Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 09:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where should i start?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Where should i start? [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 22:24
Just got out of my GMAT Euphoria. Way too many things to get an application ready. Trying to figure out how to give this a kick start! I am quite overwhelmed.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1580 [1] , given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Where should i start? [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 03:33
This post received
KUDOS
mailtheguru wrote:
Just got out of my GMAT Euphoria. Way too many things to get an application ready. Trying to figure out how to give this a kick start! I am quite overwhelmed.

HAW TA GEWT YERSELF INTO AN MBA PRAWGRAM, STEP BAH STEP:

1. Revamp your resume first. This will be step one and will help guide you on this quest. Remember that this isn't a job, so telling them about your "AJAX instantiated C++ calls to the roto-rooter" may not mean a thing to the adcom. Think business oriented, think numbers, think impact. Also, don't have an objective, because the only objective that makes sense is to get into an MBA program and thats pretty darn obvious. List extracurriculars and school on here.

2. Now that you've revamped your resume, order transcripts from each school you've attended. You'll need at least one copy, but better yet, order a few. You can check how many you'll need by seeing which schools let you self report. Either way, you'll need a copy for when you get in :)

3. Order GMAT scores for your schools.

4. Now begin writing outlines for your recommenders. Remind them of each thing you've done. Leverage your resume that you just revamped - it will give you the material you need ("oh yea, I can remind him about the time I saved the firm X"). Get your recommenders on board with this process and tell them the deadlines are two weeks before the "true" deadline. If time permits, customize these outlines for each school.

5. Now begin writing essays for the first school. Write outlines first, because if you don't, you'll write an essay that goes all over hte place, looses its meaning, and by the time you whittle it down to the 400 words they ask for, it'll sound like whoever wrote it had a stroke induced lisp.

6. Write essays for first school. Remember - constantly tweak that resume as you think of new things you've achieved. You'll be surprised what exists when you stop to think about it.

7. Inbetween essay writing, fill out the self-reported transcripts and random bits of information they want. There is a lot here, and this is the number you will most underestimate I think. I must have gone through my apps 50 times filling in little details and double checking everything - spelling, phone numbers, etc.

8. Absolutely have someone else review your essays. I suggest someone to close to you who doesn't mind telling you they suck and who wont already know "your story" (or even unclear stories might be clear to them).

9. Did you read 8?

10. Submit.

Rinse, repeat.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 09:13
If I can put my two cents in...

I assume you 're applying to the second round. I advise that you get started outlining and beginning your essays. I am applying to 5 schools, and I started my essays around the second week of September. I will not be finished with them (edited and all) until sometime next weekend. My Brain feels like it has been crapped on; I probably cannot write another creative essay for the next 4 years. So they take time, a clear head, good topics, and patience. Recommenders are also very important. The other information that they ask you on their system can be taken care of after a couple of all nighters. BUt remember-

Essays.Are.A.Bi****.

almost done though :cry:
Non-Human User
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Where should i start? [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2014, 13:43
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Where should i start?   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2014, 13:43