Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which business schools require TOEFL/IELTS/etc. mandatorily?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: S3 Asia MBA (Fudan University, Korea University, National University of Singapore)
WE 1: Market Research
WE 2: Consulting
WE 3: Iron & Steel Retail/Trading
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Which business schools require TOEFL/IELTS/etc. mandatorily? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 10:22
For applicants whose first/native language isn't English, most of the business schools seem to be saying this - "While we want TOEFL/IELTS score to review your English proficiency, if the medium of instruction at your undergraduate school was English, then you're not required to submit TOEFL/IELTS score".

Which top-tier business schools in the US, Europe and Asia *do not* follow the above, and *mandatorily require* submission of TOEFL/IELTS score, even if an applicant (which first/native language is *not* English) did undergraduation at a school with English as the medium of instruction?

Labor Omnia Vincit (Hard Work Conquers All)
My practice and final scores | My GMAT Club profile
My blog | My Google profile | My LinkedIn profile | Me on Twitter

Last edited by rishabhsingla on 05 Oct 2010, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT LGO (Admitted), Harvard (Admitted))
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which business schools require TOEFL/IELTS/etc. mandatorily? [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 12:46
To my knowledge, that is a standard that is honored across the country. As long as your classes are conducted primarily in English, you do not need to take those tests

Dream the impossible and do the incredible.

Live. Love. Laugh.

Manager
Manager
Schools: S3 Asia MBA (Fudan University, Korea University, National University of Singapore)
WE 1: Market Research
WE 2: Consulting
WE 3: Iron & Steel Retail/Trading
Followers: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: Which business schools require TOEFL/IELTS/etc. mandatorily? [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 04:07
Ok thanks!

Labor Omnia Vincit (Hard Work Conquers All)
My practice and final scores | My GMAT Club profile
My blog | My Google profile | My LinkedIn profile | Me on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Which business schools require TOEFL/IELTS/etc. mandatorily? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 16:30
Hello,

My undergraduate education was from a university in India. All my classes were conducted in English, so TOEFL is waived for me at most institutions.
My questions is does anybody know if I have to give documented evidence of the classes being conducted in English. If yes, should I get a letter from my undergraduate university stating the same or is there some other way out.
How have other Indian applicants handled the TOEFL waiver.

Thanks a lot for your help.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 924 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Which business schools require TOEFL/IELTS/etc. mandatorily? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 16:35
good question.

English medium is used almost in every college of India. It will be good to know whether we need to submit any proof of the medium?

I would like to repeat the Rishabh's question - Do we still have to give TOEFL or IELTS even if the medium was English for Non-native applications? Is there any exception?

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 336

Kudos [?]: 1361 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Which business schools require TOEFL/IELTS/etc. mandatorily? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 17:56
I really think it depends on the school you're applying to. Most schools do waive the requirement if you're studying in a college that's accredited to be in English. There was a section on HBS's website that clearly demarcated these guidelines, but I am unable to find a link. But "English speaking" is not the same as "medium of instruction is English."

Depending on context, English speaking might mean a university in an English speaking country, in which case, Indian universities will not qualify. I suggest writing to the specific university you are applying to, in order to clarify.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 924 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Which business schools require TOEFL/IELTS/etc. mandatorily? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 20:59
whiplash2411 wrote:
I really think it depends on the school you're applying to. Most schools do waive the requirement if you're studying in a college that's accredited to be in English. There was a section on HBS's website that clearly demarcated these guidelines, but I am unable to find a link. But "English speaking" is not the same as "medium of instruction is English."

Depending on context, English speaking might mean a university in an English speaking country, in which case, Indian universities will not qualify. I suggest writing to the specific university you are applying to, in order to clarify.

I actually meant to say "medium of instruction is English."

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Re: Which business schools require TOEFL/IELTS/etc. mandatorily?   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2010, 20:59