Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which Diagnostic Test to Start With?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Booth
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Which Diagnostic Test to Start With? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 17:55
Hey,

I'm just beginning to study from the GMAT and purchased the Kaplan Premier book and the OG. Both of them have diagnostic tests. Does it matter which one I do? Does anyone have a suggestion with which one to start with?

I was thinking of doing the Kaplan one first and then studying from the Kaplan book. Once I felt comfortable I would move onto the OG and start with the Diagnostic test there to see where I'm at again.

My question is probably pretty trivial, but I don't want to waste any test type materials that help predict where I stand with the GMAT at different points in time.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 8

Re: Which Diagnostic Test to Start With? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 19:23
This post received
KUDOS
g00mbs wrote:
Hey,

I'm just beginning to study from the GMAT and purchased the Kaplan Premier book and the OG. Both of them have diagnostic tests. Does it matter which one I do? Does anyone have a suggestion with which one to start with?

I was thinking of doing the Kaplan one first and then studying from the Kaplan book. Once I felt comfortable I would move onto the OG and start with the Diagnostic test there to see where I'm at again.

My question is probably pretty trivial, but I don't want to waste any test type materials that help predict where I stand with the GMAT at different points in time.

Thanks!

best way to assess your current level is to take a gmat prep test once.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 12

Re: Which Diagnostic Test to Start With? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 19:31
Quote:

I would disagree with that since there are only 2 official tests. better to save them for when you are close to the test date.
Your diagnostic's main purpose should be to determine which areas you need to focus on most. i think mgmat's free cat achieves that purpose because it breaks down the types of questions you're getting wrong.
I've never taken kaplan but i hear it's a lot more difficult than the actual gmat and can be very misleading, so i'd stay away.
Intern
Intern

Re: Which Diagnostic Test to Start With? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 20:22
bipolarbear wrote:
Quote:

I would disagree with that since there are only 2 official tests. better to save them for when you are close to the test date.
Your diagnostic's main purpose should be to determine which areas you need to focus on most. i think mgmat's free cat achieves that purpose because it breaks down the types of questions you're getting wrong.
I've never taken kaplan but i hear it's a lot more difficult than the actual gmat and can be very misleading, so i'd stay away.

Do I have to purchase a mgmat book? Or are you talking about this test: http://www.manhattangmat.com/free-gmat.cfm ?

The diagnostic tests I'm talking about are:
OG - is a paper test at the start of the guide.
Kaplan - is an online diagnostic (I have the 2010 edition). This edition comes with 6 full length practice tests online, but I don't think the diagnostic test is one of them (I could be wrong...).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 12

Re: Which Diagnostic Test to Start With? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 21:05
Yeah, it's the link you're referring to. You'll more than likely purchase MGMAT SC at some point, but for now do the free diagnostic. Their quant is pretty tough so be prepared...
Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 15

Re: Which Diagnostic Test to Start With? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 21:45
out of the two paper tests in kaplan and OG , OG will give a better pic of where you are

Or if you want it online take Kaplan free test or Princeton

save the gmatprep and mgmat for the last they are like near to actual gmat
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9437 [1] , given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Which Diagnostic Test to Start With? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 21:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Usually GMATPrep is the best to start with as it gives you the exact GMAT score - most agree that "burning" one of the 2 GMATPrep tests is a good use of the test. Many are able to re-take the same test at the end of their prep and not encounter any repeat questions. See this post for a bit more info: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Which Diagnostic Test to Start With? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2009, 15:22
So basically there is no easy decision here. :?

Does the gmat prep give you a breakdown of what kinds of questions you got wrong?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9437 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Which Diagnostic Test to Start With? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2009, 15:44
Expert's post
g00mbs wrote:
So basically there is no easy decision here. :?

Does the gmat prep give you a breakdown of what kinds of questions you got wrong?

No - that's one of the weaknesses of GMATPrep, but this is irrelevant if you are just starting out - you will get a little bit of everything wrong and you can count yourself how many CR's, SC's, and RC's you will get wrong.

The advantage of GMATPrep - it gives your real GMAT Score.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 4

Re: Which Diagnostic Test to Start With? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 06:32
You can download Barrons or Cambridge ET prep plus and start with it..but i think OG test gives a fair picture
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 8

Re: Which Diagnostic Test to Start With? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 12:11
sanoasis wrote:
You can download Barrons or Cambridge ET prep plus and start with it..but i think OG test gives a fair picture

Hi

My friend took MGMAT sample and scored only 43 in quants ( screwed around 19 questions out of 37), but he got 48 in GMAT prep. Is MGMAT's quants are tough, do they reflect actual GMAT
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 415 [0], given: 56

Re: Which Diagnostic Test to Start With? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 12:20
alwynjoseph wrote:
sanoasis wrote:

Hi

My friend took MGMAT sample and scored only 43 in quants ( screwed around 19 questions out of 37), but he got 48 in GMAT prep. Is MGMAT's quants are tough, do they reflect actual GMAT

I agree, MGMAT quants are very tough as compared to GMATPrep

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 6

Re: Which Diagnostic Test to Start With? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 12:30
In my opinion you should just use a GMAT Prep. Just don't review anything. If your prep time is going to be long, you won't remember the questions at the end of your prep when you take the GMAT Prep tests for real. Also, if you improve over your prep, you will not see the same questions.
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Which Diagnostic Test to Start With? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 13:03
topher wrote:
In my opinion you should just use a GMAT Prep. Just don't review anything. If your prep time is going to be long, you won't remember the questions at the end of your prep when you take the GMAT Prep tests for real. Also, if you improve over your prep, you will not see the same questions.

Exactly what I was going to say. If you get a repeat question - who cares, if you've improved maybe you'll get it right and if you get it wrong a second time, you can review it and know that you're really bad at those types of questions.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 8

Re: Which Diagnostic Test to Start With? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 19:24
This post received
KUDOS
highhopes wrote:
topher wrote:

Exactly what I was going to say. If you get a repeat question - who cares, if you've improved maybe you'll get it right and if you get it wrong a second time, you can review it and know that you're really bad at those types of questions.

Hi

Any one have any idea on teh crack GMAT free test. is it a CAT, what is the difficulty level compared to GMAT Prep.
I am completing my maths study and planning to start verbal preparation

fopllowing are my quants score

MGMAT 46
Crack gmat 40
GMAT club test , got 25 questions correct out of 37
GMAT Prep 48.

Please advise shall i move. my areas of weaknesss is inequality in specific where my mistakes are careless ones & combinations.
Re: Which Diagnostic Test to Start With?   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2009, 19:24