Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 17:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which class for acct PhD?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Which class for acct PhD? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 22:04
Hey! I'm new to this board and am hoping to find some guidance here.

I majored in Acct and minored in math. Then I got my Macc degree. I'm on my way to become a CPA (2 more tests to go). I want to apply for Acct Phd programs for 2011. I get to take one free class every semester at my alma mater. I have several options:

1. Take some econ classes (I only took an intro class for econ).
2. Take an accounting research class, if it's available.
3. Take three more math classes and get my degree in math.

I realize I can take several classes over the course of a school year, but I can't do all of them because of (a) the money; (b) my job.
Which ones do you think will be better for my application?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: Which class for acct PhD? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 07:47
Calculus (and linear algebra, including econometrics, for empirical research) is the cornerstone of whatever work you'd do in an Accounting PhD program, and stuff like microeconomics and game theory is essential for analytical research (many people call that "theory stuff"). Of course an accounting research course can be great but you won't get as much from it if you lack some of the econ foundations behind the papers, whatever the subfield is.

As for a BA in Math -- my guess is the actual courses taken may be more important than the degree, but I don't know.

So basically, in that order: (1) you need a strong foundation in calculus and optimization (Lagrange and so on), (2) you want good prior exposure to microeconomics, econometrics and maybe game theory, preferably at the graduate level (or advanced undergrad courses), and (3) some prior exposure to accounting research is a plus. You may have (1) from your math courses so far, you basically said you don't have (2), so (3) can wait a bit.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Which class for acct PhD? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 19:03
Thank you so much! I have decided to take an Econmetrics class.
Re: Which class for acct PhD?   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2010, 19:03