Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following best completes the passage below?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Which of the following best completes the passage below? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 13:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (01:47) correct 23% (00:19) wrong based on 74 sessions

People buy prestige when they buy a premium product. They want to be associated with something special. Mass-marketing techniques and price-reduction strategies should not be used because______

(A) affluent purchasers currently represent a shrinking portion of the population of all purchasers
(B) continued sales depend directly on the maintenance of an aura of exclusivity
(C) purchasers of premium products are concerned with the quality as well as with the price of the products
(D) expansion of the market niche to include a broader spectrum of consumers will increase profits
(E) manufacturing a premium brand is not necessarily more costly than manufacturing a standard brand of the same product

I got this wrong please can some one help?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by mau5 on 25 Oct 2013, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Added the OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 16

Re: People buy prestige when [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 15:21
sagarsabnis wrote:

People buy prestige when they buy a premium product. They want to be associated with something special. Mass-marketing techniques and price-reduction strategies should not be used because______

(A) affluent purchasers currently represent a shrinking portion of the population of all purchasers
(B) continued sales depend directly on the maintenance of an aura of exclusivity
(C) purchasers of premium products are concerned with the quality as well as with the price of the products
(D) expansion of the market niche to include a broader spectrum of consumers will increase profits
(E) manufacturing a premium brand is not necessarily more costly than manufacturing a standard brand of the same product

Premise 1: People buy prestige when they buy a premium product. They want to be associated with something special.
Premise 2: Mass-marketing techniques and price-reduction strategies are bad

you need to connect how making something more available/affordable negatively affects premise 1. The only one that addresses this is B.

A) doesn't explain mass marketings affect
b) correct
c) doesnt explain how mass marketing can affect sales.
d) this says that mass marketing and price reduction is good --> increases profits.
e) we are not concerned with comparing premium with standard brands.

If you like my post, a kudos is always appreciated ;)

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: People buy prestige when [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2010, 13:13
I am still not clear in fact i am not able to understand option B please can you give it a one more try.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [3] , given: 16

Re: People buy prestige when [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2010, 16:10
This post received
KUDOS
sagarsabnis wrote:
I am still not clear in fact i am not able to understand option B please can you give it a one more try.

Option B says that we can only maintain current sales levels if the product is perceived as an exclusive luxury brand. Because of this perception, it's more desirable as more people want to own a prestigious brand.

example: BMW is perceived as a luxury brand and hence it sells alot of cars to people that can afford them. If it were to cut its prices, the people that can afford a BMW would no longer desire a BMW, they will go buy a different luxury brand , say a Mercedez Benz.

If you like my post, a kudos is always appreciated ;)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 15

Re: People buy prestige when [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 09:56
Its B because it pitches exclusivity and mass production (making it common and not unique)
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: People buy prestige when [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 14:46
yes agreed....
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: People buy prestige when [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 16:28
sagarsabnis wrote:

B for sure.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 460 Q38 V17
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.56
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 134

Re: People buy prestige when [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 01:03
firasath wrote:
sagarsabnis wrote:

Premise 1: People buy prestige when they buy a premium product. They want to be associated with something special.
Premise 2: Mass-marketing techniques and price-reduction strategies are bad

you need to connect how making something more available/affordable negatively affects premise 1. The only one that addresses this is B.

A) doesn't explain mass marketings affect
b) correct
c) doesnt explain how mass marketing can affect sales.
d) this says that mass marketing and price reduction is good --> increases profits.
e) we are not concerned with comparing premium with standard brands.

Can you explain why C is wrong? Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 02:17
As firasath correctly noted, C doesnt explain how mass marketing can affect sales. Further "the quality" (mentioned in C) has nothing to do with "Mass-marketing techniques and price-reduction strategies".
Intern
Intern

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 11:10
(B) continued sales depend directly on the maintenance of an aura of exclusivity (aura of exclusivity makes it the best answer choice)
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 75

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 20:27
People buy a premium product ( which is not very common and not everyone is accessible or eligible to buy it ) and therefore they buy prestige ( exclusivity and the pride to own something special) along with the product.
They want to be associated with some special (which is not common to all) such products.

Mass marketing makes a product common,so a large population uses that product,the exclusivity reduces and the prestige vanishes.Price reduction plays an important role, it means that when larger population to consume or buy that product the aura exclusivity of the product vanishes.

(B) has this in it.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 22:12
sagarsabnis wrote:

:arrow: The answer is B , but the option C is also close as if I am a premium product buyer I would be concerned with the quality ( which I presume should be the best in the whole world) and the price ( Which has to be high enough to ensure me that every other person cannot afford the product).

:idea: said that, I would also like to add that option C has nothing or very little to do with Mass-marketing techniques and price-reduction strategies as compared to option B. So i would most definitely go with option B
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 23:18
As per MGMAT Topic wise matrix this is a Strengthen questions but as per power score CR it is a assumption ques since it has a "because" in it....

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below?   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2013, 23:18