Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where to apply

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.16
WE: Underwriter (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Where to apply [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 20:05
First about me:
WE - 65 months as of today in small business and middle market lending for a regional bank in the SE USA. I have been promoted and work in multiple locations. I do lead team meetings but have no direct reports.
GPA - 3.16 Finance major at a regional public school in NC (Appalachian State University)
GMAT - 710 total (66% Q, 96% V)
Other - Volunteer work with the United Way, Board member of local red cross chapter, summer abroad summer session in Germany while in undergrad, Service fraternity in undergrad, avid amateur tournament golfer and runner, extensive international travel experience.

I'm looking to transition to management consulting, management rotational program, or non-profit management.

While in business school I would like to be able to take part in an international consulting project or have other international opportunities.

At this point I've applied to UNC - Kenan Flagler and Georgetown - McDonough. After visiting both I loved the facilities and location (urban and in a good job market) of McDonough, but at UNC I really liked the learning atmosphere and all of the students, faculty, and administrators that I met. Really if you could put Kenan-Flagler on the McDonough campus I think you'd have one of the best B-Schools in the country. I'll also qualify for in-state tuition at Kenan-Flagler which is a huge plus.

Other schools I'm considering applying to are Ross (a bit of stretch for my profile I think) and Kellogg (seemingly a huge stretch). Based on my future career goals and what I'm looking for in a school (friendly, international opportunities, in a fun area, and near a major market). Does anyone have any other schools that they would suggest I look into?

Thanks,

DH63396
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 53

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Where to apply [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 16:13
Expert's post
I don't think you can get into Kellogg. Ross is a reach, but do-able (especially if you're willing to retake the GMAT and get your score a bit higher to make up for low-ish GPA), especially since they've increased class size. Georgetown and UNC seem like Matches.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 40

Re: Where to apply [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 19:01
If I were you, I'd also look at Duke (as a semi-stretch school) and Emory. Georgetown is good, but their placement isn't nearly as good as Emory's.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: HBS '17, CBS '16, Yale '17
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 23

Re: Where to apply [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 12:35
With the current 66% Q, I think you could greatly improve your overall GMAT score on top of the 710 you already have. You have fair work experience and less than average GPA but you also have good EC and international experiences. IMHO, you have a shot at Kellogg! Best of luck :)
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Where to apply [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 09:52
Expert's post
You definitely have an interesting split there. And although I agree that getting a higher GMAT is nice, it's not aaaaaaall that necessary, and I get the feeling that it's not THAT that will be the game changer. Once you have your 710, you are pretty much good to go as far as the GMAT goes. It then becomes time to work on the rest. Like your essays. I think you have a very interesting profile. True that maybe it's not a shoe-in into a school like Kellogg, but I still think you would have some sort of shot there (even if a long one). The GPA and the regional school are your two obstacles, and you don't have the high class finance job, but you have nothing that would raise a red flag either. So all the suggestions here are good - Ross, Duke, Emory, Georgetown (actually if you could apply to as many or all.... this will give you the best results). I think you already applied to two schools where you should have decent to good chances, so add a few more that you like, and then you are good to go!!!

Hope this helps out!
And good luck!!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 40

Re: Where to apply [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 12:27
I was at a 710 GMAT too (44/44) and am really glad I took it again.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Re: Where to apply [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2013, 04:42
You have a good GMAT score and a decent work experience. You have few weak links (Uni name, work experience, etc). You would like any of the top schools. It is their responsibility to impress you during your visit. Visit other schools, and you will like them too. But, spend more time talking to the students/alumni of those schools and you would slowly see the real picture.

I don’t think getting into UNC and Georgetown is very difficult to achieve with your profile. Or, should I say, you can at least get an interview call. Most people with good profiles on paper don’t deliver strong application essays. That’s where the problem is.

Focus on your application essays for Ross and Kellogg. Get them reviewed by the alumni of those schools.

This article might help you understand more on how to compile your application.
http://www.interviewbay.com/blog/6-comp ... pplication

Good Luck!
www.interviewbay.com
Re: Where to apply   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2013, 04:42