Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the flowing most logically completes the argument?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 4

Which of the flowing most logically completes the argument? [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 10:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (02:34) correct 35% (01:43) wrong based on 494 sessions

The attribution of the choral work Lacrimae to the composer Pescard (1400 – 1474) has been regarded as tentative, since it was based on a single treatise from the early 1500’s that named Pescard as the composer. Recently, several musical treatises from the late 1500’s have come to light, all of which name Pescard as the composer of Lacrimae. Unfortunately, these newly discovered treatises lend no support to the attribution of Lacrimae to Pescard, since _______.

A. the treatise from the early 1500’s misidentifies the composers of some of the musical works it considers
B. the author of the treatise from the early 1500’s had no very strong evidence on which to base the identification of Pescard as the composer of Lacrimae
C. there are works that can conclusively be attributed to Pescard that are not even mentioned in the treatise from the early 1500’s
D. the later treatises probably had no source for their attribution other than the earlier treatise
E. no known treatises from the 1600’s identify Pescard as the composer of Lacrimae

Didn't understand the question...
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [1] , given: 31

Re: The attribution of the choral work Lacrimae [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
bsv180985 wrote:

The attribution of the choral work Lacrimae to the composer Pescard (1400 – 1474) has been regarded as tentative, since it was based on a single treatise from the early 1500’s that named Pescard as the composer. Recently, several musical treatises from the late 1500’s have come to light, all of which name Pescard as the composer of Lacrimae. Unfortunately, these newly discovered treatises lend no support to the attribution of Lacrimae to Pescard, since _______.

A. the treatise from the early 1500’s misidentifies the composers of some of the musical works it considers
B. the author of the treatise from the early 1500’s had no very strong evidence on which to base the identification of Pescard as the composer of Lacrimae
C. there are works that can conclusively be attributed to Pescard that are not even mentioned in the treatise from the early 1500’s
D. the later treatises probably had no source for their attribution other than the earlier treatise
E. no known treatises from the 1600’s identify Pescard as the composer of Lacrimae

My guess is D

This is the way I understood it:
Lacrimae is believed to be composed by Pescard but even that is in doubt. Recently the treatises have attributed the work to Pescard. However, one cannot say Lacrimae was composed by Pescard because:

D is the best answer for me
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD- WL, IE - Apr 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: The attribution of the choral work Lacrimae [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 13:46
I narrowed them down to A & D. However the passage doesn't provide any information about the 'misidentification'. But it is possible that later treaties could be wrongly identified as there were no other sources than the earlier treaties. Since earlier ones are tentatively accepted, the later ones may not be accepted at all!
Therefore IMO D.

P.S. Certain words in the para may not be easily identifiable, however it is important to understand the gist that the passage conveys. Think of 'treaties' as a 'work of art', for instance.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 6

Re: The attribution of the choral work Lacrimae [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2009, 15:44
IMO D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 4

Re: The attribution of the choral work Lacrimae [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 00:58
Yes, guys.
OA is...D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: The attribution of the choral work Lacrimae [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 20:36
good one. I too go with choice D.
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: The attribution of the choral work Lacrimae [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 05:24
between B and D,went for B rejecting D just because the later treatise were based on an earlier treatise.I believed that the answer choice is assuming that the earlier treatise is not very reliable source.

However, B clearly brought out this assumption,stating that the evidence was not very reliable.

But D is definitely relating to the newer treatise,whereas B just talks about the old treatise only.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 51

Re: The attribution of the choral work Lacrimae [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 02:20
D is clear and straight forward here. once the focus is on conclusion, the question becomes easy.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: Which of the flowing most logically completes the argument? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 11:38
Can someone please explain why E is wrong?
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Which of the flowing most logically completes the argument? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 11:08
its d because that logically completes the argument

just one more month for exam...

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 109

Re: Which of the flowing most logically completes the argument? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 10:57
+1 D

Both treatises are the same source.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 11

Re: Which of the flowing most logically completes the argument? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 08:42
Babzsn84 wrote:
Can someone please explain why E is wrong?

This is completely Out of Scope. The argument does not even talk about the 1600's era.

The only point the arguments conveys is : The new treatise is not reliable either as its source is the ONLY treatise that is a part of the early 1500 period, and that too is not reliable.

You want something, go get it . Period !

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 107

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Which of the flowing most logically completes the argument? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 23:21
Expert's post
Hi e-GMAT,
Can you please come up with an explanation here why B is wrong over D? I found these two close ones and then chose D but unfortunately as 2nd thought selected B which got me wrong.

@Chiranjeev- look forward to your analysis!

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Which of the flowing most logically completes the argument? [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2014, 08:42
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 138

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Which of the flowing most logically completes the argument? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2014, 02:18
bsv180985 wrote:

OFFICIAL ANSWER IS CLEAR ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND THE QUESTION

Here is the office answer

Situation: A choral work has been tentatively attributed to Pescard based on a single treatise from
the early 1500s. But several treatises from the late 1500s have recently been discovered,
and all of them attribute the work to Pescard.

Reasoning: Which of the answer choices provides the strongest reason for the conclusion? The argument’s
conclusion is that the newly discovered late-1500 treatises lend no support to the
attribution of Lacrimae to Pescard. It is worth noting that prior to the conclusion the
passage provides information which suggests that these newly discovered treatises do lend
support to the attribution. So the question is: Why don’t they? A good reason for
thinking they do not is that the newly discovered treatises probably derive solely from the
attribution given in the earlier text. Thus the attributions in the later treatises are only as
reliable as the attribution in the earlier treatise—and the argument suggests that that
reliability has not been conclusively established.

A This makes the treatise from the early 1500s less reliable, but it does not explain why the newly
discovered treatises are unreliable.

B Like answer choice (A), this is irrelevant. The question is not why the treatise from the early 1500s
fails to lend support to the attribution but why the treatises from the late 1500s fail to do so.

C This is irrelevant because it does not refer to the newly discovered treatises whose attribution of
Lacrimae is at issue.

D Correct. The question is whether these newly discovered treatises lend additional support.
Lacrimae has already been tentatively attributed to Pescard based on the text from the early 1500s.
So, if the later treatises base their attribution solely on the earlier treatise, then they provide no
additional support beyond that already provided by the earlier treatise.

E This leaves open the possibility that there was no treatise at all in the 1600s that discussed Pescard
or Lacrimae. Also, it fails to provide significant evidence either for or against Pescard’s having
composed Lacrimae. But even if it did provide such evidence, it would be irrelevant because the
issue is why the late-1500 treatises fail to provide significant support for the attribution of
Lacrimae to Pescard, not whether Pescard composed the work.

The correct answer is D.

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Re: Which of the flowing most logically completes the argument?   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2014, 02:18