Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 07:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which courses would help before joining an MBA school ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Which courses would help before joining an MBA school ? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2006, 20:54
During the free time a student has before joining a MBA school, which courses(or activity) he/she should take that would help in terms of -
1. Supplementing his/her skills in performing better at school
2. Prospective employers would look for.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2006, 19:06
That depends entirely on 1) what your academic and professional background is and 2) what career you're shooting for (and again, your professional experience). There is no one generic answer that fits all.

Personally, I would travel to places I'd always wanted to go. The core courses in b-school aren't overly exciting so I'd go do something fun beforehand, not load up on more academics.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Here are the details - [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 08:26
Thanks for your feedback.

I have an engineering degree in computers from a college in India and have been working as a consultant in IT field for 8 years. I am shooting for a MBA degree in either general consulting or in IT field.

For example, having studied in India, we don't learn a foreign language which could be a downside (not always, but could) when compared to applicants from the US who would know English plus Spanish/French or anyother language. This is a very general example.

Wanted to get an idea from actual MBA students/graduates of what they think they could/should have done to fare better or that would have helped them.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 17:19
You are right- a foreign language could be something both useful and fun.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 20:33
Duk- As for your comment about Americans studying foreign language in school (high school and college), please do not have the wrong impression. In truth, most students take a year of Spanish in high school, and two years in college, however it`s more like a required ABCs course, emphasizing elementary sentence constructions, which most students forget a year or two out of school. The fact is, (I myself was a linguistics double major) less than 10% of native born Americans ever actually gain "coversional" proficiency in any foreign language. Please do not be misinformed because, unlike our European counterparts, the vast majority of American are indeed monolingual.

You, on the other hand probably speak Hindi as your native tongue and clearly have a superior command of English. IMHO, further refining your English skills alone will make you stand out from other classmates this fall.

Hope this helps.
  [#permalink] 27 Jan 2006, 20:33