Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 00:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which book to consider for the GMAT prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

Which book to consider for the GMAT prep [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 01:41
Hi,

I have around 40 days left for GMAT exam and I am reading from these books

1: OG 10
2: OG 12
3: Manhattan SC
4: Princeton review 2009 edition

Do I need any other book. It may sound wierd but I don't have enough money to buy some other book and at the same time I am worried if these books are not sufficient. I have already spent so much money to get these books and register for exam which is beyond my limits.

Please suggest me if these books are not sufficient to touch 700. Your suggestion and help would be highly appreciated.

I don't want kudos.. I want to see smile on your face if I am able to help you.. which is priceless.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 472 [1] , given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Which book to consider for the GMAT prep [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 02:48
This post received
KUDOS
zerotoinfinite2006 wrote:
Hussain15 wrote:
I normally avoid recommending Kaplan as I have not used this book. But as you have not enough time to prepare & you need a 700 score, I would recommend Kaplan Premier. This is a all in one book & you can get maximum benefit while doing all the stuff from a single source.

Your existing material is not sufficient in my opinion, ( but this depends on your current CAT performance). What are your latest CAT scores or have you not tried them yet??

Check this link out for more detailed review of GMAT books
best-gmat-books-77703.html

Let us know if we can be of any help. Best of luck!!!

Thanks for yoyr response and assistance.

I haven't tried CAT yet. Where can I attemp it?
Also, please guide me which section is not correctly covered in the above books. I am from Math background and I found OG question quite easier to solve. But I consider myself very weak in SC and RC, as I am not a native english speaker.

Do I need to try more math question or OG reflect the complexity of the real GMAT question?

Which book will be the best for verbal practice? I can grab the used Kaplan book. Is it useful? Should I buy it?

I think you are in an initial stage of your preparation & you need to know all aspects of an effective gmat strategy. Check this link out
gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

I wonder how will you do in your actual test in 40 days time as you have to tackle RC & CR alongwith advanced Q concepts. Also you have to take & evaluate CATs. :roll:

Golden Advice: Take a diagnostic test. You can take one free from MGMAT
http://www.manhattangmat.com/free-gmat.cfm
Depending on your result, you can decide to defer your test.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 157

Re: Which book to consider for the GMAT prep [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 02:18
I normally avoid recommending Kaplan as I have not used this book. But as you have not enough time to prepare & you need a 700 score, I would recommend Kaplan Premier. This is a all in one book & you can get maximum benefit while doing all the stuff from a single source.

Your existing material is not sufficient in my opinion, ( but this depends on your current CAT performance). What are your latest CAT scores or have you not tried them yet??

[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 922 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Which book to consider for the GMAT prep [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 02:28
Your books should target the questions types in which you are weak.

Check your statistics of the CAT and then select the books accordingly.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager

Re: Which book to consider for the GMAT prep [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 02:30
Hussain15 wrote:

Thanks for yoyr response and assistance.

I haven't tried CAT yet. Where can I attemp it?
Also, please guide me which section is not correctly covered in the above books. I am from Math background and I found OG question quite easier to solve. But I consider myself very weak in SC and RC, as I am not a native english speaker.

Do I need to try more math question or OG reflect the complexity of the real GMAT question?

Which book will be the best for verbal practice? I can grab the used Kaplan book. Is it useful? Should I buy it?

I don't want kudos.. I want to see smile on your face if I am able to help you.. which is priceless.

Manager
Manager

Re: Which book to consider for the GMAT prep [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 02:33
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Your books should target the questions types in which you are weak.

Check your statistics of the CAT and then select the books accordingly.

Hi Gurpreet,

Thanks for your help.
Please let me know where I can attemp test and other test which I have to attemp for preparing GMAT.
I thought I have to go for test like on gmat.com 10-15 days before my exam.

Please help.
Thanks

Manager
Manager

Re: Which book to consider for the GMAT prep [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 02:52
I am soon going to update this thread with my CAT and Manhattan test score. Then I'll need your advice how to proceed and which book to consider. I hope I'll get the required help from this forum because I am too much worried now. :cry:

Thanks a lot for your advice. :)
+1 kudos

Retired Moderator

Re: Which book to consider for the GMAT prep [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 03:01
I am soon going to update this thread with my CAT and Manhattan test score. Then I'll need your advice how to proceed and which book to consider. I hope I'll get the required help from this forum because I am too much worried now. :cry:

Thanks a lot for your advice. :)
+1 kudos

We will be waiting for your update. This forum will help you in every bit of capacity to tackle this gmat beast. If you get some low score on your free CAT, dont get disappointed. (I got 470 in my MGMAT free test, a year ago). Who knows a gmat attempt after two months will get you your dream score. This forum has all one thinks of.

Best of luck & keep us posted. :)

I Can, I Will

Retired Moderator
Followers: 105

Kudos [?]: 216 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Which book to consider for the GMAT prep [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 11:49
Manager
Manager

Re: Which book to consider for the GMAT prep [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 03:47
I have appeared for MGMAT and here is my score

Q - 36 and
V - 16.

I didn't updated earlier because I thought that this is not a good score. Even I have no idea what is the highest score I can get in Quant or Verbal. or the complexity level of MGMAT exam. Please let me know whether my quant score is good if I am aming for 620+.

Can someone please give me the list of FREE well recognized GMAT online test on internet, like MGMAT? :help2

I am really depressed with my score. :die

Retired Moderator

Re: Which book to consider for the GMAT prep [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 04:07
I have appeared for MGMAT and here is my score

Q - 36 and
V - 16.

I didn't updated earlier because I thought that this is not a good score. Even I have no idea what is the highest score I can get in Quant or Verbal. or the complexity level of MGMAT exam. Please let me know whether my quant score is good if I am aming for 620+.

Can someone please give me the list of FREE well recognized GMAT online test on internet, like MGMAT? :help2

I am really depressed with my score. :die

Sorry to hear about your score. I think you need to work very hard if you want to sit for GMAT as per your schedule date.

You will find some free resources if you google, but dont ever rely on that free stuff. :(

In order to get a 620 with your current Q score, you need a high verbal score. In my opinion you need to go for a new strategy. Best of luck & keep us posted.

I Can, I Will

Re: Which book to consider for the GMAT prep   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2010, 04:07