Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 06:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where To Go?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Where To Go? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2007, 10:51
I think that I would like to end up in the Cleveland Metro Area, but of the schools that I am considering, what would be the best for me? It should also be noted that my interest lies in Management.

(this is how I rank them now... what changes should I make?)
1. Harvard University
2. Yale University
3. Northwestern University
4. Dartmouth College
5. Ohio State University
6. University of Pennsylvania
7. Duke University
8. University of Texas
9. Carnegie Mellon University
10. University of Notre Dame

Or, if anyone has suggestions on other schools that might be better for my interests.

Last edited by seanpatin on 03 Jul 2007, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2007, 12:17
In terms of you ability to land a highly desirable and competitive job in the Cleveland area (does such a thing exist? :) ), I'd rank them like this:

1. MIT
2. Dartmouth
3. Virginia
4. Duke
5. Yale
6. Carnegie Mellon
7. Notre Dame
8. Ohio State
9. Texas
10. USC

MIT is not as well known for general management as the next 3 schools on the list, but it's reputation gives it the edge. As many have discussed elsewhere, schools should largely be compared to each other within a cluster. One might consider location, family or a huge scholarship when choosing a school from a lower cluster, but none of the elite or ultra-elite on your list are all that close to Cleveland and I don't know that any of them have particularly close ties to the city.

I put CM after the elites because, in my experience, Ohio and Pennsylvania (especially Eastern Pennsylvania) are close cousins in terms of education and work. Actually, it's a very close call with CM, Notre Dame and Ohio State. all three schools have reputations for delivering grads to 2nd tier Midwest cities. It's probably a toss-up. If you can save some money with in state tuition (don't know) then Ohio State might make take the lead.

I think Texas is a good school, generally near the top of its cluster, but I think it trails in this situation because they don't have the ties to Cleveland that the 6-8 schools have. It's a two way street. I don't think many people at Texas have Cleveland at the top of their list so there likely aren't many alumni or connections to tap into; the flip side is that firms in Cleveland likely don't look to Texas because they will have a harder time attracting students from there than from other comparable schools (like Ohio State, Notre Dame & Carnegie Mellon).

I think USC is like Texas, but it's an even tougher sell to get students to go to Cleveland, so it's even less likely that firms in Cleveland actively recruit at USC.

As far as what changes, you should make, it seems strange that have a bunch of elites on your list, but you didn't include Michigan. It's only about 3-4 hours by car from Ann Arbor to Cleveland and they have a top notch general management program. Consider subbing it in for Yale. It's also strange that the only ultra-elite on your list is MIT. There are ultra-elites better known for management and there are ultra-elites that are closer. Kellogg seems like the logical choice; it's in the Midwest (that's a hard sell for a lot of companies), it's an ultra-elite and it's strong in general management.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2007, 15:10
My knowledge of midwest geography is a little spotty, but why don't you drop USC, TX, and Duke, and replace them with Chi, Kellogg, and Illinois?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2007, 15:36
I realize some of those schools are quite far, mostly I just liked the schools. Although USC is likely to be dropped off of my list. I really like some of Texas' programs, but at the same time there are better schools out there and I really don't wanna end up in TX although Austin would probably be doable for 2 years. I will actually update my list a little for further response.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2007, 16:31
When you edit your original list, it makes the discussions that follow really confusing.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2007, 17:52
Why not Case Western? If I recall correctly it's located in Cleveland.

L.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2007, 19:17
I was basically looking only Top 20, with the exception of OSU which is right around 22. But, Notre Dame I chose for its regional rep too, so Case Western could arguably be on the list. Now that I think about it though, I probably won't really give ND consideration either since it would be a pretty low-rank for my target range.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2007, 20:49
seanpatin wrote:
I was basically looking only Top 20, with the exception of OSU which is right around 22. But, Notre Dame I chose for its regional rep too, so Case Western could arguably be on the list. Now that I think about it though, I probably won't really give ND consideration either since it would be a pretty low-rank for my target range.

I don't think there are significant differences between Case Western and OSU. And ND is usually considered as better than the other two.

My advice: be careful with published rankings, or at least know which criteria is used to rank schools. The ranking system which seems to be closer to common perception is the cluster system (check the Ultra Elites, Elites, Trans Elites, Near Elites and Near Elite Frontier forums in this site for further info).

As per that system ND is a Near Elite while OSU and Case Western are Near Elite Frontier schools (i.e.: one cluster below ND).

L.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2007, 23:14
Agreed. I know all about the misconstrued rankings (law school rankings are probably more skewed than B-school and I spent a lot of time looking at those in the past). But, I actually think OSU is a little underrated and they have some excellent program features, which kind of make me favor them over some of the other schools. For instance, the 3:1 student/faculty ratio is ridiculous! They have a great campus (B-school actually has underground tunnels to connect all of its separate buildings). And, as in a few other programs, they have a pretty significant team-concept, which is at least interesting although I am not 100% keen on it. The International program there is supposed to be pretty good as well, and since my interest is in management at a multinational corporation, I think this could be beneficial.

But, hopefully I get into Harvard and then it won't really matter... haha! "Keep The Dream Alive"
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2007, 00:29
seanpatin wrote:
But, hopefully I get into Harvard and then it won't really matter... haha! "Keep The Dream Alive"

Since it seems to matter to you, HBS has tunnels too. :wink:
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2007, 10:08
I just think in cold places, it could be nice in the winter. For instance, since I went to Iowa, it got cold sometimes and there were no tunnels. I mean, sure, I survived, but there were times where I questioned whether I would or not. And, it actually influenced me to miss class occasionally.
  [#permalink] 04 Jul 2007, 10:08