10 CGPA from IIT Madras. B. Tech. Graduated in 2008
      c. Has been working for Tata Consulting on software consulting projects for last 3 years in the UK and Europe. Previously worked for Infosys as a programmer for two years in India. Can show increasing responsibility at work.
      d. Was active in college, but hasn’t done much since outside of work. Likes to play guitar and cricket.
      e. Wants to apply in 2013-14
    4. Where should he apply? Will apply to Darden, UCLA, UT Austin, and Duke R1. Will apply to UNC, USC Marshall, Babson, and Rotman if not accepted R1. Also considering Ross’ MS in Entrepreneurship.

Jack

1. Wants to go into R/E development/ finance and grow family business. Really prefers East Coast.
    2. Schools to consider Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Haas, Kellogg, Duke, Cornell, Rochester, Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, USC, LBS
    3. Qualifications
      a. 730 GMAT, balanced.
      b. 2.9 from Georgetown. Class of ‘09 (Immature freshman year; Illness sophomore year; upward trend in last two years; dean’s list as a senior) Majored in math; minored in Asian history. Has passed all 3 levels of CFA. Took a few business classes (accounting, stats for business, finance) online and got straight A’s
      c. Financial analyst program for 2 years. Then joined family property management business (outside NYC) for two years. Handled 2 8-figure property acquisitions.
      d. Had been active in Romney campaign and in local Republican politics.
      e. Wants to apply in 2013-14
    4. Where should he apply? Will apply to Columbia, NYU Stern, Wharton, and Duke R1. If not accepted, will try for Chicago, UNC, UCLA, and Georgetown round 2. May substitute LBS for one of the last four.

Follow these steps to map out the route to the best MBA program for you. For more details, grab your copy of Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One.

What do you think of the Accepted Positioning System? Are there other steps you would take or have taken in reaching your list of target MBA programs? What are they? I’d love to hear your thoughts on this and answer any questions you may have!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 316 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Where should I apply? (with case studies) [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 02:02
What if Ajay retakes GMAT and scores 750. Ajay has cleared CFA L1 :).
Ajay wants to get into Finance, not necessarily Bulge Bracket I Banking but into investment research.
Which schools should he target. This is another typical profile.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 537 [3] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Where should I apply? (with case studies) [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 02:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
AbhiJ wrote:
Ajay wants to get into Finance, not necessarily Bulge Bracket I Banking but into investment research.

Ajay should thanks his lucky stars, or his parents that he is such a clever guy, and apply to whatever finance oriented school he likes, and hope that his essays are good as his GMAT.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 341 [1] , given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Where should I apply? (with case studies) [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 23:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
AbhiJ wrote:

So we are changing Ajay's goal, GMAT, and CFA status. :-) OK. Does this new Ajay resemble anyone you know? Hopefully he has also been investing privately if not on the job opr has other evidence of his interest in finance.

In this case, Ajay should consider applying to Chicago, NYU Stern, Columbia, Wharton R1. If not accepted, he should try Duke, Yale, Cornell and UCLA Anderson R2.

You may also be interested in:

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Re: Where should I apply? (with case studies) [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 22:59
In India there are lot of engineering types who are enamored by Finance: its learning curve, analytical orientation and compensation. When you go to any CFA exam center in India at-least half of them are engineers. This trend has been fulled by global Banks recruiting from Indian Institute of Management after 2000.

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 289 [0], given: 264

Re: Where should I apply? (with case studies) [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 05:16
Accepted.com wrote:
Joe

2) Schools to consider: HBS, Stanford, Kellogg, Tuck, Darden, Chicago, Wharton, MIT, Columbia, Haas, NYU Stern, Ross
3) Qualifications
a. 740 GMAT
f. Joined army and served as an officer in combat. Should be discharged this June.
4) Where should he apply? HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, and Tuck. Will apply to Darden, Haas, and Ross R2 if not accepted anywhere R1.

Joe got struck in conscription for 10 years in army as an Infantry officer and hence is between 30-33 yrs of age. However, he has gained enormous exposure including international. Moreover, got some best ratings during these years. Sadly, his gpa is around 3.1. Keeping rest of the profile same, has he still got some chances for the school mentioned or is he overage and should look towards European schools?

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Where should I apply? (with case studies) [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 09:46
I am doing a company sponsored E MBA from Georgetown Will graduate in 2014. Undergrad from Public IVY top 5 . GPA 3.4 majored in Economics 2007.Working at a leading manufacturer as a business consultant . Was dinged by Chicago,Darden and Duke r2.Want to apply for 2014 . Want to go into consulting and PE. What schools should I apply to?My Gmat is 710
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Where should I apply? (with case studies) [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 18:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rajeevrks27 wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
Joe

3) Qualifications
a. 740 GMAT

Joe got struck in conscription for 10 years in army as an Infantry officer and hence is between 30-33 yrs of age. However, he has gained enormous exposure including international. Moreover, got some best ratings during these years. Sadly, his gpa is around 3.1. Keeping rest of the profile same, has he still got some chances for the school mentioned or is he overage and should look towards European schools?

If you are only changing the GPA (not the GMAT) and the other elements as indicated in your post, I think you could try for several (let's say Wharton, Kellogg, and Tuck) of these programs, but I would mix it up a little and also apply to programs like Duke, Ross, and Darden. Duke and Darden in particular have very strong military ties. They also feed the management consulting companies, have slightly higher average age at matriculation, and are excellent general management programs.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 341 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Where should I apply? (with case studies) [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 18:49
Expert's post
baleshjindal wrote:
I am doing a company sponsored E MBA from Georgetown Will graduate in 2014. Undergrad from Public IVY top 5 . GPA 3.4 majored in Economics 2007.Working at a leading manufacturer as a business consultant . Was dinged by Chicago,Darden and Duke r2.Want to apply for 2014 . Want to go into consulting and PE. What schools should I apply to?My Gmat is 710

Why are you completing the EMBA if you plan to apply to a FT MBA? Am I missing something?

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: Where should I apply? (with case studies) [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 09:41
Edited

Last edited by sudi03 on 31 Oct 2013, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Where should I apply? (with case studies) [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 01:04
sudi03 wrote:
1. Wants to go into finance preferably Investment Banking or Corporate finance.
2. Schools to consider Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Haas, Kellogg, Duke, Cornell, Rochester, Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, USC, LBS, ISB , nus
3. Qualifications.
a. 700 GMAT
b. 3.4 from Top 10 In India. (top 5 in class )
Majored in Engineering, passed all 3 levels of CFA. Passed FRM both parts.
Interned .25 yrs from a college in europe.
c. Worked in a prop trading firm as a trader for 5-6 years. Among the top few traders in the firm. Incoming Salary +Bonus > 200 k $.
d. Not great Extra curricular, have been involves in few clubs during college.volunteering work for local ngo.
e. Wants to apply For 2014 intake.
4. Where should I apply?

If you are making > 200k USD, Why are you even considering schools outside Top 5.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: Where should I apply? (with case studies) [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 01:23
Posted from my mobile device Image

Last edited by sudi03 on 31 Oct 2013, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Where should I apply? (with case studies) [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 08:45
Expert's post
sudi03 wrote:
1. Wants to go into finance preferably Investment Banking or Corporate finance.
2. Schools to consider Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Haas, Kellogg, Duke, Cornell, Rochester, Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, USC, LBS, ISB , nus
3. Qualifications.
a. 700 GMAT
b. 3.4 from Top 10 In India. (top 5 in class )
Majored in Engineering, passed all 3 levels of CFA. Passed FRM both parts.
Interned .25 yrs from a college in europe.
c. Worked in a prop trading firm as a trader for 5-6 years. Among the top few traders in the firm. Incoming Salary +Bonus > 200 k $.
d. Not great Extra curricular, have been involves in few clubs during college.volunteering work for local ngo.
e. Wants to apply For 2014 intake.
4. Where should I apply?

Sudio,

What are you doing professionally?

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Last edited by Accepted.com on 16 Apr 2013, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Science (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

Reviews Badge
Re: Where should I apply? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 12:01
Hi all,

Here I have a query for Harsh6239

1. Indian male Merchant Marine Officer with vast leadership experiences and international exposure. Sailed all around the world on oil tankers and worked closely with crew of 15 different nationalities. Two failed start-ups (small businesses) in the past. Wants to do MBA to learn best business practices, network, get exposure and get into entrepreneurship, if not immediately after MBA, then within five years after MBA. Attracted to General management, consulting, entrepreneurship. No intention of coming back to shipping post MBA. Scared of loans (will look for financial aid)

2. 750 GMAT (Q50, V40, IR 8, AWA 4.5)

3. Has First Class (73%) B.Sc. (Nautical Science) three-year degree from University of Mumbai.

4. Worked with various international shipping companies for last 7 years on contracts.

5. Strong social and extra-curricular profile through-out. Was very active in college organizing several events. Remains connected to college and leads a major alumni initiative to bring changes in the Maritime industry. Founded a small social initiative in the US(Illinois) for Indian non-immigrants.

6. Where should he apply for 2014 ?

Please give me your inputs, I will be obliged.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Where should I apply? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 07:57
Expert's post
harsh6239 wrote:
Hi all,

Here I have a query for Harsh6239

1. Indian male Merchant Marine Officer with vast leadership experiences and international exposure. Sailed all around the world on oil tankers and worked closely with crew of 15 different nationalities. Two failed start-ups (small businesses) in the past. Wants to do MBA to learn best business practices, network, get exposure and get into entrepreneurship, if not immediately after MBA, then within five years after MBA. Attracted to General management, consulting, entrepreneurship. No intention of coming back to shipping post MBA. Scared of loans (will look for financial aid)

2. 750 GMAT (Q50, V40, IR 8, AWA 4.5)

3. Has First Class (73%) B.Sc. (Nautical Science) three-year degree from University of Mumbai.

4. Worked with various international shipping companies for last 7 years on contracts.

5. Strong social and extra-curricular profile through-out. Was very active in college organizing several events. Remains connected to college and leads a major alumni initiative to bring changes in the Maritime industry. Founded a small social initiative in the US(Illinois) for Indian non-immigrants.

6. Where should he apply for 2014 ?

Please give me your inputs, I will be obliged.

Harsh,

Just to clarify, were you working with various international shipping companies for 7 years while in the Merchant Marines or after serving in the Merchant Marines? Do you have a geographic preference in terms of the schools? US, Canada, Asia, or Europe?

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Science (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 15

Reviews Badge
Re: Where should I apply? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 08:18
This post received
KUDOS
Accepted.com wrote:

Harsh,

Just to clarify, were you working with various international shipping companies for 7 years while in the Merchant Marines or after serving in the Merchant Marines? Do you have a geographic preference in terms of the schools? US, Canada, Asia, or Europe?

Best,
Linda

Thanks Linda for your reply. I do have a geographic preference and will prefer US, Canada, Asia, and Europe, in that order. The reason for this preference is that I am seeking knowledge and strong foundation in business management from my MBA which I feel a one-year program may not provide. Since I do not have past experience / education in business management my transformation will need a strong foundation and by what I know I feel that the schools in the US are the best for that.

I have worked with various shipping companies while being very much in Merchant Marine. By working with shipping companies here means working on-board their ocean going ships (oil tankers) as an officer and NOT in their various offices ashore (However I do have a little experienced working ashore as a Marine-Hull insurance Underwriter). Not many people from my career go for an MBA and for this reason it is quite difficult to make the ad-com understand what exactly my work involved and what skill sets I carry forward. I have a very genuine interest and reason for going for an MBA but I am not sure which schools would actually look for a candidate like me, although in their brochure they all talk about transformations !
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Where should I apply? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 08:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
harsh6239 wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:

Harsh,

Best,
Linda

Thanks Linda for your reply. I do have a geographic preference and will prefer US, Canada, Asia, and Europe, in that order. The reason for this preference is that I am seeking knowledge and strong foundation in business management from my MBA which I feel a one-year program may not provide. Since I do not have past experience / education in business management my transformation will need a strong foundation and by what I know I feel that the schools in the US are the best for that.

I have worked with various shipping companies while being very much in Merchant Marine. By working with shipping companies here means working on-board their ocean going ships (oil tankers) as an officer and NOT in their various offices ashore (However I do have a little experienced working ashore as a Marine-Hull insurance Underwriter). Not many people from my career go for an MBA and for this reason it is quite difficult to make the ad-com understand what exactly my work involved and what skill sets I carry forward. I have a very genuine interest and reason for going for an MBA but I am not sure which schools would actually look for a candidate like me, although in their brochure they all talk about transformations !

Given your stats and experience, I think a lot of schools will be interested in you. A couple of cautions:

1. Confirm with each school that it accepts the three-year degree. At this point, most schools do, but it pays to check BEFORE you apply.
2. Aim for schools, like Kellogg, with higher levels of experience at matriculation.

Focus on the following programs. Tuck, Kellogg, Ross, Johnson, Haas, UCLA, and Duke. If you want to stretch, look at HBS or Stanford. If you want a safety program where scholarships are more likely, look at UT Austin or UNC.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Where should I apply? (with case studies) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 12:54
Linda/Jon:

Excellent discussion about Ajay's profile. Seems like most of the finance guys are applying to Chicago, NYU Stern, Columbia, Wharton, probably because they want to learn finance and end-up working in NY.

My profile: GMAT: 730, Passed CFA L3, 6 yrs. of work ex. in Electronics + 4 yrs. work ex. in Investment Management

Can you please critique my thought process:
It seems the finance courses in MBA schools would be redundant to what I have learnt during my CFA? My post-MBA goal is to remain in Finance (Investment Research/Management or similar industry) but utilize my MBA to learn about other aspects of business, which I guess can be fulfilled by other business schools as well. If I apply to not-so-know schools in finance, I would have better chance of being accepted as well as utilize my MBA to the most. Any comments would be appreciated ? Which schools are know for IM ?

Thanks !

Accepted.com wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:

So we are changing Ajay's goal, GMAT, and CFA status. :-) OK. Does this new Ajay resemble anyone you know? Hopefully he has also been investing privately if not on the job opr has other evidence of his interest in finance.

In this case, Ajay should consider applying to Chicago, NYU Stern, Columbia, Wharton R1. If not accepted, he should try Duke, Yale, Cornell and UCLA Anderson R2.

Best,
Linda
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Where should I apply? (with case studies) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 19:19
Expert's post
MBAFall2014 wrote:
Linda/Jon:

Excellent discussion about Ajay's profile. Seems like most of the finance guys are applying to Chicago, NYU Stern, Columbia, Wharton, probably because they want to learn finance and end-up working in NY.

My profile: GMAT: 730, Passed CFA L3, 6 yrs. of work ex. in Electronics + 4 yrs. work ex. in Investment Management

Can you please critique my thought process:
It seems the finance courses in MBA schools would be redundant to what I have learnt during my CFA? My post-MBA goal is to remain in Finance (Investment Research/Management or similar industry) but utilize my MBA to learn about other aspects of business, which I guess can be fulfilled by other business schools as well. If I apply to not-so-know schools in finance, I would have better chance of being accepted as well as utilize my MBA to the most. Any comments would be appreciated ? Which schools are know for IM ?

Thanks !

Accepted.com wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:

Best,
Linda

Abhi,

Before I respond, could you clarify why you feel you need an MBA? What do you want to do or feel you will do better with an MBA that you can't do now, given your education and experience?

Thanks,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 36

Re: Where should I apply? (with case studies) [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2013, 01:26
Hi Linda / Jon,

Can you please help me in identifying the schools that I should target based on my profile and career goals? I plan to start my MBA in Fall 2014 and will be applying in the second round for most schools.

Gender - Male
Age - 26
Nationality - Indian

Educational Qualification
Bachelor's of Commerce (Banking & Insurance), University of Mumbai
Year of Graduation: 2008
Results: 78.50% on 100 (Have not converted to GPA because India does not have a standardized result format)

CFA Charter holder
CFA Institute, USA
Was awarded the charter in September 2013

Work Experience
Total Work Experience: 5 years 11 months
Full time: 4 years 6 months
Part time: 1 year 5 months

Overview
• Over 4 years of full-time experience in equities & interest rates trading and investment banking
• Focused on trading assets & derivatives with an inclination towards technical analysis
• Efficient in trade execution, tracking economic data and risk management

My first two and half years (part-time + full-time) were with a boutique investment banking firm focused on Private Equity and debt syndication and placement of funds. My job involved preparation of information memorandums & financial models for clients and presentation of these opportunities to investors. After that I moved to mid-sized broking firm to pursue security trading. I worked as a Trader in their capital markets division focusing on intra-day jobbing and arbitrage. My last job was with a multinational bank as an Assistant Trader on their Interest Rate Derivatives trading desk for two and half years.

Extra-curricular Activities
• Long distance runner. Ran Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon (21 kms) 2007-2013
• Elected class representative for a year during my undergraduate degree
• Participated in a number of debates and entrepreneurship related inter-college events
• Motorbike enthusiast. Been a part of motorbiking expeditions to the mountainous terrains of North India
• Trekking, travelling, reading, yoga & music

GMAT
Total Score: 700 (89%ile)
Quant: 49 (81%ile)
Verbal: 36 (80%ile)

Post MBA goals
Short term: Consulting (Financial Services division of a top tier firm)
Long term: Entrepreneurial

I have already applied to INSEAD (France / Singapore) and ISB (India). Please suggest other schools in Asia and United States that I could apply to. Are schools like INSEAD, LBS, Harvard and Stanford within my reach?

Do let me know if you need any further information to evaluate my profile.

Thank you for your support.
Re: Where should I apply? (with case studies)   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2013, 01:26