Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which business school should I apply?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Which business school should I apply? [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 13:59
Hi all,

I am a first time poster.
My brother got in Stanford MBA program and has been encourging me to try and MBA program as well, I've been thingking about it and decided to go for it.
I already selected a GMAT complete course from Manhatan GMAT and will dedicated my next few months on getting the 700+ score.

So I've decided to apply for 6 or 7 schools (aprox 3. tops and 3 or 4 "regulars"), and see how it goes.

The schools I am currently considering are Stanford (visited loved it), Berkeley (feel like the environment could be similar of stanford because of the proximity), USC (have a friend with a smiliar background that did the MBA program there and recommended it) and Worthon (just because is a TOP school). Do not see myself as a Harvard person, feel like is too up tight.

Not sure if these picks make sense, it would be good to hear from someone more expert. Also I would like to have more 3 or 4 options. SO I could really use some help, advice, suggestions, comments...

Here's a brief summary of my profile:

White female
Brazilian
I am currently 24, will be 26 years old when matriculating.
Graduated in Brazil in Production Engineering GPA 3.2*.
While in school, worked as an intern at Dell computers, on database marketing, CRM for 6 months and Pricing for another 8 months, developing manly my analytical skills, and data programing, also better undestanding the eletronic industriy. After that, I spent 1 year and a half working in master planning area of Midea Carrier, ar conditioning huge company, there I was responsible for metrics, tool developement and reports to help long term production plans. Also developed and implemented a Inventory Flow tool that was responsible for inventory projections and all main aligments between sales production and financial areas. Currently I am working as a strategic marketing analyst for a semi-conductor pioneer company in green field for Brazil Market.

* According to http://www.foreigncredits.com/Resources ... tor/Brazil

Thanks in advance!

Rafa
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 30

Re: Which business school should I apply? [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 16:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rafarafa wrote:
Hi all,

My brother got in Stanford MBA program and has been encourging me to try and MBA program as well, I've been thingking about it and decided to go for it.
I already selected a GMAT complete course from Manhatan GMAT and will dedicated my next few months on getting the 700+ score.

So I've decided to apply for 6 or 7 schools (aprox 3. tops and 3 or 4 "regulars"), and see how it goes.

The schools I am currently considering are Stanford (visited loved it), Berkeley (feel like the environment could be similar of stanford because of the proximity), USC (have a friend with a smiliar background that did the MBA program there and recommended it) and Worthon (just because is a TOP school). Do not see myself as a Harvard person, feel like is too up tight.

Not sure if these picks make sense, it would be good to hear from someone more expert. Also I would like to have more 3 or 4 options. SO I could really use some help, advice, suggestions, comments...

White female
Brazilian
While in school, worked as an intern at Dell computers, on database marketing, CRM for 6 months and Pricing for another 8 months, developing manly my analytical skills, and data programing, also better undestanding the eletronic industriy. After that, I spent 1 year and a half working in master planning area of Midea Carrier, ar conditioning huge company, there I was responsible for metrics, tool developement and reports to help long term production plans. Also developed and implemented a Inventory Flow tool that was responsible for inventory projections and all main aligments between sales production and financial areas. Currently I am working as a strategic marketing analyst for a semi-conductor pioneer company in green field for Brazil Market.

Thanks in advance!

Rafa

Well, first of all Rafa,
Having your bro there helps , fo sho!
the first thing I'd say though is watch out for those typos on your application!

All right all right, I'm just teasing. So first of all, your work experience seems quite good, but it's not entirely clear to me exactly what you are doing in each post and how long you are staying. What are your greatest achievements? How many of these moves are promotions? any leadership??

My next set of questions is about school: WHICH university did you attend? Did you do anything else besides study? (I mean ECs??) What baout volunteer work?

Finally, what are your GOALS? WHY do you want to go to Stanford???

And then finally finally.... :) It's really really hard to evaluate without a GMAT, so maybe think about that before you decide on your schools.

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 88 [1] , given: 6

Re: Which business school should I apply? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 05:15
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

You have got a good profile. It is very difficult to suggest the schools without GMAT score.

However if you have given the mock tests, you will get a rough idea of the possible score and with that you can do a rough shortlist of B-Schools. Hope this helps http://goo.gl/TqFWKY

Cheers!!

Neha

rafarafa wrote:
Hi all,

White female
Brazilian

Thanks in advance!

Rafa

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: Which business school should I apply? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 08:13
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Rafa,

I echo Neha and Jon. Sounds like you are in the very early stages of deciding to pursue an MBA. A lot of research needs to be done! You need to look at each school and find out which one would be the best fit for you (not just because of its ranking or prestige). So what are they strong in? Such as Kellogg is known for Marketing so could be a good choice if you see your future career in Marketing. Also, are you just interested in US schools? You might want to consider other international top schools such as LBS or INSEAD if you are interested in an international career (there are a lot of Brazilians at INSEAD!).

It's hard to know which school can be the right fit but start talking to alumni or current students, join the schools blogs and twitter feeds, sign up for their news updates, start visiting campuses (if possible) or attend information sessions in the city you reside. Lots of schools come to you! Check out their websites to see their 'touring' schedule.

So I would start with this by doing research, research, research to get a sense which school is the best fit for you and aligns with your post-MBA employment plans.

If you want to talk, I'm all ears. At Fortuna, we know all the top schools very well and we can walk you through this decision-making process if you wish.

Good luck!

-Melissa and the Fortuna Admissions Team

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website www.fortunadmissions.com.

Re: Which business school should I apply?   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2014, 08:13