Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [4] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 23:51
This post received
KUDOS
It's over - finally. God what a mission.

Need to thank first and foremost bsd_lover from this forum. he has been a huge source of inspiration and direction through this process. would not have come anywhere close to that score without his help. thanks alot mate. real big ups.

Here is the debrief. it's a bit all over the show.

this was my second attempt. got 680 a month ago.

i actually fell sick last night. got the flu. so got all pilled up before i went to sleep. fortunately the adrenalin during the test - kept me going. got really tired towards the end.

awa was straightforward. a template that was suggested to me was
(1)intro
(2) 3-4 points
(3) put "for example" in each para
(4) conclusion

there was not much thought put into the essays. as has been advised - having a decent length is a good idea.
i think i ticked that. got 5.5 last time so should be a similar score this time round.

the last time in my quants - i panicked. and did really poorly - got a 42 i think. spent 5 minutes on the first question and never got back into it, the whole section was a blur.

i was a lot more confident this time.

things i did which made a big difference for quant:

i did all of the gmatclub tests; twice. the tests made such a big difference. when i first did them around 2.5 mths ago - i was getting 16-19. before my first attempt at the gmat i was getting around 25-27. this time i was getting between 30-35.
i think if one wants to get above 46 on Q one should be getting at least above 28 on the club quant tests. that's a good measure i think.

as mentioned the gmat club tests made a big difference. i realized after my last attempt that the area where i was really doing badly was in DS. gmat is so much about keeping calm and focused. i was getting intimidated by inequalities and modulus signs and frustrated at the fact that it seemed so simple yet it was not clear to me straightaway. consequently i would end up spending too much on a DS question affecting the rest of the exam.

On my second round of gmatclub tests - I wrote down every question I got wrong, breaking it into PS and DS questions. By the time i finished I had this list of DS questions that I would tackle very night. I would randomly pick a few to tackle. I got more and more comfortable with DS. Just getting more methodical and working through to a solution, step by step. After a while I started enjoying it - I could see the logic flow and it was nice to get past something which had intimidated me prior.

I did the same with PS. There a certain type of PS questions that come up. Work rate/ quantity input-output/number properties/area/venn diagram/graph-xy plane questions. before my last attempt i had gone out of my way to master combinatrics. i had not got even one question last time. i did not get even one question in combinatrics this time. it seems like it hardly comes.

if one wants to do well - i thinking creating an error log is important. going through Q as well as V questions and understanding why something is a solution, the logic of it really makes a difference. understanding the variations that can occur on a type of a question as well as what mistakes can occur on them.

i started doing that alot fot both quant and SC questions. I don't think any diagnostic identically simulates the GMAT. the only thing is GMATPrep.

on that, my suggestion is to do it at least 3 times (1&2). do Gmat prep1 when you first start - so you have an understanding of where you are an initial idea of when one has to focus and then perhaps a month or more gap between each tests. my abysmally poor memory helped as each time i sat - it felt like a new test.
I got 740 in my second to last gmat prep and 710 on my last one (i was very tired and had not slept well the night before - which turned out to be a boon of an experience)

on that note - material i used
gmatclub tests (twice over)
mgmat CAT (all 6 twice over)
error log
Veritas- the books are good -they are very nice intro to gmat - the online material and CAT's are terrible - don't waste money on it.
gmatter to simulate 30 minute session of SC. I created an error log and kept looking to improve my scores. just like Q I started analyzing questions and looking for various solutions/ways to construct a correct statement. also you will find gayatri's SC notes in this forum - I found them really succinct and useful. SC is 80% about parallelism I felt.

Back to the actual exam - got through the quant - was okay. my timing was surprisingly alright. the questions seemed easy and there was only one that i blanked and could not do. i was actually a bit concerned because some of the questions seemed quite easy. i figured i had at least got a 46.

the verbal was tough. really tough. i was actually 30s late. ridiculous. i spent more than 2 mins on the first SC. timing seemed like it was going to be a bit more of an issue. oh yeah, another tip; try to practice - not looking at time when you take diagnostics - it's distracting. i think bb suggests 3 times which is prob best. 2 of the RC's and 2 of the CR's were really tough. I was actually concerned about the RC's - they had seemed tough and a couple of the options in a couple of questions were pretty tight. worked out okay.

i had hardly done any work for CR and RC - I read alot - so these areas always had been fine. SC as mentioned - error logged and started analyzing questions inside out.

my heart was pumping as i flicked through the screens after completing the test. i had had a fairly bad experience the last time when i had looked at the screen, so i was quite nervous and the bladder was full. when the score came up i was stunned. happy. as mentioned it's been quite the journey. i gestured to the moderator wildly - i did not want to click something or do something which would negate the score. lol.

anyway it's done - i am relieved. people tell me the real struggle are the essays. i had been working on my essays the last couple of months - need to abbreviate them a bit. the school i am looking to get into is mbs in melbourne otherwise agsm. logisticly it's easier and im hoping for schols. busy weekend ahead.

thanks again for all the kind words that i got from various people on the forum and BIG BIG MANY MANY kudos to gmatclub and everybody involved in creating this wonderful forum.

-talent is the desire to practice-

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 12:28
This post received
KUDOS
nightwing79 wrote:

awa was straightforward. a template that was suggested to me was
(1)intro
(2) 3-4 points
(3) put "for example" in each para
(4) conclusion

Nightwing has many great tips in his debrief, but let this template for AWA be the end-all-be-all for AWA. Follow this simple and effective framework and you will never have to worry about AWA.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 23:56
Well done mate - that hard work paid off. You deserve a drink or two. But remember, GMAT is the easy part. The real work begins now with the essays. Did you use my SC method much ?
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 477 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 01:10
bsd_lover wrote:
Well done mate - that hard work paid off. You deserve a drink or two. But remember, GMAT is the easy part. The real work begins now with the essays. Did you use my SC method much ?

"My SC method"????? What was that?? I wanna know that!!!!

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 477 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 01:14
Very Congratsssssss!!!! :)

One more shining star of this forum!!!, I simply can't understand that how so many members of this forum cross 700?? Its great though!!!

Kudoos to you!!!!!!

Share your essay experience with us and also the complet application process in near future.

Congrats again!!!

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 01:49
Great post!! inspiring :) Congrats and good luck.
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 07:04
Congrats!

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 07:31
Congrats on 99 percentile.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 09:36
congrats, great work!
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 09:41
A BIG Congrats!

Good luck with you applications.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 10:13
Amazing score .. and many congratulations and good luck with MBS and AGSM .. just out of curiosity .. why not LBS ?

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 357

Kudos [?]: 1755 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 11:25
Expert's post
Congrats! Great score!
Good luck on your journey to admission!

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 12:00
great debrief and excellent score! inspiring thank you
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 16:15
pleonasm wrote:
Amazing score .. and many congratulations and good luck with MBS and AGSM .. just out of curiosity .. why not LBS ?

I live in sydney. LBS would be a dream to get into. I think there are perhaps 5-10 schools that provide a network/experience that are a notch above the rest. Otherwise there are a decent number of schools that provide a fantastic education. Like any experience, the MBA is what you make of it. Networking, putting your best foot forward and so forth. Logistically the Oz schools are a lot more comfortable than heading overseas. So weighing it all up - i think this is the best fit. Both are top of the line institutions.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 21:58
nightwing79 wrote:
pleonasm wrote:

I live in sydney. LBS would be a dream to get into. I think there are perhaps 5-10 schools that provide a network/experience that are a notch above the rest. Otherwise there are a decent number of schools that provide a fantastic education. Like any experience, the MBA is what you make of it. Networking, putting your best foot forward and so forth. Logistically the Oz schools are a lot more comfortable than heading overseas. So weighing it all up - i think this is the best fit. Both are top of the line institutions.

Cool. What you said about the '5-10 schools' is so very true.

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2009, 07:23
I finally have some more time to comment on this properly. Nightwing, whilst your initial score of 680 was a disappointment to you, many people would have been very happy with this score. But you stuck to your belief that you could do better and worked extremely hard to attain this score. You truly deserve it. I also know that on GMAT day your expectations were realistic (i.e. low 700s). Let that be a lesson for everyone striving for a super high score. GMAT is often about "on that day" performance. You could easily have had a poor day and stuff up an outstanding preparation. Yet, you can have a great day (like nightwing obviously did) and get a score to be really happy about. I know that nightwing needed this GMAT to offset your university grades and I can promise that after this score, no one will question nightwings academic ability.

So, knuckle down and really rip those essays apart.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 01:28
on the AWA front - got a 6.0 - so that template looks pretty decent.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8407 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 21:27
Expert's post
nightwing79 wrote:
on the AWA front - got a 6.0 - so that template looks pretty decent.

Please accept my belated congratulations (I was moving, so missed your post).
Fantastic Job on the GMAT and AWA - 99th percentile overall.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 01:37
Congrats great score..
Manager
Manager
Schools: AGSM '16
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 28

Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44) [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 02:04
Congrats on the awesome score and thanks for sharing your experience!
Re: Whew - it's finally done 760 (Q49, V44)   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2009, 02:04