Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where to Apply My Strenghts and Weakness

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 510 Q34 V28
GMAT 2: 580 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q34 V44
GMAT 4: 690 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.61
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 16

Where to Apply My Strenghts and Weakness [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 13:14
GMAT: 640; 97% verbal, 35th Quant
Texas A&M University, Political Science
Teacher at Title I School for past 5 years
Several academic and professional awards and distinctions

Strengths
I am a first generation graduate from an improverished background (Mexican-American). I moved here at an early age without speaking a word of English and graduated college before my 20th birthday. [I graduated in 2 1/2 years]. My professional background is as a bilingual teacher at a Title I School. When I first started, our school was the lowest performing school out of 60 schools in our school district. Because of the school's poor academic performance, it was placed under state supervision and risked being closed. As a teacher, I have not only helped students become successful but have also conducted district wide trainings to help teachers how to use data to improve student performance. Today, my school is one of the top 3 performing schools in our school district! In his LOR my boss (school principal) credits me as being THE key for turning our school around. He also brags about my quantitative abilities and how I have been able to use data disegregation to improve student performance at high levels.

Weakness
I earned Calculus credit back in high school (through examination) and have not taken math since. I did horrible on GMAT Quant, scoring in the 35% percentile. : ( I find this particularly ironic given that I teach mathematics and my students do outstanding on standardized exams. Anyway, I have tried to prepare for this portion of the exam for the past 2 months but am not seeing much improvement

Advice
I'm not all that confident that I will do better on the quant section of the GMAT if I were to take the test again. Are there any top schools that will consider an applicant with my profile?

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 23

Re: Where to Apply My Strenghts and Weakness [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 13:40
Your profile and background is very solid and interesting. The 35th percentile Q is an issue though for top schools. They will see that as a major red flag and question your ability to keep up with the quantitative workload. It looks like you've boosted your V score significantly. If you can get your Q up to a more reasonable level, even if its more like 50-60th percentile, which would also bring your overall score up closer to 680 or so I guess, I think you'd have a really good shot at a top 10-15 school.

With the GMAT as it stands, you probably have a shot at a top 20 since you have solid grades from a good school and are an under represented minority but top 10 might be a real stretch. Just my opinion.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 510 Q34 V28
GMAT 2: 580 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q34 V44
GMAT 4: 690 Q43 V42
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 16

Re: Where to Apply My Strenghts and Weakness [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 14:26
Thanks. I'm just puzzled as to what else I can do to improve my Q. I have practiced religiously for 2 months. Tonight I will take a Manhattan CAT to see where I stand at this moment. Any suggestions?

kasonhills wrote:
Your profile and background is very solid and interesting. The 35th percentile Q is an issue though for top schools. They will see that as a major red flag and question your ability to keep up with the quantitative workload. It looks like you've boosted your V score significantly. If you can get your Q up to a more reasonable level, even if its more like 50-60th percentile, which would also bring your overall score up closer to 680 or so I guess, I think you'd have a really good shot at a top 10-15 school.

With the GMAT as it stands, you probably have a shot at a top 20 since you have solid grades from a good school and are an under represented minority but top 10 might be a real stretch. Just my opinion.
Re: Where to Apply My Strenghts and Weakness   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2013, 14:26