Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 20:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Whether to retake GMAT (got 710) targeting top 15 US schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Whether to retake GMAT (got 710) targeting top 15 US schools [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2004, 06:53
Hi
Please help to resolve my dellimma.
I want to target top 15 US B schools, I had few admits this year from Arizona State Univ, Richard Ivey (Canada), Rochester, Manchester. And had reject from UCLA (was R3 applicant) and reject from ISB (Indian School of Business)
But I left those all coz I was not convinced with the rank of these schools and in Ivey I did not get any help with loans.
So now I want to apply to top 15. And here are my stats.
5+ Years of IT work Exp in companies like Infosys, Oracle.
Indian By nationality.
UG from IIT (one of the top 5 engg institutes in India)
UG percentage is 68%
GMAT 710 AWA 5.5
Toefl 260

I am in a dellimma that whether to write GMAT again or start applying with improving my essays.
I wrote GMAT in Feb 03, so would have to give 2 months to studies at least for GMAT preparation.
Thanks in advance...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2004, 12:08
As you already know, a 710 is close to the mean at most of the elite schools. If given the choice between applying early and retaking I would work on the essays so that I could apply as early as possible.

The one elite school you mention, UCLA, appears to have rejected you. Have you contacted Anderson to determine why?

Hjort
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2004, 12:18
Expert's post
I'm itching to find out why you applied to those schools (ASU, Rochester, etc.) knowing that you didn't really want to go to them. But I'll leave that alone for now...

Not knowing much about your profile, I would bet good money that your GMAT was *not* the reason why you weren't admitted to your favorite schools. Your GMAT score was good enough to get you in anywhere. If I had to guess, it was probably a lack of differentiation from other candidates. As I've said on this forum many times, male Indian applicants have a really hard time standing out (and thus gaining admission), at least when it comes to American schools.

I would recommend focusing on ways to set yourself apart from other Indians with tech backgrounds. I bet they all also have 700+ GMAT scores. Bumping your score from a 710 to a 750 won't make you any more attractive to b-schools (trust me on this), but showing how you're unique will!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2004, 21:57
I applied to them because I didn't had much idea about how to finance my MBA, and for seeking the schol I applied there, but as I came to know most top US B Schools have loan scheme so now I want to target top ones.

I would like to do software services/product marketing initially and then I want to open up my own consultancy.
Please now let me know some choices.
Anoop
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2004, 08:36
Expert's post
Just give a lot of thought to how you will set yourself apart from applicants with similar backgrounds. I guarantee you that there are a lot of applicants coming from India with tech backgrounds who want to go back into technology. So, make sure that you stand out in some way. That will help you more than anything!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews