Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 22:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of me following best completes the passage below?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 20

Which of me following best completes the passage below? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 22:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

58% (02:31) correct 42% (01:39) wrong based on 65 sessions
Which of me following best completes the passage below?
Adding ethanol to the gasoline used in cars reduces exhaust emissions while slightly increasing evaporation from gasoline tanks in cars and service stations. These evaporative emissions are a major component of the smog found in many large cities in the hot summer months but, except in hot weather, evaporative emissions pose less of a pollution problem than exhaust emissions do. Therefore, if air pollution were the only consideration, one could conclude that -----.
(A) ethanol should be added only to gasoline intended for use in large cities
(B) the benefits of using gasoline to which ethanol has been added are greater in hot weather than in cold weather
(C) the disadvantages of adding ethanol to gasoline are likely to be outweighed by the advantages, at least in cold weather
(D) it is not necessary to work at reducing exhaust emissions in large cities
(E) adding ethanol to the gasoline used in large cities will improve air quality in the cities in hot weather

I always get these kind of questions wrong. :cry: Is there any way I can improve on these kind of questions?
Please suggest.
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 712 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: gasoline used in cars [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 05:34
I think it is E.

Reasoning:
Adding ethanol reduces the exhaust emission but slightly more evaporation, which is a major component of smog in large cities in hot summers. Then at the end the passge it concluded by saying "if air pollution were the only consideration".
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: gasoline used in cars [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 12:05
IMO C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: gasoline used in cars [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 07:36
Adding ethanol to the gasoline used in cars reduces exhaust emissions while slightly increasing evaporation from gasoline tanks in cars and service stations. These evaporative emissions are a major component of the smog found in many large cities in the hot summer months but, except in hot weather, evaporative emissions pose less of a pollution problem than exhaust emissions do. Therefore, if air pollution were the only consideration, one could conclude that.........(C) the disadvantages of adding ethanol to gasoline are likely to be outweighed by the advantages, at least in cold weather

E not because the premise states that adding ethanol contributes to smog, worse in hot conditions.

rohitgoel15: I am not great at CR, but I could suggest Powerscore CR bible. It has some good features and helps you establish directions for most CR questions.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: gasoline used in cars [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 19:08
Adding ethanol ==> reduces exhaust emission and increases evaporative emission

evaporative emission ==> major component of smog found in large cities in hot summer months

evaporative emission ==> reduces air pollution compared to exhaust emission

If air pollution is only consideration....

(A) ethanol shoud be added only to gasoline for use in large cities ==> will not help in air pollution

(B) benefits of using gasoline to which ethanol has been added are greater in hot weather than in cold weather ==> not correct ==> because evaporative emission in ethanol is major component of smog in hot weather

(C) the disadvantages of adding ethanol to gasoline are likely to be outweighed by the advantages, at least in cold weather ==> not correct ==> the smog will actually be less in cold weather

(D) it is not necessary to work at reducing exhaust emissions in large cities ==>

(E) adding ethanol to the gasoline used in large cities will improve air quality in the cities in hot weather ==> correct ==> evaporative emission in ethanol is major component of smog in large cities in hot weather but it also poses less of air pollution which is in consideration here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 20

Re: gasoline used in cars [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 19:40
Thanks for your inputs. OA C
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 712 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: gasoline used in cars [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 21:34
Rohit,

Can you explain why C?

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

Re: gasoline used in cars [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 23:20
IMO C,
it cannot be E, because adding ethanol cannot improve air quailty. It is true that it will not add to pollution, but improving Air quality is too far we are expecting. It is said that it has less exhaust emission, from this we cannot infer about quality of emission and thereby its contribution towards air pollution.

Can someone tell us the Official ans...:)

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: gasoline used in cars [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 12:44
(A) ethanol should be added only to gasoline intended for use in large cities
-- Irrelevant conclusion. Since this conclusion is focusing more on large cities rather than the advantages / disadvantages of using ethanol in gasoline. Hence A cannot be a correct answer choice.

(B) the benefits of using gasoline to which ethanol has been added are greater in hot weather than in cold weather
-- Opposite to what the author wants to convey. Hence cannot be correct answer choice.

(C) the disadvantages of adding ethanol to gasoline are likely to be outweighed by the advantages, at least in cold weather
-- The trap here I feel that many people might fall in is the phrase likely to be outweighed by. In other words we can state the answer choice as - the advantages will outweigh the disadvantages of adding ethanol to gasoline, atleast in cold weather.This is what we can conclude from the given premise. Hence C is correct answer choice.

(D) it is not necessary to work at reducing exhaust emissions in large cities
-- Opposite to what the author wants to convey. Hence cannot be correct answer choice.

(E) adding ethanol to the gasoline used in large cities will improve air quality in the cities in hot weather
-- Similar to D. Opposite to what the author wants to convey. Hence cannot be correct answer choice.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 169

Re: gasoline used in cars [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2010, 07:30
to the author: re: I always get these kind of questions wrong. Is there any way I can improve on these kind of questions?
Please suggest.

LSAT Critical Reasoning Bible + Gmatclub.com - CR questions sections - use

ful because you see explanations from various people and therefore your learning is very active.

I will greatly appreciate your KUDOS my friends!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: gasoline used in cars [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2010, 00:47
The stimulus states that in winter, evaporative emissions pose less of a pollution problem than exhaust emissions do. In summer their harmful effects could be at par or more than that of exhaust emissions. E states that ethanol-gasoline would improve air quality in hot weather, which is wrong. So E is definitely out. Option C, correctly summarizes the stimulus

Raptor

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: gasoline used in cars [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 01:36
ethanol reduces exhaust increases evaporation in hot weather.
Cold weather evaporation less and exhaust also less.Hence lesser air pollution.

clearly C scores here.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: gasoline used in cars [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 04:33
IMO C
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: gasoline used in cars [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 02:15
seekmba wrote:
Adding ethanol ==> reduces exhaust emission and increases evaporative emission

evaporative emission ==> major component of smog found in large cities in hot summer months

evaporative emission ==> reduces air pollution compared to exhaust emission

If air pollution is only consideration....

(A) ethanol shoud be added only to gasoline for use in large cities ==> will not help in air pollution

(B) benefits of using gasoline to which ethanol has been added are greater in hot weather than in cold weather ==> not correct ==> because evaporative emission in ethanol is major component of smog in hot weather

(C) the disadvantages of adding ethanol to gasoline are likely to be outweighed by the advantages, at least in cold weather ==> not correct ==> the smog will actually be less in cold weather

(D) it is not necessary to work at reducing exhaust emissions in large cities ==>

(E) adding ethanol to the gasoline used in large cities will improve air quality in the cities in hot weather ==> correct ==> evaporative emission in ethanol is major component of smog in large cities in hot weather but it also poses less of air pollution which is in consideration here.

looks like you inadvertently flipped the meaning of C
Re: gasoline used in cars   [#permalink] 13 May 2012, 02:15