Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which B-Schools to apply

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Which B-Schools to apply [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 04:55
My Profile:

Name: Ashwin Kumar
Qualification:BE Computer Science
Nationality :Indian
Experience:3 years ( As on Aug 2008)
Industry: Software ( Telecom )
Company:MOTOROLA

[b]
GMAT:710 ( 49 :Q V:37, AWA:4.5)
GPA: Not sure ( Got 78%. Pls help me in converting that score to GPA )
MBA preference:1.General Management
2. Technology
Have received a professional achievement award.
Community Service: Have been an active Blood -Donor for the past two years.
Planning to volunteer for some social welfare activities as well.

My question:

With this profile would it be wise for me to apply for B-SCHOOLS ranking b/n 10 -20 like ROSS, YALE, UCLA, Duke, Texas- Austin, Emory, University of North Carolina- Kenen Flagler, Kelley.

It would be helpful if you could give me a rating out of 5 for each school.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1513 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Which B-Schools to apply [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 06:42
ashkum wrote:
My Profile:

Name: Ashwin Kumar
Qualification:BE Computer Science
Nationality :Indian
Experience:3 years ( As on Aug 2008)
Industry: Software ( Telecom )
Company:MOTOROLA

[b]
GMAT:710 ( 49 :Q V:37, AWA:4.5)
GPA: Not sure ( Got 78%. Pls help me in converting that score to GPA )
MBA preference:1.General Management
2. Technology
Have received a professional achievement award.
Community Service: Have been an active Blood -Donor for the past two years.
Planning to volunteer for some social welfare activities as well.

My question:

With this profile would it be wise for me to apply for B-SCHOOLS ranking b/n 10 -20 like ROSS, YALE, UCLA, Duke, Texas- Austin, Emory, University of North Carolina- Kenen Flagler, Kelley.

It would be helpful if you could give me a rating out of 5 for each school.

Maybe. I can't give you a rating out of 5 for each because it would be pulled out of my rear in the first place and second, it would lull you into a fall sense of security with some and a impending doom with others. No one can "rank" your odds other than to say "plausible" or "not".

For starters your profile is really brief - it tells me next to nothing about you, so its hard to say anyting of real consequence. Three years experience seems like a reasonable figure, your GMAT seems solid for all the schools, though not especially strong for your demographic. Your extracurricular activities leave a lot to be desired. "Giving blood" is not a community service activity. Thats maybe an hour a year of your time. Maybe two. Thats not going to cut it - not at Ross, UCLA, etc. Think deeper about your experiences and remember that community service doesnt mean it has to be about helping the poor, or sick, or weak, or old.... redefine your understanding of community service and just call it "Extracurricular activities".... this includes things like playing soccer on a team, learning to sail, volunteering at your local church, building a website for a non profit, hiking in the mountains on a regular basis, taking cooking classes, travel, etc. Virtually anything... So think deeper.

Another thing... "planning to" indicates you will do it in the future. Don't wait to. Just do it now. It's already late -- but waiting to do it is just foolish. As it is it wont come across as something you've been doing for years - so the sooner you start the better.

If you can be a bit more specific about your profile I can give you some more hints, but this is pretty sparse stuff.

For an example of a more detailed profile see:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=47988

or

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=48308
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 07:03
ashkum,

A lot of people do a poor job of marketing their profile. People with great backgrounds and experiences get dinged at schools because they failed to effectively present who they are.

Based on what you wrote, I do not know how good your profile really is, but unless you spend time(this applies to your app also), you are more likely than not get a disappointing response.

When I sought my profile eval on this site, I did a poor job of representing my candidacy and I was pretty much told that any school above UNC will probably be a long shot. Couple of months later, I came up with a much more detailed and introspective pen picture of who I am. The same evaluators now tell me that I have a good shot at some of the ultra elite schools.

Bottom line, unless you spend time and effort on what you write, you are likely to stir little to no interest with the adcoms.

I dont mean to pick on you and mean no offense. I hope you take this in the right spirit.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 08:57
rhyme, I clicked on one of the two links you put there, and boom, *my* profile popped up! thanks for the link man! :-D

Anyway, I fully agree, especially after reading post after post after post here on the forum and seeing who gets in and who doesn't. It's all about selling yourself and weaving a complete story. There are many posts around that will help you with crafting your application, but you gotta spend time sitting down every day just brainstorming for a few minutes to a few hours. If you give yourself 2-3 months to brainstorm, draft, and refine, you should have a good shot at many of the elite schools (and maybe even ultra-elites!)

My profile started out with "not much chance" at the ultra-elites, and even just brainstorming while studying for the GMAT (gotta take my mind off that test somehow, right? :P ), my simple GMAT Forum profile got more complicated and more detailed, and a story outline began to form in my head (with rhyme and others' help of course).

Give that a try and hopefully it'll give you a leg up in the app process!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1513 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 09:24
kryzak wrote:
rhyme, I clicked on one of the two links you put there, and boom, *my* profile popped up! thanks for the link man! :-D

Anyway, I fully agree, especially after reading post after post after post here on the forum and seeing who gets in and who doesn't. It's all about selling yourself and weaving a complete story. There are many posts around that will help you with crafting your application, but you gotta spend time sitting down every day just brainstorming for a few minutes to a few hours. If you give yourself 2-3 months to brainstorm, draft, and refine, you should have a good shot at many of the elite schools (and maybe even ultra-elites!)

My profile started out with "not much chance" at the ultra-elites, and even just brainstorming while studying for the GMAT (gotta take my mind off that test somehow, right? :P ), my simple GMAT Forum profile got more complicated and more detailed, and a story outline began to form in my head (with rhyme and others' help of course).

Give that a try and hopefully it'll give you a leg up in the app process!

This is very very true.

When I first posted my profile, I presented an unpolished unsure picture of myself. Paul Bodine said something along the lines of "Georgetown would be a good shot for you" ... a few months later I posted my profile again, completely revamped - same person - just different "branding". That time, Paul actually suggested I had a shot at Harvard and that "Kellogg and Chicago" were imminently doable.

Just goes to show you how much BRANDING YOURSELF the right way can make such a different impression.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 22:19
Thanks to one and all for your useful feedback. I will surely work on refining my profile.
  [#permalink] 23 Jul 2007, 22:19