Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 22:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which major to pick

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kelley
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Which major to pick [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 06:56
GMAT 680, applied to only one school - Kelley PT (because employer pays 100% tuition), accepted.
Deep IT background (15 years now).

Now the question - I have three choices for majoring : Supply Management, Stategic Management or Finance.

I will be 41 when I graduate. If I pick Finance, do I have a good shot at a career switch this late? Any other inputs on making the choice welcome...
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Which major to pick [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 18:17
from what i've read, changing careers out of a part time gig is going to be extremely tough, especially given your age. i'd try to focus on one of the other 2 concentrations.

out of curiosity, what part of finance were you hoping to break into? i'd imagine with your expertise, adding an MBA would make you a good bet for a consulting gig as opposed to a finance one. in that case, maybe the strategic management concentration might make more sense. just my thoughts though

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 5

Re: Which major to pick [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 09:03
strategic mgmt would be ideal for your profile imo.

i don't see why you'd even want to get into finance with the type of high stress lifestyle they have. i certainly don't want to be working 90 hr weeks in my 40's. the pay really isn't worth it at that point.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

Re: Which major to pick   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2010, 09:03