Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which job is more valuable on MBA app?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Which job is more valuable on MBA app? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 16:37
Hi folks

I'm interviewing for several jobs and wanted to get your ideas on what to look for in these opportunities. The idea is to get a job that affords me the best opportunity (best stories to tell and experiences to add) to apply for business school next year.

My background: Engineering undergrad, worked 2 years in MC
Ideal schools: Stanford, Haas, MIT

Options
1. VC, focusing on high impact and high employment businesses - not tech focused. Probably working as an analyst doing due diligences
2. Small Digital media firm, working in brand and product strategy and planning
3. Large national retail chain, working in consumer insights

Some brief thoughts:
I've got a fairly solid quant background so I don't see how the retail thing would really add much. VC is a typical "hot" industry, I guess just like MC. But having done MC, is there any significant value in going to VC before MBA? I don't particularly want to go into hardcore finance or investing in the future. And then there's the oddball, digital media, I like the vibe of the place but the opportunity could be great but I think it might be either a bit too left field.

Let me know what you think and if there's another way to look at this.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Re: Which job is more valuable on MBA app? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 01:00
Business schools do not give a lot of weightage to the job you have done.The brand value of your company is considered sometimes, but nothing is more important than leadership experience. If you switch jobs now and apply for business schools next year, you wont have any leadership experience from the job. So try to get a job which can help you get a quick promotion or work on projects involving big companies. As all your target business schools belong to the top 10 list, you need to have a great profile to support whichever job you take. If you can decide on a post-mba goal, then doing a job in the same field will be beneficial. Start working on your application for next year. Get your application reviewed by alumni of your target schools. Go through the following tips for MIT Sloan application given by a management consultant : http://www.interviewbay.com/interview_t ... w-tips.php

Good Luck!
http://www.interviewbay.com
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Which job is more valuable on MBA app? [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 00:09
i think management course will open a wide range of career opportunities...
Re: Which job is more valuable on MBA app?   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2014, 00:09