Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 18:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which (if any) Second Round Schools to Add

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Which (if any) Second Round Schools to Add [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 14:51

White male
GMAT: 740 (Q48, V44) AWA: 5.5
GPA: 3.09 top 30 school (Psych major, Entrepreneurial Leadership minor)
Work Experience: 4 years at two different health economic consulting firms. Promotions at both. I’ve published in business and scientific journals. Just designed and taught a workshop in Paris to about 350 people
Post MBA: Pharma company

Extracurricular:
College:
4 years varsity cross country, indoor track and outdoor track
Volunteered for the school depression/self help/suicide hotline
Post School:
4 years with the Big Brothers program. The first two years I spent as an active big brother but my "little" has since moved away. I am now on the Big Brothers young professionals’ board and chair the new membership committee.
Have a relationship with a local high school where students email me projects and I send them out to friends who review the work. I also am a grant judge at the school

Round 1 School:

Kellogg: I think I put together a pretty good application. Made a good connection with a professor. Interview was so so at best.
Berkeley: Prob my best essays but a little short on the personal connections
Duke: Going to submit tomorrow. Essays feel good. Interview went well. Really loved the school.
Darden: Felt the essays were a bit constricting but came out well. Made a very strong connection with a professor (planning research together regardless if I go or not)

So, I want to put one or two more applications in. Kellogg feels like a long shot at this point. Berkeley a bit less. Feel that Duke could go either way and feel good about Darden

Round 2:

Sorta lost here. I don't think I need a lower safety net but please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd like to take another shot at a top 10 school but I don't know where my limit is. I am thinking of applying to two of:

Wharton (healthcare)
Columbia (healthcare)
Ross (unlike the top two, may actually get in)
Stern (no reason, prob a good sign not to)
UNC (don't want to but anyone think I need it?)
UCLA (may get in but I'd go to Duke over UCLA)

Literally any feedback would be great. I'm very thick skinned so feel free to tell me I need to add 8 more safeties.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Which (if any) Second Round Schools to Add [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 20:16
of your potential R2 schools, i'd say wharton should be the only one you need to apply to. they're pretty well known as a player in the HC industry, more so than columbia IMO. your age and GMAT score are right up there (although your GPA is a little low, but i think that can be overcome with a solid app).

you provided reasons as to why you shouldn't apply to the other schools on your list... IMO it would be a waste to apply to schools "just because".

GMAT Debrief

Current Student
Schools: R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Which (if any) Second Round Schools to Add [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 07:19
Thanks Shadow. I know it will be an uphill battle but I'll prob kick myself if I don't take a shot at it.
Re: Which (if any) Second Round Schools to Add   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2009, 07:19