Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 00:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which area seems to be the most terrible one for u? ;) :)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which area seems to be the most terrible one for u?

You may select 1 option
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Which area seems to be the most terrible one for u? ;) :) [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2007, 01:19
Hi all,

I think It could be very interesting to know what are your black beasts in the Q section :)

That could help to determine some kind of trends.... Ideally, I would prefer to combine the area of troubles with our countries :D :).... It should reflect a kind of map that new people from each country could follow to see faster progresses :)

So... If u do reply, please give us where u come from :)

Thanks to all.... It could help ! :D :)

-----------------------------------------------------

First result (v1 - updated 2007/06/15)

Last edited by Fig on 19 Jun 2007, 06:38, edited 9 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2007, 01:33
So, I start with myself :)

Weak area : The probability/Counting
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2007, 09:26
Ratio and Proportions
Equations
Word Problems
Fractions
Probablity

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2007, 10:12
Functions are :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2007, 14:18

Problem Area: Probability/Counting

Well...and the rest, but this is the most problematic :wink:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2007, 16:52
Hi, I'm from the US...

My biggest black beast is probability & combinatorics...I'm hoping to get familiar with the basics so if I run into an "easy" one I can answer it...if I encounter an especially hairy beast on the exam, so far my plan is to cut my losses, take my best guess and move on...

It's slightly smaller brother would be number properties...especially the "if x is divisible by 3 and y is divisible by a prime number > 100, and z is second cousin of all primes < 72.234856384783478734 is z a multiple of x and y?" You get the picture...lol
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2007, 17:03

Problem Area: number properties (divisibiliy & remainder probs :twisted: pretty much the same as mavery's slightly smaller bothering)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2007, 20:11
My weakness is in probability/counting as well. If I do get a 700-800 problem on it on the exam I'm just going to guess and move on.....no point in wasting 3+ mins and still get it wrong!

I'm also pretty weak on the whole mean, medium, SD questions in numbers property
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Which area seem to be the most terrible one for u? ;) :) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2007, 06:07
Weak area :The absolute value, sqrt() and such functions

Fig wrote:
That could help to determine some kind of trends.... Ideally, I would prefer to combine the area of troubles with our countries :D :).... It should reflect a kind of map that new people from each country could follow to see faster progresses :)

So the plan is to turn this into something like an intuitive diagnostic test?...
Something that tells you what you need to work on without asking you to take a diagnostic test?
If it is, then it might be interesting to compare these results against what members are getting in diagnostic tests - Nationality-wise diagnostic test results of course :-D ... but this is easier said than done unless members were to post results of diagnostic tests too.

And maybe there could be some kind of a statistic that tells what is the probability of the problem area of a specific country being the problem area for an individual from that country. (eg) if 90 out of 100 Indian members find probability/Counting to be a problem area then the chance that probability/Counting is a weak area for me is 90%. - High enough for me to get concerned.
A high percentage like 90% might be indicative of something lacking in the preparation methods used.....

Hmm.... very interesting possibilities for what you have started Fig. :-D
Please keep us updated on the progrees. :read
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Which area seem to be the most terrible one for u? ;) :) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2007, 06:20
vikramjit_01 wrote:
Weak area :The absolute value, sqrt() and such functions

Fig wrote:

So the plan is to turn this into something like an intuitive diagnostic test?...
Something that tells you what you need to work on without asking you to take a diagnostic test?
If it is, then it might be interesting to compare these results against what members are getting in diagnostic tests - Nationality-wise diagnostic test results of course :-D ... but this is easier said than done unless members were to post results of diagnostic tests too.

And maybe there could be some kind of a statistic that tells what is the probability of the problem area of a specific country being the problem area for an individual from that country. (eg) if 90 out of 100 Indian members find probability/Counting to be a problem area then the chance that probability/Counting is a weak area for me is 90%. - High enough for me to get concerned.
A high percentage like 90% might be indicative of something lacking in the preparation methods used.....

Hmm.... very interesting possibilities for what you have started Fig. :P
Keep us updated on the progrees here.

Yes :)... My idea is an attempt to define generic profils by coutries :)... People could be of course near or far from their generic profil yet aware of it :)... They could so focus on Q question when they face them since the start and place a specific care on them :)

Also, I would like to create a wolrd map with colours on coutries :)... To give a more visual and instaneous idea of the whole thing :)

All depend of u, guys ! :)... Thanks already for the one who replied (andrehaui & Witchiegrlie, would u please edit your post to give us your country? thanks).

For all others, please help us here :D :)
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2007, 06:32

Problem: number properties [including but not limited to:]

- divisibiliy & remainder
- prime numbers and factors
- integers vs numbers vs fractions vs decimals ..
- Hard-Ass DS questions on number properties
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2007, 13:12
Fig, it sounds like you have a lot of free time on your hands...shouldn't you be studying for the gmat instead? lol
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2007, 14:03
mavery wrote:
Fig, it sounds like you have a lot of free time on your hands...shouldn't you be studying for the gmat instead? lol

Actually, I have finished all the process, including the GMAT, so no... I have the luck to be free now and to have time to spare on other things ;) :)

By the way, what is your weakness area & country pls? :)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2007, 08:00
Weak area: probability/Counting and word problems.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2007, 12:05

Weak Area: Number properties. That's my bigest fear. I pretty much got only number properties questions on my first attempt to take the GMAT. I am still pretty bad and I will take my second attempt on next week :roll: .

I am also weak in the set questions and combinations.

Seems that you go to HEC Paris next year Fig?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2007, 13:40
Irena A. wrote:

Weak Area: Number properties. That's my bigest fear. I pretty much got only number properties questions on my first attempt to take the GMAT. I am still pretty bad and I will take my second attempt on next week :roll: .

I am also weak in the set questions and combinations.

Seems that you go to HEC Paris next year Fig?

Welcome to the GMATClub ! :)

Yes... I will :).... Where do u plan to apply? :)

Good Luck to u ! :)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2007, 15:32
Thank you ! :)

Well.. actually, I spent my last year at the University of Oklahoma and I liked so much the business school that I want to apply there. The MBA program is very exciting. I also also apply to UCLA. The last step in my application process is the GMAT. I know that it is not the best strategy to follow and I should have started to study for that a long time ago. I took it on march 12th for the first time and I did bad (460, AWA 5.5, I didn't have a good strategy and studied only one month so I kind of knew it, however I was really surprised by my verbal score, which was the same as the quant, because I usually do very good on the verbal). Anyway, I am going to give it another try on next week since it would be my last chance to get a 600 and be accepted in fall 07. If not, I will just adopt a better strategy, take more time to get a good score and apply again for next year, maybe in France.
Congratulations on your admission at HEC! :wink:
How did you come to choose HEC ?
How long and how did you study for the GMAT?
And thank you for your involvement in the GMAT club :-D your posts are very helpful!
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2007, 00:47
Well... We are a bit out of the topic, but I will respond :)... For further information, feel free to PM me :)

Reading u, I must admit that I have a question for u. Do u have a work experience? I think that an MBA returns us a lot if we have some... So maybe, if u do not have a work experience, u should consider to postpone your application... Just my though, everyone knows what is the best for himself :)

Why HEC? U could have a look here : http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=41091 :)... To sum up, excellent school & collaborative MBA + personal convictions :)

How long for GMAT? From may to mid september, so a couple of months ;).... My trouble was the V section.... I had to improve it from a very low level to a decent one :)

Thanks also for your kind words :)... If it does help, I'm glad :)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2007, 18:50

Problem Areas: Probability
Certain Venn Diagram questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User