Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

[help] Whether to even take the GMAT...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

[help] Whether to even take the GMAT... [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 17:15
This post received
KUDOS
[This seems like a question that considerable people might have...but couldn't find an answer through search so here it goes....]

I am currently a undergrad senior, graduating this fall with a major in business administration. I have a job offer (and have signed with them), but at the same time looking at my long-term career goals I am strongly considering applying for an MBA perhaps three years down the line. As the scores last for 5 years, I was wondering if it was a good idea to take it now as a student, while my brain is still used to taking exams and long hours of studying. I also feel that I will have more flexibility in time as a student to study compared to when I am on the job (school's pretty busy, but work will be even worse). In addition, my job will be out of the country, which is another factor making me consider taking the test now. I were to take it now, I would most likely take it late april/early may. One concern I have is whether 2 months is enough time to study for the exam.

It would be great if you could give me feedback on drawbacks of this idea, or a "good to go sign" if this seems like a reasonable idea. Is there anything I am missing or not considering, which might hurt me in the application process couple years down the line?

Thanks!
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: [help] Whether to even take the GMAT... [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 17:54
I say you should ABSOLUTELY take it. Graduation is three months away. Pick up a copy of the OG and read up on stuff asap. You're right - work will be busier than school (I graduated May '07) and now is the best time to do this. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: [help] Whether to even take the GMAT... [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 18:00
By no means am I an expert on the GMAT, but I would suggest taking it now as you are in "student mode" and it appears you will have more time now rather than later. As for the question regarding time necessary to study, that really depends on a lot of things. I only studied for an hour a day so it took me four months before I felt confident in my test taking abilities. So depending on your baseline score/ability and time available per week, 2 months may or may not be enough. It also depends on what score you are targetting. If you are targetting 700+, I would suggest taking a GMATprep test to see where you are starting from. If you score 650+, I would say 2 months of solid studying would probably be enough to reach your goal. Hope I helped atleast a little bit. Good luck.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: [help] Whether to even take the GMAT... [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 18:10
I say take it.

I graduated in May 06, and started studying in for the GMAT in August 2007... let me tell you, that year and a half meant a lot... As in, I lost a lot of the student mentality, way more than I expected.

If you have the time to put in a couple hours a day on the OG and other books, take it. You are lucky to have the time, and opportunity to take it when your mind is really in that mode.

Best of luck, keep us updated!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: [help] Whether to even take the GMAT... [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 18:43
Definitely take it! :)
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Re: [help] Whether to even take the GMAT... [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 19:19
Yes, take it now and don't feel pressurized at all! You have plenty of time & you can always retake the GMAT.. I agree with nyrberg, it's a really good time to take it while you're still a student.. by the time you're working full time 2 years or 3 years from now, that OG book would feel like it weighs 100 pounds.

http://missmba.blogspot.com/

Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: [help] Whether to even take the GMAT... [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 01:39
icbkmts,

I (and I bet loads of other people on this forum) wish I could turn back the clock and take the GMAT nearer to my student days. Its a major headache that you won't have down the line when you come to applying.

goodluck and keep us updated!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: [help] Whether to even take the GMAT... [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 03:39
Hey everyone,

Thanks for your input...I think I know what I'll be doing.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: [help] Whether to even take the GMAT... [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 13:11
do it. i'm an engineer and when I started studying for the quant section, I forgot how to do geometry and simple algebra... You'll thank yourself for it 3 years down the road if you take it now. :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: [help] Whether to even take the GMAT... [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2008, 19:25
I would highly recommend taking it now. It's amazing how hard 2,392/192 seems when you've been out of school several years.
Re: [help] Whether to even take the GMAT...   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2008, 19:25