Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 07:02

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Whic B-schools should I apply for?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Whic B-schools should I apply for? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 08:17
I just gave the GMAT and scored 770. I have not-so-great GPA in my undergrad (Engineering) and have worked 5 years in Ernst & Young. I am from India. Can anyone please tell me the schools where I've got an excellent chance of getting selected?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 22

Re: Whic B-schools should I apply for? [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 10:11
Hi happycamper - welcome to GMAT Club and congrats on that healthy 770 GMAT score! Very impressive.

The GMAT does help a bit to counter a low GPA but they don't automatically balance each other, so the rest of your profile and how you present yourself to the adcoms matter a lot. And, the way you select your schools really depends on why you want an MBA, and your personal criteria in what you care about in the grad school experience. There's a lot of moving parts to this and it would actually be professionally irresponsible for anyone to suggest schools for you based on such limited information - and even more so, we hope you understand that there's no way someone can predict that you would have "an excellent chance of getting selected" - we often can't make such a determination until after we've worked with someone for several weeks and gotten to know them through their background information, experiences, and future interests.

If you want to share a little more about yourself then we can try to offer something more specific but right now this is a completely open-ended question, and the only honest answer that we can offer is that you're generally qualified for ANY school based on the GMAT criteria and the work experience... which is obviously not too helpful.

Or maybe it is? :-)

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Whic B-schools should I apply for? [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 18:01
Hi EssaySnark,

Thanks for your detailed reply to my post. I see your point regarding the baseless nature of the query of which B-School where I've "an excellent chance of getting selected". The thing though is that I feel my GMAT score of 770 is the most outstanding feature of my entire profile. Hence, I want to which among the top B-Schools generally give the most weight to GMAT scores? This will help in determining which ones to apply for. As far as the rest of my profile is concerned, I am presenting the overview below.

Graduation Details:
University: Jadavpur University, India
Stream: Bachelor in Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering
CGPA: 7.42
Percentage: 69.95%
Year of Passing: 2008

Work Experience:
Joined Ernst & Young (Service Line: Advisory, Sub-service Line: Climate Change & Sustainability) in July 2008 as an Associate Consultant. Was promoted to Consultant in 2010 and subsequently to Senior Consultant in 2012.
Have worked in several types of projects like carbon credit related advisory services to multiple clients , low carbon transformation advisory services, sustainability reporting advisory and assurance, energy efficiency advisory to iron & steel sector clients). Have had to interact with clients a lot and held a number of capacity building sessions for different clients.
Have participated in a week long voluntary CSR program on behalf of Ernst & Young as part of a 16 member team from Europe & India.

Extra-curricular:
Frankly speaking, not much to write home about. Used to do a lot of quizzing in my college days, but never won any events and hence do not have any certificates to show for. I am an avid follower of football and write regularly for a website. In partnership with couple of friends, tried running an UK based popular football website on a trial basis but were not successful enough to be handed the reins on a more permanent basis. That is just about it.

Future career goals:
Instead of consulting, I want to move into a general management role in energy/ manufacturing sectors. Consulting for me, based on my 5 years experience in this field, is too sales and market driven. General management role, on the other hand, allows to contribute more effectively to the organization's growth. If roles in general management is hard to come by, my second preference will more mainstream consultancy like business performance improvement advisory instead of a niche consultancy like the one in which I am involved.

I hope this helps in assessing which B-School would the best for me. Like I said earlier, the thing I most want to know about is the B-Schools which generally tends to give more priority than other schools on GMAT scores.
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 22

Re: Whic B-schools should I apply for? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 09:12
Hey happycamper - thanks for the additional details. We'll try to respond to what you've laid out here.

happycamper wrote:
I feel my GMAT score of 770 is the most outstanding feature of my entire profile. Hence, I want to which among the top B-Schools generally give the most weight to GMAT scores? This will help in determining which ones to apply for.

All the bschools give weight to the GMAT. A high score can't guarantee you'll get in but a low score can keep you out. You have a ticket to play the game with this 770 but that is the gist of it. It does help you stand out against the crowded field of other Indian applicants so that's good.

If you're flexible and you really really really want to go to bschool, then the lower-ranked schools are most likely to respond favorably to a high GMAT because it helps them improve in their rankings when their average student stats go up. Those are the only "B-Schools which generally tends to give more priority than other schools on GMAT scores." Obviously that's not what you want us to be saying; you seem to be looking for someone to tell you that "School X (aka HBS or some other amazing place) is going to snap you up with this GMAT score!" Sorry, no can do. It's appropriate for you to be aiming for the top since you have done a nice job on the test, but it's the whole package that will dictate your outcomes. We can't suggest any specific schools based on GMAT alone. It's one small factor in the entire proposition; you can't isolate things like that, it's misguided.

happycamper wrote:
As far as the rest of my profile is concerned, I am presenting the overview below.

There's a lot that's standard in the profile but a lot looks distinctive too. This is the right year for you to be applying based on your age and work experience. It's good that you've got these promotions and you have some nice projects under your belt. This is what you need to be emphasizing in your apps; this is what matters to the adcoms. This is where you need to be mining your material and looking for evidence to show how you're qualified. How you do that and what you present depends in large part on what school we're talking about.

The career goals are really the best way to select your schools. Lots of schools have specializations in energy, just as an example; MIT, Wharton, UT-Austin, Duke are some that come to mind, if that's the field you are focused on. But your goals need more work as a first step.

happycamper wrote:
Instead of consulting, I want to move into a general management role in energy/ manufacturing sectors. Consulting for me, based on my 5 years experience in this field, is too sales and market driven. General management role, on the other hand, allows to contribute more effectively to the organization's growth. If roles in general management is hard to come by, my second preference will more mainstream consultancy like business performance improvement advisory instead of a niche consultancy like the one in which I am involved

"General Management" is not a career goal. Energy and manufacturing are two different industries. You can only present one career path for most schools; those schools that even ask about the goals these days don't give you hardly any space to talk about it and you won't have the luxury of presenting this either/or situation. It's good to have a backup plan but you need to lock down on a more specific, explicit path than this. It appears that you have the right building blocks and we can see how your current consulting background can be the right setup for a number of different post-MBA paths but you will have the easiest time getting an offer at a great bschool if you do more work on these goals; it's the main thing that many schools evaluate and it's really important.

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Re: Whic B-schools should I apply for?   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2013, 09:12