Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 02:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following best approximates the percent by

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [3] , given: 13

Which of the following best approximates the percent by [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 02:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (02:15) correct 36% (01:33) wrong based on 143 sessions
Which of the following best approximates the percent by which the distance from A to C along a diagonal of square ABCD reduces the distance from A to C around the edge of square ABCD?

A. 30%
B. 43%
C. 45%
D. 50%
E. 70%
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3359

Kudos [?]: 24345 [1] , given: 2677

Re: Square Diagonal versus Perimeter [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 03:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
vivaslluis wrote:
Hello,

I've seen the following example that I have doubts to solve:

Which of the following best approximates the percent by which the distance from A to C along a diagonal of square ABCD reduces the distance from A to C around the edge of square ABCD?
a. 30%
b. 43%
c. 45%
d. 50%
e. 70%

Thank you

Le the side of a square be a.

Route from A to C along a diagonal AC is \sqrt{2}a\approx{1.4a};
Route from A to C around the edge ABC is 2a;

Difference is 2a-1.4a=0.6a --> \frac{0.6a}{2a}=0.3=30%.

Answer: A.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 13

Re: Square Diagonal versus Perimeter [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 13:44
Great! Thank you!!! :-D
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 7

Re: Square Diagonal versus Perimeter [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2010, 02:19
Could someone please explain to me the wording of the problem? I thought that the phrase:

Quote:
... by which the distance from A to C along a diagonal of square ABCD reduces ...

means 1.4a/2a = 70%

I am a little bit confused here. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: Square Diagonal versus Perimeter [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 10:16
Please read the question carefully, the question says - "..the percent by which the distance from A to C along a diagonal of square ABCD reduces the distance from A to C around the edge of square ABCD?"

So its not asking what percent the diagonal is of the distance around the edge but rather the percent of the difference between the two distances.

Hope this was helpful.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: Square Diagonal versus Perimeter [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 15:39
Using formula for 45-45-90 triangle, diagonal = sqrt(2) of the each side.

Answer:- A
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 95

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 20

Re: Square Diagonal versus Perimeter [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 12:07
Great discussion, everyone - I just want to point out that (fittingly), gettinit gets it! One of the easiest things for the GMAT to do to make a pretty hard problem very hard is to bait you toward answering the wrong question. I've seen them do this a lot with Geometry problems that involve percents - there's a significant but subtle difference between:

Percent OF
and Percent GREATER THAN or LESS THAN

When you see a percentage problem, make sure you pause to answer the right question because pretty much any percent problem could be asked in either way.

For another example that also includes squares and diagonals, you may want to check out: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2010/11/gmat-challenge-question-the-squared-circle/

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Square Diagonal versus Perimeter [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 15:46
This post received
KUDOS
You could use pythagorean theorem to solve this.

x^2+x^2=y^2

All sides of a square are equal, hence the two x^2. Plug in any number and solve.

vivaslluis wrote:
Hello,

a. 30%
b. 43%
c. 45%
d. 50%
e. 70%

Thank you
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 95

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 20

Re: Square Diagonal versus Perimeter [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 20:08
Hey Trojan,

Great call on that - even if you have the x-x-x*sqrt 2 ratio memorized, I think it's important to know where it comes from. In the a^2 + b^2 = c^2 Pythagorean Theorem, if we know that a = b then it's really 2a^2 = c^2.

And deriving that for yourself once or twice means there's very little chance you ever forget it (and you know you can always go back and prove it if you do forget).

Thanks for bringing that up - I'm a huge fan of knowledge over memorization!

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: Square Diagonal versus Perimeter [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 18:45
Brian great challenge question post -it fits this question perfectly!

VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Great discussion, everyone - I just want to point out that (fittingly), gettinit gets it! One of the easiest things for the GMAT to do to make a pretty hard problem very hard is to bait you toward answering the wrong question. I've seen them do this a lot with Geometry problems that involve percents - there's a significant but subtle difference between:

Percent OF
and Percent GREATER THAN or LESS THAN

When you see a percentage problem, make sure you pause to answer the right question because pretty much any percent problem could be asked in either way.

For another example that also includes squares and diagonals, you may want to check out: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2010/11/gmat-challenge-question-the-squared-circle/
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 18

Re: Square Diagonal versus Perimeter [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 05:50
Bunuel wrote:
vivaslluis wrote:
Hello,

a. 30%
b. 43%
c. 45%
d. 50%
e. 70%

Thank you

Hi ,
i am confused about the denominator in the equation.

if the equation is (2a-1.4a) then the denominator should be 1.4a ???
how it is 2a??? not geeting...
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3359

Kudos [?]: 24345 [0], given: 2677

Re: Square Diagonal versus Perimeter [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 05:53
Expert's post
sunny3011 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
vivaslluis wrote:
Hello,

a. 30%
b. 43%
c. 45%
d. 50%
e. 70%

Thank you

Hi ,
i am confused about the denominator in the equation.

if the equation is (2a-1.4a) then the denominator should be 1.4a ???
how it is 2a??? not geeting...

We are comparing to the route from A to C around the edge, which is 2a, so 2a must be in the denominator.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Square Diagonal versus Perimeter   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2013, 05:53