Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following best completes the passage below?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 7

Which of the following best completes the passage below? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 23:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

50% (02:48) correct 50% (01:28) wrong based on 118 sessions
Monarch butterflies, whose average life span is nine months, migrate from the midwestern United States to selected forests outside Mexico City. It takes at least three generations of monarchs to make the journey, so the great-great-grandchildren who finally arrive in the Mexican forests have never been there before. Yet they return to the same trees their forebears left. Scientists theorize that monarchs, like homing pigeons, map their routes according to the earth’s electromagnetic fields. As a first step in testing this theory, lepidopterists plan to install a low-voltage transmitter inside one grove of “butterfly trees” in the Mexican forests. If the butterflies are either especially attracted to the grove with the transmitter or especially repelled by it, lepidopterists will have evidence that______
(A) monarch butterflies have brains, however minuscule
(B) monarch butterflies are sensitive to electricity
(C) low-voltage electricity can affect butterflies, whether positively or adversely ===
(D) monarchs map their routes according to the earth’s electromagnetic fields
(E) monarchs communicate in intergenerationally via electromagnetic fields

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Manager
Manager

Re: CR....Monarch butterflies, whose average life span is nine [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 23:00
How to choose between B and C ...??

Shikhar

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 31

Re: CR....Monarch butterflies, whose average life span is nine [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 01:14
shikhar wrote:
Monarch butterflies, whose average life span is nine months, migrate from the midwestern United States to selected forests outside Mexico City. It takes at least three generations of monarchs to make the journey, so the great-great-grandchildren who finally arrive in the Mexican forests have never been there before. Yet they return to the same trees their forebears left. Scientists theorize that monarchs, like homing pigeons, map their routes according to the earth’s electromagnetic fields. As a first step in testing this theory, lepidopterists plan to install a low-voltage transmitter inside one grove of “butterfly trees” in the Mexican forests. If the butterflies are either especially attracted to the grove with the transmitter or especially repelled by it, lepidopterists will have evidence that______
(C) low-voltage electricity can affect butterflies, whether positively or adversely ===

B should be correct.
the experiment is performed to test if butterflies are sensitive or not, whether the low voltage affects positively or negatively is irrelevant to scientists.

Main purpose is just to know if they are affected by the elctricity

B summarizes this correctly.

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager

Re: CR....Monarch butterflies, whose average life span is nine [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 01:29
yeah you are right ,
option C says low voltage affects butterflies , whether +ve or -ve is not the concern.
+c option is closer also since the scientists have used low voltage transmitter.
in general electricity might have other results as well depending on the magnitude.

Shikhar

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR....Monarch butterflies, whose average life span is nine [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 04:04
Quote:

isn't that supposed to be the answer which exactly summarises why the low-voltage transmitter were used in the first place ?

This time its personal..

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: CR....Monarch butterflies, whose average life span is nine [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 05:02
I agree with slay3r. The issue here is not that you can electricute the great grand son of the butterfly but that the butterfly relies on the magnetic field of the earth for course mapping

Posted from my mobile device Image

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR....Monarch butterflies, whose average life span is nine [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 06:26
shikhar wrote:

SHould D not the answer...because the prose says " so the great-great-grandchildren who finally arrive in the Mexican forests have never been there before. Yet they return to the same trees their forebears left. Scientists theorize that monarchs, like homing pigeons, map their routes according to the earth’s electromagnetic fields"

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Manager
Manager

Re: CR....Monarch butterflies, whose average life span is nine [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 21:55
D cannot be the answer because ,Its too strong a statement ,to make on the basis of a small experiment.
this was just the first step of the experiment which has just proved that these flies show some response to the presence of electromagnetic field , but it does not prove that the flies map their way with the help of electromagnetic field. There could be other factors which dominate this factor.

Shikhar

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR....Monarch butterflies, whose average life span is nine [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 17:57
C is the answer.
D can not be the answer as the experiment is to test the sesitivity of butterflies to the electro magentic fields. Not how the route is passed down the generations..
I am not sure why B is eliminated. My explanation is that since scientists tested with low voltage transmitter, electricity in the options leads to expanding the experiment to all levels, not only low voltage.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-11-2012
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: CR....Monarch butterflies, whose average life span is nine [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 07:37
I got D as answer though. Easily fell into the trap. I just thought based on the premise the "scientist guys" are checking electromagnetic fields and the "evidence" suggests the electromagnetic field.

OA seems to be B. http://www.beatthegmat.com/complete-the ... 20503.html

“When I was young I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures, so I did ten times more work.” ~ Bernard Shaw

Kudos me if I helped you in any way.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 611 [1] , given: 5

Re: CR....Monarch butterflies, whose average life span is nine [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shikhar wrote:

The wording of the answer choice for (B) is not the best, but it is the best answer choice here. It's really that the butterflies' route is sensitive to electricity, not so much that butterflies physically themselves are sensitive to electricity.

(D) says the butterflies route according to earth's electromagnetic fields. Well, that is the argument originally hypothesized, we are trying to find the assumption.
So as an assumption, we are using a volt transmitter to simulate the electromagnetic fields (an assumption linking the earth's electromagnetic fields and a volt transmitter).

If we are testing with a volt transmitter, this is not evidence that routes are based on the earth's electromagnetic fields. Keyword here is "earth" - the butterflies may be sensitive to some magnetic fields and we may have evidence for that...but making the stretch to the conclusion that we are talking about the "earth's" electromagnetic field is not supported.

(D) simply restates the argument. But because of the example used and the lack of a link between transmitter and earth's electromagnetic fields, we can only say that butterflies (at least their route) are sensitive to electricity (assumed to be linked to these volt transmitters). Thus (B) is the better answer.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR....Monarch butterflies, whose average life span is nine [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 00:15
shikhar wrote:

The correct answer should be B. Choice D is too far to reach. The lepidopterists only set up the transmitter into one grove of "butterfly trees", not the Earth' electromagnetic field (EEF). The center word is EEF. There is no bridge between the transmitter and the EEF, so this is the ambiguous assumption if we choose D. Choice B is more correct because we do not need that bridge to reach the conclusion.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR....Monarch butterflies, whose average life span is nine [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 00:10
(A) monarch butterflies have brains, however minuscule - Irrelevant information - Incorrect
(B) monarch butterflies are sensitive to electricity - Since they are sensitive to electricity, the butterflies are able to find their way. - Correct
(C) low-voltage electricity can affect butterflies, whether positively or adversely - What kind of affect is uncertain and how does this affect help butterflies find their way - Incorrect
(D) monarchs map their routes according to the earth’s electromagnetic fields - Already mentioned in the premise - Incorrect
(E) monarchs communicate in intergenerationally via electromagnetic fields - This option goes too far to link the communication mechanism in butterflies - Incorrect
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 02:27
shikhar wrote:

A. Brains not tackled anywhere in the passage
B. this is just right, no jumpy conclusions
C. The issue is sensitivity. If they are repelled we cannot tell just yet that they are adversely affected by it.. It could be just like a smelly cheese they wanted to get away from but has no adverse effects...
D. The passage says this is just the first step to test the theory. Hence, this cannot be concluded just yet.
E. finding routes and not communicating with each other is the issue

Answer: B

Impossible is nothing to God.

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below?   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2013, 02:27