Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 17:49

Going on right now!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 09:17
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

68% (02:03) correct 32% (01:53) wrong based on 4 sessions
Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, in the Internet industry they are blurred and in distinct, as companies that compete one day may be partners the next.

A. Whereas lines of competition are clearly defin ed in the more established industries, in the Internet industry they are blurred and in distinct, as companies that compete

B. Although the lines of competition are clearly d efined in industries that are more established , they are blurred and indistinct in the Internet threats t industry, as competing companies

C. The lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, unlike the Internet where they are blurred and i ndistinct, as companies that compete

D. Unlike more established industries, where the lines of competition are clearly DEFI ned, they are burred and indistinct in the Internet i ndustry, as companies that compete

E. Unlike more established industries, with clearly defined lines of competition, those of the Internet industry are blurred and i ndistinct, as competing companies
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 11:55
I think its B. Some corrections are needed ( but I think they are more of copy and paste issues when you typed the question )

http://gmatstuff.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2007, 03:02
I would go for C

A) 'whereas' doesnt seem to convey well enough the purpose of what the author is trying to say, 'unlike' and 'although' seem to be better options

B) 'as competing companies ONE DAY may be partners in the next' sounds awkward

C) I cant spot any errors there, and it uses 'unlike' which seems better than 'whereas' from answer A

D) Definitely wrong, because here 'established industries' is being compared to 'they' (clearly referring to lines of competition). like should be compared to like

E) 'as competing companies ONE DAY may be partners in the next' sounds awkward

whats the OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

OA is 'A' [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2007, 20:44
OA is 'A'
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 645 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 22:52
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 01:18
I believe the usage of "where" is incorrect. "where" should specify an actual location, therefore we can cross off C & D.
And in B & E, "as competing companies one day may be partners the next" is an awkward phrase.

A appears to be the correct choice here.

Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever - Gandhi

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 13:16
C,D,E are out because of wrong usage of Unlike.

Between A & B.
A uses "as companies that compete one day may be partners the next. " is much better than "as competing companies one day may be partners the next. "
Also "more established industries" is better than "industries that are more established"

A wins

Please give Kudos if you like the post

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 645 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 14:11
Expert's post
summer101 wrote:
C,D,E are out because of Unlike.

Between A & B.
A uses "as companies that compete one day may be partners the next. " is much better than "as competing companies one day may be partners the next. "
Also "more established industries" is better than "industries that are more established"

A wins

Why do you think that competing companies is inferior to companies that compete.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 29

Re: Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 18:20
I went for " E"... not sure why competing companies is wrong...

"Where are my Kudos" ............ Good Question = kudos

"Start enjoying all phases" & all Sections

percentages-700-800-level-questions-130588.html

700-to-800-level-quant-question-with-detail-soluition-143321.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 88

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 01:10
humtum0 wrote:
Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, in the Internet industry they are blurred and in distinct, as companies that compete one day may be partners the next.

A. Whereas lines of competition are clearly defin ed in the more established industries, in the Internet industry they are blurred and in distinct, as companies that compete

B. Although the lines of competition are clearly d efined in industries that are more established , they are blurred and indistinct in the Internet threats t industry, as competing companies

C. The lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, unlike the Internet where they are blurred and i ndistinct, as companies that compete

D. Unlike more established industries, where the lines of competition are clearly DEFI ned, they are burred and indistinct in the Internet i ndustry, as companies that compete

E. Unlike more established industries, with clearly defined lines of competition, those of the Internet industry are blurred and i ndistinct, as competing companies

My Answer : A

C ,D & E are out --> illogical comparison
between B & A , i rejected B because of ",as competing companies" sounded awkward.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 11-18-2013

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 07:08
A is the correct choice: Look out for quantities being compared. We are comparing lines of competition in Established industries and Internet Industry.

Reasoning:
A. Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, in the Internet industry they are blurred and in distinct, as companies that compete--Correct.

B. Although the lines of competition are clearly defined in industries that are more established , they are blurred and indistinct in the Internet threats t industry, as competing companies---Here the meaning is distorted, because of although.

C. The lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, unlike the Internet where they are blurred and indistinct, as companies that compete--Comparison of lines of competition and Internet. Incorrect.

D. Unlike more established industries, where the lines of competition are clearly Defined, they are burred and indistinct in the Internet industry, as companies that compete---'They' refers to more established industries and not lines of competition Incorrect.

E. Unlike more established industries, with clearly defined lines of competition, those of the Internet industry are blurred and indistinct, as competing companies ----'Those' refers to more established industries and not lines of competition Incorrect.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 40

Re: Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 15:02
I can't tell what B is trying to say on account of typos
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more [#permalink] New post 11 May 2014, 01:35

A. Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, in the Internet industry they are blurred and in distinct, as companies that compete

There is no problem in A. Identifying the SV pairs, highlighted in red, in the sentence shows that the comparisons are actually parallel. Lines of competition in the more established industries are correctly compared to those of the internet industry.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 06-30-2014

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2014, 00:36
adithyagoudar wrote:

A. Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, in the Internet industry they are blurred and in distinct, as companies that compete

There is no problem in A. Identifying the SV pairs, highlighted in red, in the sentence shows that the comparisons are actually parallel. Lines of competition in the more established industries are correctly compared to those of the internet industry.

What is wrong with option B ?
Phrase "competing companies" doesn't change the meaning of sentence and neither does "Although". In fact the presence of "Although" clears the intent of 'they' in 2nd part of sentence. (i.e. lines of competition)

:roll: :lol: :!: :roll: EXPERTS PLEASE REPLY !! :roll: :shock: :!: :roll:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 11-08-2014
GPA: 3.1

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 314

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2014, 10:25
anirudh777 wrote:
adithyagoudar wrote:

What is wrong with option B ?
Phrase "competing companies" doesn't change the meaning of sentence and neither does "Although". In fact the presence of "Although" clears the intent of 'they' in 2nd part of sentence. (i.e. lines of competition)

:roll: :lol: :!: :roll: EXPERTS PLEASE REPLY !! :roll: :shock: :!: :roll:

Hello mate..

m not an expert but jus thot to try my best to explain..

in B,the sentence doesnt end well,although it quite clearly compares the lines of competition...the end is highly awkward as it states competing companies ,and may mean that they are,competing at the current moment...A however,puts it in simple present tense which is required in the context of the sentence..

HOPE THAT HELPS :)

THE WORD IMPOSSIBLE ITSELF SAYS : I-M-POSSIBLE...SO,DREAM THE IMPOSSIBLE-AND DO THE INCREDIBLE

Re: Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2014, 10:25