Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 02:02
I would like to share my GMAT experience. Please advise whether to complaint about test centre or not and why.

Two days ago I took the GMAT. From the beginning of the test I complainted about the fact that the pen (or marker) for laminated paper did not write properly, it means when I was writing something on laminated paper, sometimes black ink did not imprint on it at all.
Test administrator proposed me other pens that were even worse and just said that the are only 3 pens available and he can't do anything else for me! :evil:
I insisted to give me paper and a pencil, he agreed, gave me and I entered the test room.
After may be 25-35 minutes( I was writing AWA) his collegue brought the administrator new pen and after this the administrator entered the testing room and took my papers (with notes!) and replaced them with laminated paper and pen, saying that it is prohibited to use paper (WTF!!! :evil: ).
I loose my concentration for couple of minutes, got nervous and continued my AWA.
After AWA, I continued to complaint that the pen does not imprint, but he replied smth like: "it works properly, look here (he wrote something on laminated paper), we have bought just right now, well, you just have to rewrite or write in other part of paper if it would not imprint" I am sorry WHATT??I have to re-write?!!! :shock: :evil:

In conclusion he said: "well, you pass this test in order to get a scolarship from US universities, right? so, you must obey the rules and procedures and even suffer (he referred to pen), if you want a scolarship". :!: :x WHAT?!!!
I am sorry, but I have paid 250$ for taking this test, I don't care about scolarship now!
I would kill him! :twisted:
I have concluded that his understanding why people need the GMAT is quite limited and vague. :?

I promissed him to complaint about this case to GMAC.
Nervous, I came into the testing room and have started te Quantative section. Almost everything was fine i when the pen did not imprint I pressed it harder, some of calculation I did in my mind. But still it was difficult.
During the break, I did not argue at all, because I wanted to calm down and concentrate.

During the Verbal part, everything was more or less good untill 18-22 question, when the pen completely refused to write, leaving only invisible path (yes, I pressed it harder to see at least something).
Moreover, when I have emotions, my palms sweat. I think the combination of capricious pen and wet laminated paper completely destroyed the pen. Do you imagine how difficult it was to concentrate?
I did not want to argue again with the test administrator again or explain him that I need something for my records, because of time pressure.
I became very nervous, I loose my concentration. I tryed to memorize long a RC passage, and draw in my mind schemes, when doing CR and cross the wrong answers in my mind. :twisted: Do you imagine this?

I decided to do my best, whatever happens.
When I was asked whether I want to report my score or cancel it, I really did not know what to do, I knew that although my Q section was more or less OK, the Verbal part was a black box for me.

I selected "report the score" and pressed next.
my score was 560 (Q44 V23) :x :x :x

Before the test, the CATs showed me that I am in 27-34 range for Verbal, and 42-45 for Q.

Now I am thinking whether to complaint to GMAC or not. If yes, should I ask them to cancel my score/refund me money/or ask to sit another test instead of this.

Please advise me, guys.

Thank you.

p.s.

According to GMAC:

We have the following rights and responsibilities:
Have your test administered according to standard technical specifications and under standard environmental conditions by test administrators (TAs) who have been trained in the specific rules and procedures required for the GMAT exam.

Promptly inform the appropriate person(s), as specified to you by the organization responsible for test administration, if you believe that testing conditions affected your results.

Present any concerns about the testing process or your test results in a timely fashion.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by PTK on 06 Jun 2010, 05:04, edited 7 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 02:29
sorry for the bad experience, I think you have a legit case for a complaint
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 986 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 02:51
If you complain, you have 50% chance of getting the test reschedule.

If you don't then 100 % chance of not getting the test reschedule.

Good luck ahead.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 03:12
gurpreetsingh wrote:

Good luck ahead.

I like your response, very strong logic. :)

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 732 [0], given: 40

Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 04:40
Mod note: keep comments respectful

Can you tell at which test center this mishappening took place?

Pkit wrote:
gurpreetsingh wrote:

Good luck ahead.

I like your response, very strong logic. :)

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 04:54
right now, I have already sent the complaint to Pearson Vue.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 09:43
Outcome.

Pearson VUE replied that they carefully reviewed my case and will neither redeem me the cost of the test nor cancel out my score. :x

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 2

Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 10:48
Pkit wrote:
Outcome.

Pearson VUE replied that they carefully reviewed my case and will neither redeem me the cost of the test nor cancel out my score. :x

on what basis...asked them to share your video footage

if actually you pen was not working fine then it can be easily detected with footage.

Screw them up...
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 11:02
smartmundu wrote:

on what basis...asked them to share your video footage

if actually you pen was not working fine then it can be easily detected with footage.

Screw them up...

Thank you for support, I would rather spent this time preparing for the GMAT and demosntate my abilities rather that arguing with them, becasue it is too time- consuming process.

For thoise who are will communicate GMAT customer service, CC American GMAC customer service as European did not reply me for about two weeks.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Schools: CMU, Kelley
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 2

Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 17:47
I think you did the right thing by complaining.

The 250 USD exam fee should take care of such basic things like this.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 20:15
resh wrote:
I think you did the right thing by complaining.

The 250 USD exam fee should take care of such basic things like this.

thanks ;)

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 32

Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 21:31
Really sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.
I feel that GMAC doesn't have good customer service from my experiences with using their payment systems online. I think this stems from their monopoly over the GMAT test ... they have no incentive to improve their image or service -- which other company would we switch over to ?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 21:40
sanlitun wrote:
Really sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.
I feel that GMAC doesn't have good customer service from my experiences with using their payment systems online. I think this stems from their monopoly over the GMAT test ... they have no incentive to improve their image or service -- which other company would we switch over to ?

Thanks.
I completly agree with you. Theoretically one can pass GRE, which is accepted by some schools, practically I would not take GRE.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 14

Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 19:37
This post received
KUDOS
This is really silly! They charge 250$ but they cannot give you a proper pen. Does anyone have any similiar issues like this? Last thing you want to happen on the test day is that little things like this are trying to destroy you.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 20:38
lalithajob wrote:
This is really silly! They charge 250$ but they cannot give you a proper pen. Does anyone have any similiar issues like this? Last thing you want to happen on the test day is that little things like this are trying to destroy you.

thanks for support, mate :)

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 09:15
Respected sir,
I wrote my gmat exam, this noon(9/11/12, 12pm) in chennai center, india, and I have complaint, in regard to a question, which I received in integrated reasoning. I received a numerical error in middle of integrated reasoning, for numerical data, the screen displayed me with $ symbol. What I mean is, it was an investment based reasoning question and for that one amount was clear and the other was given to me like 12$$000... Formally, I followed all such procedure. I rose my hand, caled my supervisor, made him a complaint and he, by the way assured me that he would make a complaint but as now, he left to me with no option than to continue with such error, with time left, after such all this formal conversation. I am so worried and I regret for such thing, happened today. Please, should I demand a proper explanation. Shall I make a complaint... Help me people here

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9414 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 11:22
Expert's post
PM Sent with details on how to file a complaint with a GMAC contact.
Thank you.
Good Luck. Hope it does not affect your scores.

BB.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 23:21
bb wrote:
PM Sent with details on how to file a complaint with a GMAC contact.
Thank you.
Good Luck. Hope it does not affect your scores.

BB.

Gmatclubers,

I went to take my GMAT at a center in India and had similar experience with the pens. In addition the test center was noisy and the proctor simply said that he cannot control the outside noise. He also said that he cannot provide me with noise cancelling or any kind of headsets because he was already requested for the headsets and Pearson hasn't sent the headsets yet. The proctor had his cell phone turned on and was sitting a couple of foot steps away from me. There was a glass wall between me and the proctor but that didn't extend to the roof and therefore I could clearly hear when his cell phone said "you have a new SMS". What a joke ! I left the test after an hour and ten minutes and in that period, I had to change the pens four times. I simply told the proctor that this is a breach of agreement between test providers and test takers and the test is no longer standardized because the pens ate 5-7 minutes out of my IR section and noise ate 4-5 minutes of my quant section.
I will very frankly say that since this issue involves Pearson India, I doubt that justice will be served. When I spoke to the Pearson guys today morning, they simply said that proctor told them that there were no issues. WTF ?? Off course he will say that, what else did they expect from him , that he will boldly accept his mistakes.
After this, I have sent a seven page letter to the regional operations head and just sent an email to Pearson's vice president of global operations. The thing that is bothering me is why are they not opening the video recording from the examination ? That recording will explain the drama very well. Also, if anyone goes to the test center during day or night, he can clearly see that the test center is located at a very noisy place and staircase runs underneath the examination room. Not providing proper headsets, they are tacitly indicating that test taker's score are dependent on luck and chances of not getting disturbed.
BB or anyone, can you guys advise me on how to deal with this issue ?
Re: whether to complaint about test centre? pls advise   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2012, 23:21