Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

whether to retake at 710(same score twice)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

whether to retake at 710(same score twice) [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 08:42
I took the Gmat in 2005, and got a 710. Then I took it recently and got the same score again. Both times I used Princeton review, Kaplan, Official Guides for prep.

Feel kinda deflated, since I thought I would up my score at least a bit. But not so sure now. Should I try some new reading material and give one more attempt. I am in a competitive applicant pool as it is.

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 08:59
I think 710 is a great score, and now it would really depend on everything else, essays, reco's, work experience, and interview. Now, if you have plenty of time to study more for the GMAT and feel that you should have done a lot better, then maybe retake. But, if your practice tests were similar to your final GMAT score, I wouldn't bother again, and just focus on the apps.
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 09:13
I got a 710. I don't see a reason to retake the test? Move on and work on your applications. You're at or above avg for all the top schools.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 12:15
The only concern I have is being from a competitive application pool with that score will go against me..Indian, IT background etc..

mba2010 wrote:
I got a 710. I don't see a reason to retake the test? Move on and work on your applications. You're at or above avg for all the top schools.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 12:40
chitown2k7 wrote:
The only concern I have is being from a competitive application pool with that score will go against me..Indian, IT background etc..

mba2010 wrote:

I understand your situation. But unless you can score a 770+, I don't see the point. No matter what you score on the 3rd attempt, the two identical 710s will stand out. I think a 700 and 710 would work more favorably for you. But having two identical scores, psychologically, no matter what you get on the third test, adcoms will see you as a 710. Make sense?

At least if you score a 770, it shows that you have the ability to score that high. If you get a 750, adcoms will think that you finally got the "right" test that maximized your skillset.

Last edited by kidderek on 27 Sep 2007, 05:32, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 19:09
I don't think a 710 will keep you out of anywhere, Indian or not. Just make sure your other stats are competitive, especially work experience. That's much more important. Have great recs, too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: whether to retake at 710(same score twice) [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 09:40
chitown2k7 wrote:
I took the Gmat in 2005, and got a 710. Then I took it recently and got the same score again. Both times I used Princeton review, Kaplan, Official Guides for prep.

Feel kinda deflated, since I thought I would up my score at least a bit. But not so sure now. Should I try some new reading material and give one more attempt. I am in a competitive applicant pool as it is.

Thanks

710 is a great score (better than 93% of test takers) so spend your time making everything else in your application rock solid.

from an adcoms perspective, you are scoring at your ability, and you have demonstrated that by getting a 710 twice, two years apart.

as other's have stated: any increases, unless exceptional, will most likely be viewed as luck and not ability. most likely they will view it as you scoring on the high end of the 30 point confidence interval...

as far as being in a "competitive" applicant pool... i hate to break it to you but everyone is in a competitive applicant pool and it is not because you are indian, i think it has more to do with your job.

many indians work in IT because of outsourcing, so there is a sameness which works against you. business schools want diversity - they want people to bring something interesting to the table. a team full of software engineers would make for a very dull group to work on a case study with, just as would a team full of I-bankers or accountants.

spend some time thinking about what makes YOU different from everyone else and make it shine through your essays!!! that will pay off more than any GMAT score increase.
Re: whether to retake at 710(same score twice)   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2007, 09:40